Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:12 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,748,274 times

Advertisements

I've never felt a strong 'desire' in life to have kids. I always felt like it would be 'ok' if I had them but I've never felt that 'draw' to become a mother. And I don't necessarily connect with children when around them.

Recently I started conversing with a man over the past few weeks but we haven't met yet. We've both been very very busy and I've got a good bit of travel going on right now, but we plan to meet soon. The conversation about children just came up and I told him I didn't think I wanted kids. We talked about this in depth and I began to wonder to myself if I'm making a mistake by not having them.

I'm soon to be 37 and feel like if I wanted children I would have had them by now. One strange side note is that the last man I fell in love with a few years ago...I would have had a child by him. I wonder if deep down I do want them but I'm just afraid? Afraid of not knowing how to be a good mother. Afraid of being ''tied down" once having them. Afraid since once you have kids, they become #1 and I have dreams/aspirations I think will all 'go to the back burner' so to speak after having children...and eventually disappear. Afraid of the risks of having a less healthy child because of my age by the time I had one if I chose to do so. Afraid since the divorce rate is so high that I will eventually end up a single mother as I was raised by a single mother.

I actually have considered not talking to this man anymore because I am thinking to myself....what's the point? We don't see eye to eye on a deal breaker issue...why continue talking and why meet?

Anyways, sorry for the rambling. It's strange I don't seem to even know if I really want children or not....at this age I should know. Or at least decide so I'm not confusing or misleading anyone I date at this point. So anyways...I'm curious to know if anyone here ever changed their mind about not having children to having them? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 10:24 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,025 times
I was never baby minded,but my gosh do I now love babies,nothing could be as sweet as having a little son.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
No.....I never have and now I'm in my 50's and I'm fine with it. Don't have kids 'just in case' - think of everyone you're hurting if you are wrong! It's like getting married out of desperation because all your friends are, but a million times worse.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:57 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
I'm 26 and don't ever want to be a dad and that won't ever change.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:37 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,345,635 times
I'm too old to be a dad again!

Old 11-30-2015, 11:45 PM

906 posts, read 712,810 times
oh, i've always said i wanted 12 children...after watching cheaper by the dozen as a kid. i was like, i'm having 12 children for sure.

as it stands, i'm 26 and at 0. i need to get to work.

i will compromise in that she'll have 6, and then we can adopt the other 6. it's actually a deal breaker..if she won't have 6 children by me. i mean, i've already compromised..i wanted 12! no, i haven't changed my mind about that..

Old 11-30-2015, 11:52 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
I knew at the age of 17 or 18 that I never wanted to have children. I have been very thankful each and every year since then, that I am child free.

I enjoy my free from attachment life.

I have no regrets at all.

I have a super duper wonderful nephew and that is good enough for me.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:28 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,327 times
I always wanted to have 2 kids coz I have an older sibling. I've since changed this to 1 child coz I get the parenting experience without stressing over finances.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:51 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,868 times
No. And I was of fertile age back when societal pressure to reproduce was almost overwhelming.

I always "knew" I never wanted children, the same way people "know" they are right or left handed.

Now, long past menopause, I am infinitely grateful that I stood my ground and did not succumb to the pressures.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:13 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm curious to know if anyone here ever changed their mind about not having children to having them? If so, why?
When I was younger I was set on not having children, was paranoid about accidentally getting pregnant. One of the reasons may have been that I was not comfortable with my body, yet I also really did not have any desire to have them and raise them either. A few years ago I was given the gift of being comfortable with my body and now I would love to have a family, yet I still do not think that I will. I still have my student loans to pay off (which should be just about done in not two years, if things proceed in the same fashion; I'm 35), but my fiancé's financial situation is not good and if we had children, I will have to work full-time and I do not want to do that. I want to stay at home and raise my children if I have any.

So, it looks like I won't be having any children, of course unless an accident happens. Now at the thought of never having any children I get sad sometimes instead of ecstatic at that thought when I was younger. If things were in a perfect situation with my fiancé and I (we were younger, especially him, and did not have any financial concerns), I'd really be sad; but, with the way things are it would be best from our perspective if we did not have any children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships