Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 9,616 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm pregnant by a man that is a resident of Mexico & Europe and he's in the U.S. on a working Visa.
He has threatened to leave the country if I don't marry him.
What can I do to protect the rights of my baby, as well as make sure that he keeps his financial obligations as a father. (i'm afraid that if he leaves the country my child support case will default.)

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 03:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Why would you decide to have a baby out of wedlock? If you're worried about "child support" already maybe you should just abort. It would be better for you in the long run.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:12 PM

320 posts, read 954,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danitza View Post
Hi. I'm pregnant by a man that is a resident of Mexico & Europe and he's in the U.S. on a working Visa.
What can I do to protect the rights of my baby, as well as make sure that he keeps his financial obligations as a father. (i'm afraid that if he leaves the country my child support case will default.)

Thank you.

DON'T ABORT! HOW CAN ANYONE EVEN THINK OF THAT? WOW.....i know you are way better then that

Old 02-01-2008, 04:43 PM

384 posts, read 1,709,451 times
I don't believe that suggesting that she aborts the child is an appropriate response, I am sure if she wanted to do that, she would have done so without having to worry about this man fullfilling his financial obligations. Regardless, I suggest you get as much information from this man and keep a record of it. Believe it or not, most countries have an agreement with the United States Child Support Enforcement Agency and will dock child support payments from dead beat dads or moms even if they do not reside in the United States. Give your local agency a call and see what your choices are. I believe he is just trying to force you to marry him so he can get his green card. In the mean time, you really should have been more careful than that and protect yourself. Never fully put your trust in a man when it comes to effective birth control. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:02 PM

820 posts, read 2,867,895 times
I think the previous advice to collect and store as much personal information about the father of your child as you can is smart. I would also suggest you speak with a lawyer. Under no circumstance should you allow this person to bully you into marrying! What's his deal!?!?!?! Did he intend all along to become a US citizen by this manipulative method? Get some good legal advice.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:27 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danit's View Post
What can I do to protect the rights of my baby, as well as make sure that he keeps his financial obligations as a father. (I'm afraid that if he leaves the country my child support case will default.)

Thank you.
Duel citizenship happens but, is rare.
If he is already trying to control you (you do this or I'll do that), tell him bye bye now! You might as well face the facts, you are in this alone. I would not put his name on the birth certificate. He will not likely support the child anyway. Make him take you thur the process, then all he will do is prove he owes you in court. I do not think he will, it will be long and expensive.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
I think the previous advice to collect and store as much personal information about the father of your child as you can is smart. I would also suggest you speak with a lawyer. Under no circumstance should you allow this person to bully you into marrying! What's his deal!?!?!?! Did he intend all along to become a US citizen by this manipulative method? Get some good legal advice.
You are confusing citizenship with legal resident alien.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:43 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Oh my, I honestly can't believe some of the responses here. Did she ask for your personal judgments about her situation? No? Then keep your morality to yourselves.

To the OP:

As far as your baby goes, if you're a citizen of the US, so will your child be. I know that with, some countries, there's the opportunity for the child of citizens of 2 separate countries to get dual-citizenship, but you'd have to do more research on that, or speak to someone who has true knowledge about it, regarding how it can be obtained.

But, as far as his claims on your child, he'd have to go through the courts here to establish anything. Even paternity. But, even if that's not an issue (in some states, placing his name on the birth certificate is considered pretty good evidence that he's the father), for him to be able to take your child away from you (and back to whatever country he's from) is pretty much something that you need not worry about. Again, I would suggest that you speak to a family lawyer in your state about the specifics on this.

As far as him being financially responsible. Yes, you can get a court here to issue a judgment as far as his "responsibility" is concerned, but whether that can be (or will be) acknowledged in another country is something that a lawyer familiar with these things can better answer for you. If he "defaults" in the case, you'll get your judgment...it will just be the issue of whether you'll be able to collect or not.

I wish you the best. Don't let him blackmail you.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:50 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
He'll leave the country if you don't marry him because he cannot apply for citizenship prior to marrying a U.S. citizen. Even then, he will need to file for "adjustment of citizenship" to become a permanent citizen. Rather than the woman getting pregnant to keep a man, sounds like you are living in the opposite. Did he intentionally get you pregnant so you would marry him and he could apply for U.S. citizenship? He now needs a K-1 fiance visa, and you need to file a Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiance) with USCIS. Then the National Visa Center will get involved, and he will be interviewed for a fiance visa. Either way, let the child live. He did nothing wrong.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:37 PM

This post leaves more questions than answers. What was his intent? We will never know that one. Was his VISA at risk? My guess. How long had you known him? The fact you choose to post this tell me you are seeing red flags. Listen to that small inter voice, it will never lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships