Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 09:57 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times

Advertisements

My dealbreaker is ultimately showing of affection and being intimate emotionally and physically. If there is no display of the simple things like touching, kissing, sexual activity in addition to emotional intimacy than there is nothing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 10:42 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
However; they have taught me many wonderful life lessons, and despite their struggles in their personal relationship, I couldn't ask for much better in terms of the ways my parents have worked with me. Overall, I feel blessed to call them my parents.
Struggles in their relationship? What do you mean by this? This may have something to do with your current situation.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:05 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Having never lived/dated in the same city and then trying to combine households in a marriage is going to be a VERY rough road.

I wish you luck, OP, but I hope you remember that you don't have to settle for pretty good just to have someone.

The only thing I do know is that y'all are NOT ready to be married.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:29 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Oh, good grief. If that chicken-voiced, rheumy-eyed, generalization-spewing, ignorant pencil-neck is supposed to be masculine, I'm hanging it up and joining a convent.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:32 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
WMSN: We have always been long distance.
Sorry, Cavs, but my advice is to reconsider marrying this woman. You haven't been through the daily grind together in any real way yet, and getting through the daily grind together is a huge part of marriage.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Oh, good grief. If that chicken-voiced, rheumy-eyed, generalization-spewing, ignorant pencil-neck is supposed to be masculine, I'm hanging it up and joining a convent.
Did you catch that part, at :48, where he says, "...ever since I got into pick-up..."?

Nope.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:08 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I hate to say, but I'm getting in a relationship with anyone that still has student loan debt. I'm not a spring chicken anymore.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:32 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I would say, major things would be the way in which the relational dynamic functions. My dad is truly one of the most compassionate and generous people I have ever met. However, he can be very domineering, not in an abusive way, but in a way where he takes charge of most decisions and things that happen, pretty much always. I admittedly think that while I've been taught many wonderful things and personality characteristics (or so I'd like to think), I'd also say that is part of the reason why I'm a little bit more passive (though I'd say a large part of it also has had to do with always sort of having a beta personality within school and other environments with peers). My fiance even commented about it this weekend when we were laying on the couch and my arm was starting to fall asleep because she had been resting, and when I said that, I still wasn't assertive enough to tell her that I needed to move her. She commented on that, and said it was kind of a small image of what I can be like, and that I have even just recently (in the past few months) started to become more of an assertive personality.

JJ: That's a good point. I'm certainly worried.

WMSN: You are right on both accounts.

The one thing that is starting to push me more and more in the other direction, has been my attitude about the marriage over the recent period of time. I would say that I was way more excited about the relationship in the first 8 months, than I have been at any point since then. Now I know some part of that is the natural intimacy and excitement which occurs when starting a new relationship (especially a first one), but I can even say that for a good portion of our engagement, I have ultimately looked forward to the point when I would be married. I honestly can't really say that right now. I can certainly say that I have strong doubts about not doing so, because of her many wonderful qualities, how close we are, and how much I care about her. But, I can also say that I have more trepidation about the wedding than anticipation.

I also have thought recently about whether I really want to be married, have kids, etc., and honestly, I really don't know. I think that everyone in society seems to have it in their mind that it's just "the way you go" or "a thing you do", and it's almost like it's an expectation for everyone, and those who do not do so are shamed. But quite frankly, I think we need more people to be single by choice. I think marriage isn't for everyone, and while it may be for me, I know that if I right now was single, I wouldn't be trying to get married/have kids. Now, perhaps if I were to do something like this, I would regret it forever. But, I think that could really be said either way..

Old 11-29-2015, 08:43 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I have relatives who are not married in their 60s, absolutely the right decision for them. They do/did have significant others, but not married because they don't want children or don't care for children. You still have lots of time. I wouldn't worry at your age. I have one kid who is 25, older than you, and is not in a hurry at all.
But those in my family who got married, stay married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships