Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:07 AM

5 posts, read 13,407 times

Advertisements

I am 21 years old. My best friend moved away the summer after 8th grade and we have stayed in touch all of this time. We talk online or on the phone every single night. Lately though, she has been really clingy. She gets mad if I can't be online or talk to her that night, or if I hang out with any other friends. I mentioned going to a concert for a few hours and she started guilting me and telling me that she is really upset and really needs me right now, but when I ask what is wrong, she won't say. I don't know what to do? I know she had her rough patches, was raped in high school and suffers depression, and I try to be there for her as much as humanly possible. I answer my phone at 4 in the morning, sometimes miss class just to be there if she needs to talk. I don't want to lose her as a friend, she means too much to me, but I don't know what to do. Her being so clingy and jealous is starting to push me away and i don't want it to come to that. Please help!

There is more to it...so if more information is needed to answer the question just let me know and I will type it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 01:40 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Go see her? Or invite her to visit you. Or tell her to lighten up a bit.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
As bad as it might be for your friend, but you have a live too. And calling at 4 a.m. shouldn't be a usual thing for her. She must stand on her own feet. It's important to have friends and to know that they are there for you when you need them but you shouldn't use all their time b/c that can kill a friendship.

Maybe it would be best to see her and try to talk to her about how YOU feel.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:04 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Wow...you two have talked on the phone every single night, for 6 or 7 years? Thats what you call a special friendship.
You both are getting older now, so naturally there is more going on in your life, than before.
Thats tough what happened to her, and its great that you have been there for her to talk to, etc. but....if she is still having major problems, then she doesn`t need to call you at 4 AM, she needs to talk to a counselor. It sounds like she needs to deal with her problems, so she can move on with her life as well.
We can`t waller in our pity, or expect others to feel sorry for us forever.
There comes a time in life, that we need to help ourselves.

I would just tell her how you feel. She cannot possibly expect you to not have a life outside of your house, at age 21.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:31 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
I agree with Rance, go visit her or fly her over for a weekend. Then take the time to talk about it with her.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
I'd have a talk with her.....make her feel like you really do value her friendship and she really is very important to you but you do have to allow yourself to focus on your life also......If it were me I'd gently tell her that you would love to be there for her whenever you possibly can but that can't be 24/7 as you do have to maintain your own life as well.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:08 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezinsane View Post
She gets mad if I can't be online or talk to her that night, or if I hang out with any other friends. I mentioned going to a concert for a few hours and she started guilting me and telling me that she is really upset and really needs me right now, but when I ask what is wrong, she won't say. I don't know what to do? I know she had her rough patches, was raped in high school and suffers depression, and I try to be there for her as much as humanly possible. I answer my phone at 4 in the morning, sometimes miss class just to be there if she needs to talk. Please help!
I agree, you should go visit her and talk this out. You have the right to:

- have other friends
- go to concerts
- sleep through the night
- go to class

She is taking advantage of your friendship and good heart. You need to set some boundaries. No one should be calling you at 4 a.m. unless it's truly an emergency - fire, flood, hurricane, car accident, etc. She's using you and trying to make you feel guilty about living your life. This just isn't right. I'm sorry she has had a rough life, but she needs to get a grip. Talk to her and set some boundaries before it escalates. Best wishes.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 AM

355 posts, read 1,376,759 times
I had a friend like that. I went over to he apartment literally every night to console her for months. She was depressed, her boyfriend was in jail as usual, yada yada. she lived 45 minutes from me. Well i worked all day and drove myself home because we didnt have any plans. She calls, tells me she needs to talk, and honestly i didnt feel like driving that far. I worked closer to her home than mine. she blew up, told me i was a horrible friend, and basically acted like i was never there for her. Needless to say that pissed me off because I was always over there. people couldnt see me in public without her without saying "hey, wheres your other half?" I love her as a friend but there are some people that you can never be there enough for.

Tell her you understand that shes going through a rough patch. Maybe tell her about your plans to go to concerts, etc. ahead of time so that she can't act surprised like you're deserting her. If you just tell her a couple days earlier maybe she won't feel so "abandoned"

Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
You know, I used to have a friend like that. Her clinginess got to be SO bad that I lost other friends over her. I finally had to end the relationship between the two of us. She wanted me as her friend and not to have any other friends. From personal experience, this is a red flag for me. Ever since that experience, I stopped being friendly with those types of personalities. Oddly enough, I use to seem to attract those types but that was years ago. I wish you the best, I know how you feel.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
i wish i had a friend like you...nobody has ever been there for me at 4 in the morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships