Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:15 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
And I'm hoping you can see the errors in that line of thinking, too.
I don't entirely agree with this reasoning, but it does have some merit. A risk-averse person would prefer guarantees, even those very same guarantees are self-constraining.

If you think that such reasoning is completely fallacious, please elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 06:47 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
I'm in a younger age group than OP and most people I know are getting married or are in long term relationships. If anything is at all different, it's that people are waiting a little longer to get married.
Yep. People are waiting longer to get married. That's about it. Marriage is in no jeopardy of dying out. A quick look at the wedding industry is all one really needs to see that.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:18 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
That's NOT why many mention making divorces more difficult to obtain. If you go back in this thread, as well as others like it, those who suggest such laws do so with the erroneous notion that, if divorces are so difficult to obtain, people will think twice about getting married in the first place. That's just not so. Most people don't believe that their marriage will end when they first marry; otherwise, why bother.
Hm...I think the idea behind making divorce difficult to obtain is that it would force people to work out problems, instead of taking the "easy way out" and trading in partners like the latest smart phone. I think spiritual concepts and moral values accomplish that far better than laws. Selfishness is the core of the issue, whether a partner wants to leave things as-is because their needs are fulfilled or a partner wants to leave for greener pastures because their needs are not fulfilled, both with little concern for the happiness and needs of the other partner.

Maritial relationships now are not any more about real love than they ever were. They are about the fulfillment of personal desires, which they were not about in the past, true. They were more about being a stable, basic unit of civilization and the immediate survival needs of the group.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmonchristmas View Post
Well I disagree. No marriage is drama free. It is just the couple keep their drama behind closed doors. They are the type to not broadcast their problems.

Yes marriage requires two couples to work but the wife needs to listen to the husband. A wife tends to get out of line once in a while . That is why men have to be head of the house
Aren't you cute!

Old 10-29-2015, 11:14 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Aren't you cute!
It's funny in 2015 some guy would actually say that list out loud and with a straight face... I assume a straight face anyways....

Old 10-29-2015, 11:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
That is why men have to be head of the house

Here ya go! Head it up!

Old 10-31-2015, 08:28 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
Quote:
Well I wouldn't want your daughters because let them find an idiot who they can play like a piano and take advantage of. I bet your daughters don't know how to keep a clean house
Yes, because everyone knows that women who can think for themselves and don't want to be treated like property are naturally messy.

Who hurt you, boo boo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships