Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:24 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Not in the sense you are thinking...

It's just pure facts in terms of social engagement. People don't realize that while we applaud the progress women have made in terms of equality, education, and independence, men have been following tradition since the dawn of day. Men haven't had to try to win over their independence, fight inequality, or rights to be the bread winners. Men have always been called upon to be the providers of their women and children. Now, the tables have turned in a sense.

In today's climate- women are totally ok with mult-dating (traditionally a man's game). Women now have foregone their early courtship in pursuit of their careers. But having reached their 30s, many are starting to feel the grind and want to settle down. However, men have retained their traditional thoughts of courtship presented by their parents and society. These career women on the other hand haven't had any experience dealing with men and now lack the ability identify various social cues.
What?

Quote:
They don't know what a man really wants- as oppose to a man that is going off traditional ways. Women are now totally ok with multi-dating and will straight up tell you in your face like "blah, I am multi-dating 5 dudes my G"... But, they are surprised to find that the man doesn't agree with his potential woman seeing other men.
Dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:27 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
I don't know ANYONE who thinks SO hard into this kind of stuff.

ANYONE.

Why do you?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:42 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I for one would like to see the data supporting 75% of DC residents being single.

I know a ton of people in DC, where I work. Almost every "career woman" (and man) I know is married, many with families.

Where do these fantasies originate from?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:36 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
What is the point of this thread? You don't seem to have a question. You seem to just want to spew out your opinion and dismiss any opposing opinions out of hand. There's a blog feature for that.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:

It's just pure facts in terms of social engagement. People don't realize that while we applaud the progress women have made in terms of equality, education, and independence, men have been following tradition since the dawn of day. Men haven't had to try to win over their independence, fight inequality, or rights to be the bread winners. Men have always been called upon to be the providers of their women and children. Now, the tables have turned in a sense.

In today's climate- women are totally ok with mult-dating (traditionally a man's game). Women now have foregone their early courtship in pursuit of their careers. But having reached their 30s, many are starting to feel the grind and want to settle down. However, men have retained their traditional thoughts of courtship presented by their parents and society. These career women on the other hand haven't had any experience dealing with men and now lack the ability identify various social cues. They don't know what a man really wants- as oppose to a man that is going off traditional ways. Women are now totally ok with multi-dating and will straight up tell you in your face like "blah, I am multi-dating 5 dudes my G"... But, they are surprised to find that the man doesn't agree with his potential woman seeing other men.
Dating several people at once used to be the norm. Boys and girls in high school and college would go out with different people until one really caught their attention, at which time they would "go steady." A girl would wear the boy's jacket, class ring, or class pin to show she was taken. This was very, very common back in the 50s, that golden era that so many young men today yearn for, as well as the 60s. Watch Happy Days. Watch Laverne and Shirley. Watch the Brady Bunch. Watch any older show about a family with kids in high school or young single people. People are either causally dating or they are engaged. There is always somebody new on Friday night, some new boy asking someone to the dance. It is only in recent times, like GenX onward, that young people started instantly pinning themselves to one another. My 11-year-old refers to the girl who used to play with him at recess as his "ex," for Pete's sake. Heck, in the opening scene of Gone With the Wind, Scarlett O'Hara is sitting on the porch, surrounded by young men vying for her attention.

My husband was one of three guys I casually dated at once. My mother dated different guys in high school. It was very, very normal to do this. The whole reason for getting "engaged" (think about the word, meaning "in use" or "taken") is to take oneself out of the dating world and plan for marriage. Same thing with "betrothed," meaning "promised to." Today's expectations of immediate exclusivity are jumping the gun.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:30 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
As a career woman, who married in her mid-thirties, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I dated a lot when I was working, and men still wanted to get married in their 20s/30s.

I swear, I don't know where you guys get this stuff. I find it odd, I would never post telling men stuff like this, that would be weird. I'm not a guy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-12-2015, 10:21 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Men havent had to fight for "equality" your right, instead we are too busy fighting for our jobs and to provide for families as we keep getting laid off for outsourcing or trying to be able to afford anything with stagnant wages, especially for those coming out of college

Old 11-12-2015, 11:12 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I can't personally say what things are like in DC, but I have a friend that lives there that does amazingly well with career-oriented women.

He's tall, good-looking, and has his PhD. He also has a 6 figure job. He's currently engaged and is also sleeping with multiple women on the side. He does very well with those women (however, I will note that the women he dates and sleeps with are never good-looking....he's not known for his standards lol).
This is your definition of doing well? Having a fiance and cheating on her?

Old 11-12-2015, 11:20 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

In today's climate- women are totally ok with mult-dating (traditionally a man's game). Women now have foregone their early courtship in pursuit of their careers. But having reached their 30s, many are starting to feel the grind and want to settle down. However, men have retained their traditional thoughts of courtship presented by their parents and society. These career women on the other hand haven't had any experience dealing with men and now lack the ability identify various social cues. They don't know what a man really wants- as oppose to a man that is going off traditional ways. Women are now totally ok with multi-dating and will straight up tell you in your face like "blah, I am multi-dating 5 dudes my G"... But, they are surprised to find that the man doesn't agree with his potential woman seeing other men.
Is this a rant disguised as sociological analysis?

OP, there are lots of women who don't multi-date. There are women who don't date at all, because so many men (like you, apparently) flock around the ones all the other guys are flocking around. You have choices. Exercise them.

/thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As a career woman, who married in her mid-thirties, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I dated a lot when I was working, and men still wanted to get married in their 20s/30s.

I swear, I don't know where you guys get this stuff. I find it odd, I would never post telling men stuff like this, that would be weird. I'm not a guy.
It's simple. Translation of his OP: He's been trying to date hotties, and is miffed that they're not exclusive with him, so he's whining on C-D.

NEXT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships