Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 11:33 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
This quite possible. Either way his behavior is rude and if you have any self-respect you'd bail on this guy right away. Run like wind. I am a guy by the way...
I do know that he grew up on the privileged side and I get the sense that he was the golden child of the family. So it could be that his insensitivity is across the board and knows no bounds.

Either way, it is rude and I will not be responding to HIS latest text. And scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 01:20 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
Adults use the phone and have conversation if it's important. Texts are for casual conversation, not really time sensitive, if it were make a call. At least in a call you can hear if he is being straight up or if he's slinging bs
Adults also use their manners if someone is trying to converse with them, whether it's via text, phone, or email.

To me it seems like no one has manners anymore.

People will call you when they are shopping, walking down the street, ordering lunch, etc. Um no. If you want to speak to me, you make time for me. Don't try to talk at me while you are talking to the cashier, or your neighbor, or while your dog is flipping out when you just got home. That smacks of self importance and proves you have no interest in what I have to say.

That is actually why I prefer text in most instances. Despite the magic that some older folks seem to think a phone has, it can be very difficult to hear someone depending on where they are, how they have their phone positioned, etc. The phone isn't the great communication device these so-called adults seem to think it is.

People need to use manners in any form of communication. If you are having a conversation and then leaving, you just text them "gotta go, I'll talk to you later." It's not that hard.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:55 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Right. And my "pattern" WAS that I was taking on a therapist-type role to fixer-upper guys. That is not what is happening here.

Simple way to change your pattern and find out what is going on with him- ask him and then have a conversation about it.

Then you won't be wondering and you will also have more of an insight on whether or not this is the same kind of guy all over again or if it makes sense to continue.

Most people with relationship problems could get over most of those problems with some direct communication and some firm boundary setting.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:20 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
I do know that he grew up on the privileged side and I get the sense that he was the golden child of the family. So it could be that his insensitivity is across the board and knows no bounds.

Either way, it is rude and I will not be responding to HIS latest text. And scene.
Sounds like you want to start a new pattern of dysfunction- one of assumptions and lack of communication.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
I've been out with this guy three times. We have not slept together. A red flag I've noticed (this early in the game) is that he's very inconsistent with his texting. We'll be having a conversation via text, and he'll just disappear, mid-conversation. And he never responds with an "I'm sorry, I got caught up with something". There's just no explanation. Then, a few days later he'll text me like everything is fine, he wants to see me, blah blah blah.

I don't want to read too much into it, but it FEELS shady to me. We're adults, and adults don't just drop out of conversations cold turkey, then reappear days later acting like nothing happened. It's bizarre.

Should I be concerned here?
Well this is what happens when you exchange human interaction for technology.

Sorry, texting should be for quick information. "I'm running late, see you at 9pm"...not to have a conversation. If you actually tried talking on the phone he would say "I have to go now".

You can get to know someone over the phone, you know actually talking.

I guess you don't realize that my removing a layer of actual human contact, rudeness(like you're experiencing) is more the norm nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
How about actually picking up a telephone and using it for voice communications? What a concept!
I know....LOL.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Hmmmmm is there some kind of texting etiquette I'm not aware of? I actually do this same thing. I just don't have time to sit there and text all the time. If I have time I'll have a texting conversation but if I gotta go, I gotta go. I don't want to have to explain myself about where I'm going or what I'm doing all the time!
So you can't just text "gotta go"? You don't owe anyone an explanation as to why but you could show some manners and say you have to end this.

Would you just slam down the phone as well? LOL.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:44 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So you can't just text "gotta go"? You don't owe anyone an explanation as to why but you could show some manners and say you have to end this.

Would you just slam down the phone as well? LOL.

Like in '70s sitcoms. They never say hello (I guess the person on the other end just starts talking?) and then they just hang up the phone.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:15 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,727 times
back in the days of ICQ, late 90's, we used to always say gtg ttyl.

I don't do chat, texting, or any of that hip shhhtt these days. I refuse to.

I would probably disappear midconvo too.

I don't think it's a big deal.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:28 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,990 times
lmao, PJ Singer actually thought what I posted was an actual novel excerpt.

LMAO!!!

Old 10-22-2015, 05:32 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I would probably disappear midconvo too.

I don't think it's a big deal.
It is a big deal. If I'm texting with someone and I have to cut the conversation short for whatever reason, I tell them. I say "I have to go do X" or "Going to bed now" or whatever is going on. I don't just drop off. It's rude, and it communicates to the other person that you don't care what they're saying to you. It's disrespectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships