Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
UPDATE: It's over.

So...he was successful at giving me my space but there were major red flags in other areas. Let's count them.

1. He wanted to be my boyfriend after a week of knowing each other.
2. He said "I LOVE YOU" (WTF) only after knowing each other for 10 days.
3. He was extremely cheap to the point it was disturbing. Let me explain. So apparently in Germany (and in Europe) it is normal for men and women to split the costs on dates and everything else. Well, he expected that from me here. Never in my life have I had to pay for one date nor has any man asked me to pay for a date. When I told him that it is not normal in America for women to pay, he seemed very uncomfortable with this. Now, understand this everyone. He is an engineer. His company pays for his housing and car. He is not poor. It's not like I'm asking to go out every night but he literally would not want to take me out to dinner or do ANYTHING and find reasons to do things for free...like walk in the park or go to the mall to walk around. Just thinking about this makes me speechless.

Get out of here with this. I pay for early dates, but in almost every relationship I have we take turns or split costs after the initial dates. That's the norm in America when the people involved are equals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:27 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Get out of here with this. I pay for early dates, but in almost every relationship I have we take turns or split costs after the initial dates. That's the norm in America when the people involved are equals.
What's with the "norm" stuff? Because that's what you do, it's the "norm"?

OP, there is no "norm" with this. It's what the parties determine for themselves. For the record, I'm with you that this guy just seems cheap, and I too would be put off by someone who did this. With that being said, I would suggest getting rid of the notion that there's any "norm" with dating. It boils down to the compatibility of the individuals.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:28 AM

635 posts, read 754,930 times
Quote:
Ok....well that's you. But we only went out for less than 2 weeks. Like I said, no guy ever had a problem paying for me. I do not see a problem paying for things later in the relationship but everyone who I have told. this story to has said he is cheap.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

OP, there is no "norm" with this. It's what the parties determine for themselves. For the record, I'm with you that this guy just seems cheap, and I too would be put off by someone who did this. With that being said, I would suggest getting rid of the notion that there's any "norm" with dating. It boils down to the compatibility of the individuals.

Save it. You're attempts to troll me aren't going to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Ok....well that's you. But we only went out for less than 2 weeks. Like I said, no guy ever had a problem paying for me. I do not see a problem paying for things later in the relationship but everyone who I have told. this story to has said he is cheap.

No, that's not just me. That's effectively everyone I've ever known/met across the country.

That said, two weeks is just met territory and that's different. But you've said you've NEVER paid for a date. So have you just never actually had a relationship? Because it would be HIGHLY unusual for two equals who are dating to have one person always treat throughout the course of a relationship.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Don't "save it." I agree.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:44 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Save it. You're attempts to troll me aren't going to work.
Pardon me?

I was simply making a point that there is no "norm", as "norm" implies what someone should be doing, the "right way", if you will.

If you interpret what I said as attempting to "troll you" (whatever that means), I can't help you with that.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Pardon me?

I was simply making a point that there is no "norm", as "norm" implies what someone should be doing, the "right way", if you will.

If you interpret what I said as attempting to "troll you" (whatever that means), I can't help you with that.

Incorrect. The "norm" does not imply anything of the sort. You're incorrect with that word, just as you were incorrect with what "allow" means yesterday.

Definitions are critical for communication.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Incorrect. The "norm" does not imply anything of the sort. You're incorrect with that word, just as you were incorrect with what "allow" means yesterday.

Definitions are critical for communication.
OMG stop arguing on my post! It's just annoying now.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
No, that's not just me. That's effectively everyone I've ever known/met across the country.

That said, two weeks is just met territory and that's different. But you've said you've NEVER paid for a date. So have you just never actually had a relationship? Because it would be HIGHLY unusual for two equals who are dating to have one person always treat throughout the course of a relationship.
Ermmm no. I was married for several years and have been on plenty of dates since the marriage ended.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:59 AM

906 posts, read 712,910 times
Op sounds crazy... Me and op would never work out, I dont like paying for things I can do myself. A woman will be like, buy me a burger and I will show up with two packets of flour, beef, eggs, tomatoes, and a meat grinder..

No, my wife is not my daughter. I will buy anything my daughter wants, but as an adult, you should take care of yourself. I am not your father, I am your husband.

But perhaps this is why Im single. A grown person expecting me to buy them food? Like, seriously, wtf? Are you a child?

Some of these women aren't looking for husbands, they are looking for fathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships