Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 PM

10 posts, read 9,157 times

Advertisements

However long you want it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 10:02 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostandhurt View Post
That's the golden question.
I am kinda smart and stuff, so I often ask golden questions.

Back to you. It seems to me that she is thinking about the future.

How much damage has the car accident done to you? You said you won't feel your palm again. What does that mean? Are you considered a handicap?

Are you done with college? What are your future plans in terms of career? What do you think your earning power will be in the next 5 to 10 years?

Old 09-26-2015, 10:19 PM

220 posts, read 174,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
. It seems to me that she is thinking about the future.
Unfortunately I think your right. It's just I can't help but feel like she thought I would be changed for life, which is not the case. It was a car vs me haha and I was on the street. I suffered from post-concussion syndrome and PTSD + anxiety. Both of which made life hell for me and more emotionally unstable. Fortunately I've conquered the PTSD and would say I'm 95% over PCS. Both of these are temporary and I know in that soon I'm going to be back to my 100%. My cognitive abilities are still rock solid and am definitely not disabled.

Other than that I just have a serious scar where my hand was split and severed the nerves. It's fully functional though I just have a lack of feeling.

I just finished college with a degree in biochemistry. I'm going all out for a job right now and just had a very successful interview and have more lined up next week. I know that I will get a job soon and I'm very qualified for the positions I've applied for. In 10 years my goal is to have a doctorate in something chemistry related and I have the potential to make pretty good money.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:20 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
You can expect it will take at least a year to get most of the pain out of your system and that's a good thing. You want to be fair and objective with your next relationship/s and not use them to plug the hole in your heart. Don't start a new one while you are still in deep mourning.

There's good news, though. Since you maintained a healthy long-term relationship, you'll find it easier in the future, once you find the next true love. Don't rush it or push. When things feel right again, you will know it.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,350 times
Do not see her anymore. All that will do is make you miss her more, so you need to cut off all contact. I know that is hard when you love her, but it is the only way. Contact gives you hope and keeps you clinging to her. There is no answer about when it will get better because it is different for everyone. Try to stay busy and look happy. One day you will wake up and really feel better. Sorry, you are going through this, but we all have been through heartbreak; it is very hard.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:18 AM

220 posts, read 174,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Do not see her anymore. All that will do is make you miss her more, so you need to cut off all contact. I know that is hard when you love her, but it is the only way. Contact gives you hope and keeps you clinging to her. There is no answer about when it will get better because it is different for everyone. Try to stay busy and look happy. One day you will wake up and really feel better. Sorry, you are going through this, but we all have been through heartbreak; it is very hard.
Thank you. Today I am going to do that and start the healing process, but not after one last meeting.

Is this a good or bad idea:

We were both pretty irrational when things ended, and I need it to end on a positive note. I'm going to tell her what I think I did wrong and how it wound't be permanent. Than I'm going to ask her once and only once, is there a chance we can get back together. If she says yes than I won the lottery but I'm prepared for the more likely no. I need that closure however and I'll regret it forever if I don't try. She left things way to open when we split, and wouldn't say if it was final or not, I need to know.

I know that there is a 5% chance of this working, and that's good enough for me. We had a deep love and she never stopped loving me the whole time; she made that very clear but she felt it was best that we separate despite that.

In the no scenario even though the pain will be hard I'm going to delete everything I have about her. There is no sense in pursuing what cannot be won and your right; I'm tired of clinging to that hope if it's foolish.

If it's a no your also right, it's way to soon for a rebound for me. I don't think I'm your standard guy, what made me the happiest in our relationship was making her as happy as can be, not even the sex (which was still good), but I also think I take longer to heal.

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:32 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,658 times
It's healthy to take the time you need to grieve and take steps you need to take to effectively cope with social situations and life's demands. Its not healthy to not grieve a loss of someone you loved, and it works against you if you suppress that sadness and jump back into everything immediately, pretending that you're over it.

If you allow yourself to feel vulnerable and come to terms naturally, you will eventually have peace about your parting ways, and hopefully be able to realize that all things come to an end and that you enjoyed your relationship while it lasted.

Take those good qualities you two had and in the future be able to love someone else again.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:36 AM

10 posts, read 7,657 times
The rule of thumb is that it takes half the duration of the relationship to truly "get over someone," with the expectation that you haven't had contact with them during that time. More contact means it takes long to get over someone.. been there, done that. :/

Old 09-27-2015, 08:02 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspixstitch View Post
The rule of thumb is that it takes half the duration of the relationship to truly "get over someone," with the expectation that you haven't had contact with them during that time. More contact means it takes long to get over someone.. been there, done that. :/
I don't really buy into that notion. It shouldn't take a year to get over a two year relationship. I was with my ex-husband for 13 years and it didn't take me 6.5 years to get over it. I'm five years out from when we split up and am remarried.

But you do make a great point about prolonged contact making it worse. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies and can end up making choices that hurt ourselves worse than another person could hurt us.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:46 AM

72 posts, read 47,397 times
About as long as it takes to get have good sex with the next person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships