Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,385 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 (F)
Ayden is 21 (M)

Ayden and I have worked at the same company for over a year now. Up until a few months ago, before our company moved to bigger office, Ayden and I didn't really speak. We didn't work near each other in the old office and our projects out in the field kept us busy.

Since we moved to a bigger office, Ayden and I now sit at cubicles right in front of each other.

We started saying hi, and smiling at each other and being friendly. We found out that my new project is just a few blocks away from his.

One day when I pulled into the gas station to fill up my truck, I saw Ayden was walking out of the store as I was walking in. He saw me and turned around, and followed me in. I don't remember what he said but he was being annoying and silly and when I went back out to my truck he was sitting in my drivers seat just being silly. He asked me if I wanted to go to lunch, at Chick Fil A, so we went to lunch and it was pleasant (paid separate)

Ayden is a super nice guy, he's kind of quiet, he's not obnoxious, and he's just a good guy.

Everyone in the office teases us and asks if we're together. Sometimes he asks me to help him with his work, and read out numbers to him as he checks his sheet. And we'll end up playing around, he'll grab my wrist or poke my stomach or he'll write this stupid nickname he calls me, on my desk in white out. If he does something and I wince or go owww he'll be like how did that even hurt? Do it to me - and I'll do it back to him. If I'm at the printer he'll come over and poke me and lightly elbow me or block the doorway and then I push him. Just silly stuff.

Since Chick Fil A, we've gone to a cafe for lunch (paid separate) and to also Red Robin for lunch (he paid).

We haven't been to lunch for about 2 weeks, so the other day I texted him "Are we ever going to go to lunch again?"

He didn't respond for 2 days. Then he texts me "You wanna get some Chipotle today?" I didn't respond.

The next day he comes into the office and says "Hey, thanks for responding to my text, I had to eat lunch all by myself yesterday" I said "Hey" I stood up and got my stuff off the printer, and he asks me "Are you mad at me" I said "no why?" he said "your'e giving me the cold shoulder and looking at me weird" I said "nope, and I'm not even looking at you" I smiled and went back to work and he left, and went out to his project.

I was off for a few days, I went on a trip. And when I came back to work someone told me that Ayden was looking for me when I was gone. I didn't see him for a few days since I'd come back, so I text him.

Me (2:30 pm) Hi
Ayden (6:00pm) Sup girlie
Ayden (7:30 pm) Good talk
Me: (8:00 pm) I was at dinner, its rude to text when you're with people!
Ayden (8:30 pm) BS lol

And that's pretty much it. I'm just kind of confused. I'm starting to like him a little and I'm just wondering.. Does he like me? or am I just "that girl at work" to him? Or is he just being nice?

Last edited by sdk_bx; 09-23-2015 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:26 PM

277 posts, read 271,472 times
You did sound like you gave him a cold shoulder. I don't think he'd want to have lunch/dinner with you if he didn't like your company. At this point don't kill yourself wondering if he likes you as a girl or not. He wants to spend more time with you, and that's very nice, AND it gives you the opportunity to seduce him Before it's too late and he decides you are not into him at all, I say make peace with him and go to lunch and start answering the texts, even if they are late/short answers. Life's too short to run after your tail wondering does he or does he not. Go out with him and you'll find out Good luck!

Old 09-23-2015, 07:29 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I wouldn't recommend getting involved with anyone from work.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Looks like all that silly behavior will finally affect your work, and get you in trouble. Dating someone so close at work isn't a good idea. Just imagine what would happen if things don't get well between two of you? You split or get mad on each other, but still need to work in cubicles right in front of each other ...

Also there will be coworkers watching your body language, listen to your conversations, asking or making up stories about your private life. All that is unnecessary drama, and stuff you don't want at your workplace.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk_bx View Post

He didn't respond for 2 days. Then he texts me "You wanna get some Chipotle today?" I didn't respond.

Number 1, don't date people you work with.

Number 2, by not responding, you were being rude and showing you were not interested.

Number 3, see Number 1.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:15 PM

277 posts, read 271,472 times
i disagree with not dating people you work with. it depends on each person's level of maturity and drama-less, but in a world where you spend so much time of your life at work, it's only natural to connect with people that you actually interact with. If it doesnt work out, it doesn't have to end dramatically. You can just make a deal to end it gracefully if it's not a good match. And you don't have to show PDA at work. Keep it for after hours. What's a better place to meet people? At the bar? At least when they are at work you know they passed their background check and that their school diploma is legit

Old 09-24-2015, 05:38 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk_bx View Post
I'm 22 (F)
Ayden is 21 (M)

Ayden and I have worked at the same company for over a year now. Up until a few months ago, before our company moved to bigger office, Ayden and I didn't really speak. We didn't work near each other in the old office and our projects out in the field kept us busy.

Since we moved to a bigger office, Ayden and I now sit at cubicles right in front of each other.

We started saying hi, and smiling at each other and being friendly. We found out that my new project is just a few blocks away from his.

One day when I pulled into the gas station to fill up my truck, I saw Ayden was walking out of the store as I was walking in. He saw me and turned around, and followed me in. I don't remember what he said but he was being annoying and silly and when I went back out to my truck he was sitting in my drivers seat just being silly. He asked me if I wanted to go to lunch, at Chick Fil A, so we went to lunch and it was pleasant (paid separate)

Ayden is a super nice guy, he's kind of quiet, he's not obnoxious, and he's just a good guy.

Everyone in the office teases us and asks if we're together. Sometimes he asks me to help him with his work, and read out numbers to him as he checks his sheet. And we'll end up playing around, he'll grab my wrist or poke my stomach or he'll write this stupid nickname he calls me, on my desk in white out. If he does something and I wince or go owww he'll be like how did that even hurt? Do it to me - and I'll do it back to him. If I'm at the printer he'll come over and poke me and lightly elbow me or block the doorway and then I push him. Just silly stuff.

Since Chick Fil A, we've gone to a cafe for lunch (paid separate) and to also Red Robin for lunch (he paid).

We haven't been to lunch for about 2 weeks, so the other day I texted him "Are we ever going to go to lunch again?"

The next day he comes into the office and says "Hey, thanks for responding to my text, I had to eat lunch all by myself yesterday" I said "Hey" I stood up and got my stuff off the printer, and he asks me "Are you mad at me" I said "no why?" he said "your'e giving me the cold shoulder and looking at me weird" I said "nope, and I'm not even looking at you" I smiled and went back to work and he left, and went out to his project.

I was off for a few days, I went on a trip. And when I came back to work someone told me that Ayden was looking for me when I was gone. I didn't see him for a few days since I'd come back, so I text him.

Me (2:30 pm) Hi
Ayden (6:00pm) Sup girlie
Ayden (7:30 pm) Good talk
Me: (8:00 pm) I was at dinner, its rude to text when you're with people!
Ayden (8:30 pm) BS lol

And that's pretty much it. I'm just kind of confused. I'm starting to like him a little and I'm just wondering.. Does he like me? or am I just "that girl at work" to him? Or is he just being nice?
'I kinda-sorta like him, but I absolutely must throw game-playing in there somewhere. I haven't overcome my genetic programming yet.'

Old 09-24-2015, 07:06 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,374 times
If you liked the guy you sure sent different signals. You were rude, petty and childish. Also, you may want to shy away from office romances, they tend not to work out as you're experiencing now.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:07 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
I would have done the same thing you did, not respond to his lunch text since he didn't respond for two days{rude}. Just slowly pull away from him and keep it work related.

I agree with the others, don't date anyone you work with. It may start out pleasant but may end horribly. The events that have transpired already show signs it won't work. If you date and break up, working there and sitting across from him will be very uncomfortable.

My opinion anyway. Good Luck.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:32 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beweirdess View Post
i disagree with not dating people you work with. it depends on each person's level of maturity and drama-less, but in a world where you spend so much time of your life at work, it's only natural to connect with people that you actually interact with. If it doesnt work out, it doesn't have to end dramatically. You can just make a deal to end it gracefully if it's not a good match. And you don't have to show PDA at work. Keep it for after hours. What's a better place to meet people? At the bar? At least when they are at work you know they passed their background check and that their school diploma is legit
Based on her post, she's not mature enough to date someone with whom she works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships