Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Not ALL Women. This maybe true before women were in the workplace. Women now make thier own and sometimes more then men.
Yet we hear they'd rather have someone that makes more than them and be able to brag about. Even the career driven women would rather stay at home while the husband still goes out to work, especially when a child enters the picture.

Family courts are hell for those who have the most to lose, and our system is far too corrupt and greedy to change it. Lawyers can make bank off of ruining lives of families or the individual paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:51 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
I didn't read all the posts but maybe someone already said this. It's the love based marriage system. Being in love is a necessary ingredient for marriage, but is never enough all by itself.

I think Elizabeth Gilbert said it best in this interview. She's the author of the populat book "Eat, Pray, Love". For her more recent book, "Committed" she studied marriage in depth in different cultlures:

" If you look at the history of marriage, anytime you see a conservative culture of arranged marriage being replaced by a more liberal culture of romantic marriage ... you will see divorce rates start to rise immediately.

It turns out that love is a very fragile notion upon which to base a very important and complicated institution. I think most people throughout history would look at the way we choose our marriages today and just think, my God, these people took huge risks. They risk their future, financial stability, property and their heirs on something as fragile and delicate as romantic affection."

It's not that that necessarily means that I advocate a return to arranged marriage, it just helps put in perspective why contemporary western marital arrangements can become so chaotic.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-01-05/living/elizabeth.gilbert.marriage.book_1_study-marriage-felipe-elizabeth-gilbert/2?_s=PM:LIVING

Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM

339 posts, read 836,941 times
Feminism

Old 05-20-2011, 12:14 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I didn't read all the posts but maybe someone already said this. It's the love based marriage system. Being in love is a necessary ingredient for marriage, but is never enough all by itself.

I think Elizabeth Gilbert said it best in this interview. She's the author of the populat book "Eat, Pray, Love". For her more recent book, "Committed" she studied marriage in depth in different cultlures:

" If you look at the history of marriage, anytime you see a conservative culture of arranged marriage being replaced by a more liberal culture of romantic marriage ... you will see divorce rates start to rise immediately.
I don't agree with the conservative culture vs the so called "romantic culture". What I see is that most women now have the ability to actively pursue the men who they want and what nearly all want is what the media has told them the must have to be considered successful. The minority of men who have these attributes, know that they have all that is needed for immediate success and no longer work at improving themselves. Sure, there are exceptions, but they are very rare - just enough to give women the illusion that it is possible to find such a man (Mr. Perfect) but no real chance.

A significant proportion of other men who don't possess these attributes, really do work hard at making up for this in other areas where they have control but there are far to few reasonable women looking for such men. By the time that most women have come to the realization that they either were not going to be successful in snagging Mr. Perfect or have found that he really is a putz, the other men have given up and moved on. Many stay single since there is really little need to get married anymore and some married flawed women and usually end up unhappy. Furthermore, they have seen how women treat the alpha types and realize that they really aren't that interested in them when they "come around to reality". Perhaps this is just the bitterness these women have, showing through.

Where marriage used to be much more of a union of relative equals and where women were usually realistic in what they really needed in a mate, it now tends to result in mismatches and a lot of men with unfulfilled and women with unrealistic expectations.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:10 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

It turns out that love is a very fragile notion upon which to base a very important and complicated institution. I think most people throughout history would look at the way we choose our marriages today and just think, my God, these people took huge risks. They risk their future, financial stability, property and their heirs on something as fragile and delicate as romantic affection."

It's not that that necessarily means that I advocate a return to arranged marriage, it just helps put in perspective why contemporary western marital arrangements can become so chaotic.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-01-05/living/elizabeth.gilbert.marriage.book_1_study-marriage-felipe-elizabeth-gilbert/2?_s=PM:LIVING
I tend to agree with this. People dont look into the future instead see only the here and now. They also believe love conquers all, but love like beauty are most often fleeting.

As well this is much more logical than believing all women share one collective mind and goal (set by the media) especially when diversity is evident and current statistics indicate more women are completing advanced degrees, ~50% of all women are in the workforce, womens' salaries are now gaining and surpassing that of mens and more women are marrying later in life. If all women were concerned with pursuing mr. successful we would be consentrating on our looks not careers.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
The 5th or 6th highest in the world. Looks at these stats...

DivorceMag: World Divorce Statistics
Because, when the economy tanks it doesnt help to be constantly arguing about bills and finances It gets tiresome and becomes hell. Life is too short. American quality of life has been circling the drain now....divorce is a natural response.

Also when children leave the house, or for a lot of couples in America who wait til later, bcs they cant afford kids, it becomes a daily grind.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I'm surprised no one's posted the recent census statistics: Number of long-lasting marriages in U.S. has risen, Census Bureau reports - The Washington Post

Quote:
Three in four couples who married after 1990 celebrated a 10-year anniversary, according to census statistics reported Wednesday. That was a rise of three percentage points compared with couples who married in the early 1980s, when the nation’s divorce rate was at its highest.

One reason for the increase, said demographers and sociologists who study families, is that people are marrying later in life, after they have completed their education. Not only are they more mature, but they also are more financially secure.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:47 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

I think that's mostly because the people who aren't marriage material don't bother to get married any more. They just live together with one partner and then move on to the next when it doesn't work out.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM

328 posts, read 603,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Not ALL Women. This maybe true before women were in the workplace. Women now make thier own and sometimes more then men.
Women who are successful and make lots of money would date a man who works his ass off for $11 an hour and drives a ford focus to work? I don't think so.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Today I heard on the radio that divorce rates have been down in all age groups except for the baby boomers after long marriages. I guess people make it through while the kids are a distractor and responsibility and when that's over they have to get sort of reacquainted with each other and there isn't much left... Same crap happens when people retire and can't stand each other in the house at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships