Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 02:14 PM

583 posts, read 712,429 times

Advertisements

Do they both mean the same thing? If not, which one is worse in a relationship? If you've ever had problems with either or, how did you stop it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 02:17 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,629,348 times
It's probably just a gradient issue.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:18 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Do they both mean the same thing? If not, which one is worse in a relationship? If you've ever had problems with either or, how did you stop it?
No.
They are both less than ideal.
End the relationship.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:38 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times
are you the clingon or is he?

Clingy and codependent are different IMO.

I am not clingy (too lazy) but have codependent issues I've worked through.

Which is worse? I think codependency -because you are putting your partner above yourself pretty much always, even when it is bad for you.

Clingy is more annoying if anything IMO.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:38 PM

888 posts, read 555,161 times
If someone is overly clingy in a relationship, it's hard to stop it, and it would mean to me not compatible and I would end it. You can't go into a relationship thinking you will change the person, and that is a huge turn off for me.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:39 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Dependency=clingy

Co-dependency=dependent on having another person be dependent on you.

We used to refer to people who were care-takers and enablers of addicts as co-dependents, but it was later broadened to cover all people who have to have someone dependent on them. Generally the co-dependent person can appear on the surface to be the "healthy" one, but he/she can be just as screwed up (or more) as the person who looks needy and dependent.

I was in my first long term relationship in college and finally realized I was becoming co-dependent. He was a raging alcoholic/ pot head who was brilliant but failing out of college, and I one day found myself going to one of his professors to get him an extension on a paper, telling the professor a lie about him having a death in the family. suddenly it was like I was watching myself on TV--I think I dissociated a little. But when I looked at myself, it disgusted me, what I had just done. I hardly ever lie, and certainly not to a professor. And here I was telling this story to this man who actually felt sorry for my drunken stoned boyfriend who was at that very moment playing Nintendo and smoking a bong with his buddies. I broke up with him shortly after that as more and more things came into focus, and I saw how he had manipulated me. He was starting to make me feel so important, how I was his "angel" who was saving his life. Ugh, makes me sick now to even think about it.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Co-dependent is totally different and much more complicated. Plus it affects BOTH partners, hence the "co-" in the name.

You can google this and figure out why it's not preferable.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:41 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
It always depends.

I had clingy bfs and got rid of them quickly. There is nothing else you can do, they won't change if you tell them to be less clingy. We are what we are.

I used to be the clingy one emotional unavailable bfs and they were okay with it.

Now I have a bf who is clingy and I am clingy and neither of us is annoyed by it.

Codependency is something else.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:44 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,416 times
Clingy = ONE person acting inadequate.

Co-dependent = TWO people, each intermeshed in depending upon each other, emotionally inadequate in and of themselves.

A perfectly healthy, independent, self-contained people can attract a clingy person, but probably won't tolerate him or her for very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships