Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,216 times

Advertisements

The 5th or 6th highest in the world. Looks at these stats...

DivorceMag: World Divorce Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:11 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,518 times
Because the products of the over-protective soccer moms who won't allow their children to be disciplined have grown up to marriage-age and have no idea how to compromise. They see what marriage is by the definition of Hollywood--which is often unrealistic and quite frankly, impossible--and expect such things for their own lives. When reality comes and slaps them in the face, they throw a tantrum expecting their mate to bow to their needs without a fight since that is what they're used to but this does not in fact happen so the final resort is to flee and look for greener pastures.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 12,499 times
Don't worry about it......... the democrats have a fix! (why get married)

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
That's an easy one. Europe has pretty much abolished marriage and if you get divorced in many other continents, you get stoned to death. And I don't mean the "let's whip out the 3 footer and rice krispie treats" stoned.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
It seems, from a brief glance at that list, that countries that tend to be more religious have lower divorce rates. Spain, Italy, Israel, India, etc.

I have always thought that the divorce rate was high in the US because it's a more viable option than it is in a lot of other places. If your religion doesn't prohibit it (or *really* frown on it), and society otherwise accepts it, it becomes a much more attractive alternative than staying in a relationship that you don't want to be in.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 PM

107 posts, read 96,734 times
okay this what I think. From expierence with other country and women I know that these ladies in united states do not treat men good. These women are very selfish people and do nothing good for there man. It other country the women do many things like cooking cleaning and doing all other chores. I see many women in this country do none of these thing and think they should be pamperd by men. These women get upset and divorce because they are bad people.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
And I don't mean the "let's whip out the 3 footer and rice krispie treats" stoned.
If only that was our punishment for everything.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy K View Post
okay this what I think. From expierence with other country and women I know that these ladies in united states do not treat men good. These women are very selfish people and do nothing good for there man. It other country the women do many things like cooking cleaning and doing all other chores. I see many women in this country do none of these thing and think they should be pamperd by men. These women get upset and divorce because they are bad people.
And
Some of us like being a "kept woman". I cook and clean. I may not be the one doing the weekly DEEP cleaning of the house but I pick up stuff everyday (that job NEVER ends). I prefer to be pampered and well taken care of. In return I take good care of him. I don't let myself go and HE prefers that I look good.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy K View Post
ok, this is enough. Please stop with the Boris and Natasha thing, it was cute, but now youve started bashing American women, and I am just not gonna have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And
Some of us like being a "kept woman". I cook and clean. I may not be the one doing the weekly DEEP cleaning of the house but I pick up stuff everyday (that job NEVER ends). I prefer to be pampered and well taken care of. In return I take good care of him. I don't let myself go and HE prefers that I look good.
Hey, good for you!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 PM

167 posts, read 258,438 times
I think a lot of people get married with the idea that they now have someone to take care of them, they don't have to worry about dating (and that can be a lot of pressure on someone, exspecially when all of their friends are married/getting married) and most people don't realize how much work goes into making a marriage work. It becomes to much for them to handle. I think a lot of people make a lot of love, looking for love, and basically will settle for someone because that is better then being alone. (I almost died when I first heard of the 3 date rule. Meaning that it's ok to have sex after 3 dates). Today people don't take the time to really get to know their partner, shoot most people don't know theirselves well enough to know what makes them happy and what drives them crazy until it's to late.

When I think about growing up, I KNEW that when I got home from school, my mom would be there. I KNEW that I had certain things that I did everyday and they where expected of me, I wasn't allowed to do what I wanted to do until what I had to do was done. Kids today, are left home alone because it takes two incomes to make ends meet. This gives kids a lot of time to watch tv, play video games, hang out with friends, and sometimes get into trouble. This also leaves them a lot of time to be "lonely". We as parents give them more, because we feel guilty because we're not home with them the way we should be, or think we should be. This inturn makes are kids feel that they are "entitled" to more....Eventually these kids grow up...expecting more, giving less, and they feel like they have to fill the void with something or someone. They don't understand why they feel the way they do, they just do. They are not intouch with their feelings because no one has the time to listen to how they feel...They marry looking for love, and they usually leave because they think they have found someone who better understands them, loves them more, or worse yet because they can't stand to be alone after their ex has left them.

I think when both people work in the marriage it also causes problems. My mom never worked outside of the house. She did all of the cooking, cleaning, and daily house keeping. Us kids cut the grass, and took care of the animals. This left time for us to be a family and have family time every night. We ate dinner as a family, and very seldom ate out. Sometimes we played ball or chased lighting bugs or maybe even just watched tv, but we did it together. When both people work outside of the house, and both are equally as tired when they get home, and have to cook dinner do the dishes, take care of the kids and do daily chores there is no down time for anybody. I have heard complaints from co-works (more times then I can count) about their spouse. When one or both people in a marriage starts to talk to other people about their marriage instead of their SO there are problems. We need people to understand us, feel how we feel, or to somehow connect with the people around us so much so, that we end up putting co-workers before our spouses. This only adds fuel to the fire. Now that you have someone who understands how you feel, you also have their opinion and all that goes with it. You can hear it at the time clock...before the day even gets started....You won't guess what he/she did last night. Oh, I wouldn't put up with that....You ought to.....I would do....and before you know it, something as small as while I was cooking dinner last night, and he was sitting on his butt in front of the tv and wouldn't help a bit....becomes nasty words, hurtful words, and ends in someone cheating or getting a divorce....Talk to your spouse not your coworkers (or your kids, they don't deserve to be put in the middle of an adult situation).

I don't believe marriage should be based on a persons looks, popularity, or what they can/can't do for me. It shouldn't be about if I cook dinner, you have to cut the grass, and if I do the dishes, you have to do the laundry. It's a partnership...you do what's needed at the time. You only get out of your marriage/relationships what you put into them.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side....sometimes it's full of briars and weeds....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships