Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 05:58 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm looking for a job & as much as my wife wants to work she needs to stay here. My mom I well.. more or less on her way out omeone needs to be here until hospice can come.
My beloved Mom had hospice care when cancer had taken her health. When someone has a disease like cancer they don't always say positive words & thoughts to family, loved ones, & friends. Some words they say can hurt feelings. In their normal mind, they wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of anyone. The loved one might not always be coherent, & ramble on.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3HemKGDavw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:11 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
My beloved Mom had hospice care when cancer had taken her health. When someone has a disease like cancer they don't always say positive words & thoughts to family, loved ones, & friends. Some words they say can hurt feelings. In their normal mind, they wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of anyone. The loved one might not always be coherent, & ramble on.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3HemKGDavw
Yes. My grandpa was out of his mind with pain, medications, and said some of the most awful things to my mom when she was doing everything she could to care for him. They had always had a great relationship. You know it's not really "them," but it is still very painful.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:24 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Sounds like they're jealous that their husbands didn't have similar regard for them. I don't know if it's a Southern thing - I think it might just be more of a generational thing, with the South a little bit behind the North in terms of attitudes in a very general sense.

Kind of funny that they're chiding you for being a decent human being. But older generations can be like that when their preconceptions are challenged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
I'm a southern girl and every married couple I know consists of spouses who do things for each other....so I'd have to say no, you wanting to be a considerate husband is not out if the ordinary. It could however be an age thing...older married couples (as in my grandparent's age) seem to function more with the wife doing more for her husband...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Nope not a Southern thing. My dad has always helped my mom and done things for her because he loves her. My goodness just do whatever you want. Your mom's opinion is really not what you should listen to. If it works for you and your wife, that is all that matters. As far as my marriage, we try to do things together. Then, it doesn't seem like a chore, and everything, even cleaning, is more fun.
Sometimes I read opinions here and I have to double back and make sure I read it correctly. Has it really come to this? A spouse/mate can't do something nice for the other? You can't both do nice things for each other? What's the point, then? Ridiculous.

I'm sorry you're in such a stressful, painful situation, reed. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships