Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times

Advertisements

Just curious...for men who have ever been divorced when did you realize that you had married the wrong woman? And why did you think she was "The One" when you got married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
I guess this could be a question for women too, and I think I can speak for my ex too. There was never a sense that we married the "wrong" people. Our marriage wasn't a failure, it was 20 years long and mostly happy, with great kids and major accomplishments and personal growth and fun times.

But here's the thing. People change between age 20 and 40. And when people hit middle age, priorities and needs often shift dramatically. People who were compatible become incompatible.

If you are lucky you grow in the same direction; if you are unlucky, you do not.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:48 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I guess this could be a question for women too, and I think I can speak for my ex too. There was never a sense that we married the "wrong" people. Our marriage wasn't a failure, it was 20 years long and mostly happy, with great kids and major accomplishments and personal growth and fun times.

But here's the thing. People change between age 20 and 40. And when people hit middle age, priorities and needs often shift dramatically. People who were compatible become incompatible.

If you are lucky you grow in the same direction; if you are unlucky, you do not.
It's what worries me most about marriage. I may end up meeting the right person after making sure of it, but who knows if she'll be the right person 20 or so years from now.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:52 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
It's what worries me most about marriage. I may end up meeting the right person after making sure of it, but who knows if she'll be the right person 20 or so years from now.
Well...you don't. But IMO it is better to take a chance of having many years of happiness that you can build on and grow in, becoming a better person--rather than being lonely, fearful and stagnant and wondering who you could have been as a spouse, parent, grandparent...

Old 11-09-2015, 08:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:

Its true that people do often grow apart as they age. But what about those who know 6 months, 1 or 2 years in that they married the wrong person.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Which is precisely why the most prudent decision is to not marry.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:53 AM

304 posts, read 238,809 times
We were at about year 14. Mostly good times, but an 18 month long spell of bad times.

She came home from work one day and saw the dog; her face absolutely lit up with joy and happiness. Then she turned to look at me and her whole demeanor changed.

About a week later she wouldn't reciprocate "I love you."

And that was that.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Its true that people do often grow apart as they age. But what about those who know 6 months, 1 or 2 years in that they married the wrong person.
Suck it up!!

Honeymoon stage should still be in the air.

I would say to work at it. They can't be THAT wrong if you married them.

Imagine setting sail for a six months journey at sea with your new bride.

You have barely left the harbor and already she ticked you off for eating something out of the cooler already. Seriously? The marriage hasn't even hit any severe storms yet!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:

This is a good post I agree with.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:56 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Suck it up!!

Honeymoon stage should still be in the air.

I would say to work at it. They can't be THAT wrong if you married them.

Imagine setting sail for a six months journey at sea with your new bride.

You have barely left the harbor and already she ticked you off for eating something out of the cooler already. Seriously? The marriage hasn't even hit any severe storms yet!
Yes, they can be. It's different for each scenario. My ex revealed his true self less than 6 months after we got married. I went to bed in tears with my heart knowing that I didn't love him anymore after what happened. Instead of leaving him, I tried rebuilding that love again for the next 12 years, but in the end, I wasted my prime 12 years. Very cliche, but really listen to your heart and that inner voice. The heart really does know what it wants, but I kept diverting it. Now I know--once someone hurts me like that and I stop loving someone, it can never be rebuilt again. Never.

I finally divorced him when I couldn't stand to be in the same room as him, sex started to feel like rape, he treated our son like he wasn't his son at all, and I just grew so much hatred for him that it was making me very bitter. I just had to get out before I collapsed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships