Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:34 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,565,572 times

Advertisements

First off let me state that for the most part I have lived in the South east part of the U.S most of my life. I wasn't born there. I am not trying to state anything negative about the South either. I have family in Tennessee & North Carolina. My mom lives in South Georgia. Now maybe this is a Southern thing but my mom & her relatives do not understand why I would get up to do something for my wife. To them it's waiting on her hand & foot as they like to say. It also might be something to do with
the times they grew up in the man went out & paid the bills & the women stayed home & cooked & cleaned. My mom asked this question to me the other night & said that she doesn't understand it, why I would get her said thing. I told her that to me it was a different time & people don't have traditional roles anymore.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,053,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
First off let me state that for the most part I have lived in the South east part of the U.S most of my life. I wasn't born there. I am not trying to state anything negative about the South either. I have family in Tennessee & North Carolina. My mom lives in South Georgia. Now maybe this is a Southern thing but my mom & her relatives do not understand why I would get up to do something for my wife. To them it's waiting on her hand & foot as they like to say. It also might be something to do with
the times they grew up in the man went out & paid the bills & the women stayed home & cooked & cleaned. My mom asked this question to me the other night & said that she doesn't understand it, why I would get her said thing. I told her that to me it was a different time & people don't have traditional roles anymore.

What say you?
Depends. We need context.

Do you mean ALL THE TIME??? Is your wife just ordering you around from the couch? That doesn't sound very Southern.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:51 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,373,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Do you mean ALL THE TIME??? Is your wife just ordering you around from the couch? That doesn't sound very Southern.
Yes, context. Otherwise, I'm assuming shes treating you like a doormat?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:52 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,565,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Sorry, I mean if she's sick or it's my turn to cook dinner, breakfast. Etc.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:01 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,416,786 times
Cultural, yes. Southern, not necessarily.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:05 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,701,242 times
I guess I'm still missing context.

Do you both work?

Are the responsibilities shared?

What is it your mother sees that she believes is out of place?

Old 10-30-2015, 08:22 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,352,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I guess I'm still missing context.

Do you both work?

Are the responsibilities shared?

What is it your mother sees that she believes is out of place?
This.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:27 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,404,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sorry, I mean if she's sick or it's my turn to cook dinner, breakfast. Etc.
Sounds like they're jealous that their husbands didn't have similar regard for them. I don't know if it's a Southern thing - I think it might just be more of a generational thing, with the South a little bit behind the North in terms of attitudes in a very general sense.

Kind of funny that they're chiding you for being a decent human being. But older generations can be like that when their preconceptions are challenged.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:29 AM

864 posts, read 1,456,929 times
I'm a southern girl and every married couple I know consists of spouses who do things for each other....so I'd have to say no, you wanting to be a considerate husband is not out if the ordinary. It could however be an age thing...older married couples (as in my grandparent's age) seem to function more with the wife doing more for her husband...

Old 10-30-2015, 08:33 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,277,660 times
Not necessarily southern. Lived in Tennessee 2.5 years and there were plenty of sahm, but a lot of the men I met were not opposed to more modern roles. I think more would be baffled by a woman that wasn't a church goer, the Bible Belt south basically means that it's very rare to meet an atheist or Christian that doesn't go to church regularly. But folks in non-traditional marriages? Would not be a problem.

I have to admit I absolutely love southern men, there's nothing like em'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships