Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 PM

850 posts, read 1,902,022 times

Advertisements

Here is the story:

We decided to play Scrabble, he said he didn't want to play because I 'take too long' during my turn. I agreed that I would go fast (I guess that would be 3-4 minutes per turn). Well, it went good until the end when I could not find something, so I said I would pass. He said that meant I had to turn in all my tiles and pick all new ones. I didn't want to do that because I had good tiles! So I tried to find a two letter word I could make, and still couldn't find one. He said that he couldn't play anymore because I had just taken 8 minutes.

Here's the thing, I have Lyme disease and it's really hard sometimes to......well, THINK. But he says I'm just using that as an excuse, and that I purposely took a long time just to irritate him. Is that not totally demented? Why would I do that? I was going as fast as I could! If anything I was stressing out trying to make sure I went fast enough. My conclusion is that he just doesn't have the patience to play with a slow person....but he states it's because we 'play differently'. Bullsh*t! He's rude! If I'm wrong, please tell me why. I guess I never should have said I would play quickly when I'm not capable, but you would think your own husband would be a little understanding about it. It's pretty hurtful having an illness when your own husband seems irritated by it rather than caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 09:21 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,342,518 times
I think you should find another game to play together. Maybe its just me, but 8 minutes to make a play seems like a very long time. I'm not sure many people would like sitting for 8 minutes waiting for someone to make a play.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,103,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
My conclusion is that he just doesn't have the patience to play with a slow person....but he states it's because we 'play differently'. Bullsh*t! He's rude!
You're insulting him also by calling him impatient, which is rude.

You DO play differently. I agree that 8 minutes to make a Scrabble play is asking a lot lol. How could you not make a play if you had such good tiles you didn't want to give up?

Just let him get up and do something around the house while you decide your tiles, or pick a different game that doesn't require you to think so much, since you know that is a problem for you.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:32 PM

I did not take 8 minutes each turn....my last turn was 8 minutes (according to him), and that's how the game is toward the end, when space is running out and everyone crowds the tiles on one side of the board. The other turns were like 2-5 minutes, which he took that long as well.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
I would find some other activity to do together.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I would find some other activity to do together.
I agree.

We cannot play Monopoly in our house because of a bad experience lol. It doesn't have to be a character flaw. Just pick something else, OP.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:39 PM

I could care less if we ever play Scrabble again....that's not really the point. I just think that if you love someone you don't make them feel bad for taking too long (at the end of the game when it gets more difficult)....that's all. We've already agreed that we cannot play Scrabble.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
I just think that if you love someone you don't make them feel bad for taking too long (at the end of the game when it gets more difficult)....that's all.
You can't set someone up like that.

You can't say, "If you loved me, then ..." because he could argue that he already proved he loves you by playing Scrabble with you when he didn't even want to in the first place. He had already passed one test before embarking on this night of "fun." And people who claim to love their spouses aren't supposed to test them like that.

Neither one of you is going about this the right way. It sounds like you need to have a sit-down about your illness and honesty and respect.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You can't set someone up like that.

You can't say, "If you loved me, then ..." because he could argue that he already proved he loves you by playing Scrabble with you when he didn't even want to in the first place. He had already passed one test before embarking on this night of "fun." And people who claim to love their spouses aren't supposed to test them like that.

Neither one of you is going about this the right way. It sounds like you need to have a sit-down about your illness and honesty and respect.
I don't feel I set anyone up....at least not intentionally. I really wanted to play, and he was the one who initially suggested it. I played by his rules the entire game, until the end when I took too long on my last turn. This was no test to see if he loves me....what are you talking about? We've discussed my illness, he basically wants nothing to do with it and I try not to mention it to him because what's the point? He doesn't want to hear it. Nothing to talk about there.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:11 PM

461 posts, read 511,078 times
Yes, your husband is rude. Not because of the Scrabble game necessarily but because he wants nothing to do with your disease! Your disease is part of you and how you function now. You can't just ignore it. He sounds like an insensitive jerk. I think you both could benefit from counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships