Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 07:38 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,657 times

Advertisements

Also, feel free to mention the ones you try to stay clear of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 07:42 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,598 times
I try to talk about the other person. I find that most people like to talk about themselves. So I will start off by asking about their trip to the date site (did you have trouble finding it, that sort of small talk) and then I elevate it into things I know they enjoy. When I hit on something we both enjoy, then I will talk about my role.

For example, in my current relationship we started talking about science fiction right away, talking about what books we read, favorite movies, etc, etc, after a while the conversation started to flow a little better and one subject naturally lead into another.

If things seem like they are slowing down, ask questions. So if your date mentions a favorite movie ask them why, what they liked about it, etc. When they say they like the genre ask them what got them interested in it, etc. You also need to pepper in stuff about yourself too so it doesn't become an interrogation. You can't overdo either asking too many questions or talking about yourself, it's a fine balance.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:45 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
It's no different than what I would talk about with any new person I meet. But I always try to steer clear of discussions about past relationships. I am totally turned off when my date starts to discuss his divorce. Just no no no.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:53 AM

565 posts, read 433,074 times
Talk about positive things, great experiences, best places you've travelled to, best moments of your life etc etc. Have your date close their eyes, and describe some of those. They will subconsciously associate spending time with you, with those positive experiences.

I never talk about negative things, past relationships, politics, religion or sex (unless the date goes well, which is more often than not). Same reason. Complaining and negativity are probably the worst routes to take.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:23 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,598 times
Yeah, as others have posted, the worst mistake you can make is talking about exs/being negative. Try to keep the conversation upbeat, happy, and light.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,578 times
I try to avoid hot-button topics like politics and religion, though it's hard living in this area without politics coming up. I agree with not discussing previous relationships, that is a definite no. I dated most recently people I met through OKC, so I already knew some things about them. I just asked them about things they wrote on their profile for the most part, and the conversation seemed to flow pretty easily.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:55 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
I talk about me. Duh.

Oh, and my dog. A lot.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:58 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I try to avoid hot-button topics like politics and religion, though it's hard living in this area without politics coming up. I agree with not discussing previous relationships, that is a definite no. I dated most recently people I met through OKC, so I already knew some things about them. I just asked them about things they wrote on their profile for the most part, and the conversation seemed to flow pretty easily.
I usually prefer not to talk about work in that much detail. I don't know how the people I've gone out with feel about discussing their jobs but I've had a few girls ask about my career in more detail than I would have liked and it was a turnoff -- gave the date way too much of a date feeling.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:05 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Anything but..

"What do you want to talk about?"

"I don't care. What do you want to talk about?"

Old 10-15-2015, 09:34 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,657 times
The thing about this is, it can only be done so much. Unless you're talking to someone who is extremely self-absorbed sooner or later they're going to want to know at least something about you.

In particular I remember one time when we were sharing stories about work. She shared two long, thorough descriptions about not only her current job, but her previous one. Then it came my turn and...I botched it! I think I mumbled a few sentences about what a work day looked like for me before switching topics. Actually, I try to wave topics away from my work since it's sort of depressing (I work in the mental health field), but it's tough given how work oriented us Americans are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I try to talk about the other person. I find that most people like to talk about themselves. So I will start off by asking about their trip to the date site (did you have trouble finding it, that sort of small talk) and then I elevate it into things I know they enjoy. When I hit on something we both enjoy, then I will talk about my role.

For example, in my current relationship we started talking about science fiction right away, talking about what books we read, favorite movies, etc, etc, after a while the conversation started to flow a little better and one subject naturally lead into another.

If things seem like they are slowing down, ask questions. So if your date mentions a favorite movie ask them why, what they liked about it, etc. When they say they like the genre ask them what got them interested in it, etc. You also need to pepper in stuff about yourself too so it doesn't become an interrogation. You can't overdo either asking too many questions or talking about yourself, it's a fine balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships