Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:03 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times

Advertisements

if it's a character attack? Say your SO tells you that you are rude to people, not nice to people etc. etc. and nobody has ever told you that before, quite the contrary... people seem to like you, how would you confront him/her? Do you think such a thing is even valid in a relationship - given that someone who has a poor opinion of their partner in these regards should be breaking up with them correct?

But what if they blow hot and cold? One time calling you a jerk, the next moment saying you are the best thing ever? Is this sort of behavior normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:08 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Last guy I dated pointed my flaws out and I pointed his out which were way worst which was hypocritical of him.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:14 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
If someone would accuse me to be rude, I would ask to elaborate. Who knows, maybe indeed I was little edgy...
However, people who blow hot and cold, are not the best relationship material. They seems to be a bit mentally unstable.
I would not deal with that kind of behavior.

There’s no point in being with someone who blows hot and cold because it’s not a mutual relationship, it’s all on their terms, and you can never really know where you stand because they persist in undermining you and the relationship.This is unhealthy and demeaning. If you don’t register the inconsistency and you hang around, the blowing hot and cold will disrupt and confuse you, and actually, you’ll become desensitized to getting crumbs, and may think you’re getting a loaf when you’re actually on a crumb diet.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Mr. CSD lets me know when I have been out of line and I do the same. It isn't criticism, it is telling each other what we saw or heard that was not appropriate.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:18 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,488 times
I think when in a relationship your aim should be to build each other up and not pull each other down. I wouldn't mind being corrected if I was wrong but it would all come down to how the message was delivered.

If you find yourselves one-upping each other, then your relationship is either doomed or you'll both be very unhappy.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:20 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,910,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
if it's a character attack? Say your SO tells you that you are rude to people, not nice to people etc. etc. and nobody has ever told you that before, quite the contrary... people seem to like you, how would you confront him/her? Do you think such a thing is even valid in a relationship - given that someone who has a poor opinion of their partner in these regards should be breaking up with them correct?

But what if they blow hot and cold? One time calling you a jerk, the next moment saying you are the best thing ever? Is this sort of behavior normal?
Pointing out a mistake in a healthy, non-confrontational manner is part of a healthy relationship. So is determining whether or not that mistake is true or not, again doing so in a non-confrontational manner. When done correctly, they can make people feel closer afterward.

It's a good thing to be able to have open lines of communication to talk about things that bother each other.

However, hot and cold, jerk to best thing ever... not normal.. not healthy.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:21 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Just because you haven't heard it before doesn't mean it's untrue. Sometimes someone close to you is apt to be more honest.

However, if they'really just being plain mean, that's a different issue. Why would you want to be with someone like that?

Old 11-17-2015, 06:26 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Is this the same woman that you started the other threads about? The woman that wants you to limit your drinking when you want to keep drinking?

Old 11-17-2015, 06:33 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
pointing out the flaws of your partner when you yourself are loaded with flaws is laughable... saying someone is rude when the example cited is ridiculously flimsy, well...if you feel the need to keep badgering your partner about how bad they are then why are you even with them? And being rude/not nice to people is a character trait, definitely don't want to be with someone like that... I don't understand why someone would stick around with a partner they thought was mean/rude/not nice whatever, unless of course it isn't true and they just use this tactic to play games and psychologically control the other person.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:38 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,044,192 times
My coworker does things like this, but when asked to give specific examples of incidents where the person in question behaved a certain way, he can't give examples.

So, ask for examples if someone is pointing out a certain behaviour to you. "I hear what you're saying and I genuinely didn't intend to come across rude, so can you give me an example of a time when I may have acted rudely toward _____"

If it's just something they're blowing hot air about, they won't have an example or (as you said) will have a stupid example, then tell them "Ok, well, I appreciate what you're saying and I definitely want to change this behaviour if it's something I'm doing often/semi-often/occasionally. Could you help me to change this behaviour by pointing it out to me right away the next time I do it?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships