Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:43 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times

Advertisements

Sounds like your wife has given up a lot for your relationship. Moving away from her friends & family couldn't have been easy especially given how far away you are. You have 2-3 years to plan this move. I think it is your turn to compromise especially if there are safety issues with your current location!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 11:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Give and take.

She has sacrificed for the relationship...have you?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 6,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
She's been robbed at gunpoint TWICE. How does any "upside" that life has there trump that?

But you can do it. It's not impossible- didn't you say that in a prior post?

I have a suggestion. Just let her read this thread. Chances are the "decision" would be taken right out of your hands.
You're right, it IS possible. What I worry about- What if one day we want/have to go back? I wouldn't get a job, or if my current comoany takes me back i would start from the most junior position again. She on the other hand works selfemployed, so she can live anywhere.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:50 AM

7 posts, read 6,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Give and take.

She has sacrificed for the relationship...have you?

If we leave, i wouldn't just sacrifice a couple of years, I would sacrifice my whole career in the company.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:50 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,766 times
Love your wife? If so, get out of your comfort zone and have a good life.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf1 View Post
If we leave, i wouldn't just sacrifice a couple of years, I would sacrifice my whole career in the company.
So ask yourself this question

"Who do I love more?"

Your answer will decide your actions

Old 11-25-2015, 11:55 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
You're right, it IS possible. What I worry about- What if one day we want/have to go back? I wouldn't get a job, or if my current comoany takes me back i would start from the most junior position again. She on the other hand works selfemployed, so she can live anywhere.
Sure, she can conduct her business from anywhere. That doesn't mean that she should have to live in a place that's not safe, does it?

Yup, you can live thinking about "what ifs". "What if" the next time she gets robbed, she gets hurt or killed?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
If you don't ever wanna move, your wife isn't sacrificing a couple of years, she's sacrificing her whole life.

Essentially, you are saying that your future with your company is priority over your future with your spouse.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:01 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Hello,

I need your advice. My wife (28) and I (32) have been married for a few months, been together for almost four years. We started out as long distance, and she moved to my country when she finished her degree in the country she studied in. I appreciate that she did this for me and I know it must be hard for her to have her family and friends so far away. It hasn't been easy all the time, but we're going strong. She's from Europe and she moved to my Latin American country, which of course was a huge change, not just security wise. She hs been living here with me over three years now, and more recently she has been asking if we can move somewhere else. She says she isn't very happy here, that it is really hard to find friends, and that the security issue is huge (she got robbed at gunpoint twice), she doesn't feel free. I understand her, but the job I'm working in makes it really hard for me to just quit and move somewhere else. It would be pretty hard to get a mew job in the same field. My wife says we don't have to move now, but that she hopes this could be the plan for in 2-3 years at least. She says it doesn't have to be her country, but any country in Europe. I just don't know what to do. I understand her concerns, but as much as I'd love to live in Europe I don't know if I can.

What would you guys do? Thanks.

Oh heck to the no.

There isn't any question of what to do.

Your wife is much more understanding than I. She is giving you 2 - 3 years after being robbed at gunpoint twice! I would want to move immediately.

You sound selfish. You are only concerned with yourself.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:03 PM

Choosing to live in an unsafe, unstable place for the career opportunities is the move of a single person...not the one of a person with a family to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships