Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 03:34 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Someone is going to show for their interview in dirty and wrinkled clothing with bed head. Haha
Ha! True!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 03:35 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
"So, tell me about yourself."

Ever get this one? Doesn't it seem like a one-way conversation? One person sits back, the other person proceeds to entertain with facts and details.

For those who use this question, what do you like about the question? Is it a matter of style? Are there any feelings of putting the other person on the spot? If it's intentional, is it your intention to put the other person on the spot?
Too broad a question. They say that asking more specific questions is better, more effective at drawing people out. "Tell me about yourself" puts the person on the spot, can result in them floundering to find a topic to start with, and seems lazy on the part of the questioner. Anyone faced with a question like that should come back with, "What would you like to know?"

Old 01-14-2016, 03:41 PM

347 posts, read 427,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
I don't like that question nor do I use it. If someone were to say, "So, tell me about yourself." I would respond with, "What do you want to know?"

It comes across an an interview question. I just prefer normal back and forth communication. That way, we can both get a chance to learn more about each other.
I agree. It reminds me of almost every job interview I have ever had. Sometimes I almost want to break into a review of my work history. And to me, if I get asked that sort of question, then I feel like there isn't going to be much conversational chemistry.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:47 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
I'll respond with a couple of things and a question or two about them. If they don't respond in kind, I don't bother with them any more, and simply move on to someone who can handle a conversation.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:19 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
That was not my M.O. I just asked whatever came to mind as the conversation flowed. I've been on the receiving end of this, and I usually responded asking what they wanted to know.

In the majority of cases, where there was mutual interest, they were just as open and comfortable sharing their story or parts of it.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,683 times
I would imagine that whether someone feels put on the spot depends on if the person asking has a RISK face--Resting Insane Serial Killer face.

There's "so, tell me a little bit about yourself" and then there's "tell me...Clarice."

Old 01-14-2016, 06:32 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I agree it's kinda lazy and puts someone on the spot.

I would just tell them some of the stuff I do in my free time, hobbies, etc.

Or "Welllll, next week is the Solstice, so you know, gotta climb to the top of the mountain and bleed a goat. It makes laundry difficult, but you gotta do what you gotta do. You?"
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-14-2016, 07:00 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I have always found that an awkward question. I mean where do I start? "Oh, it's an age-old tale of a simple girl born in suburbia, spreading her wings against the confines of her age and gender until fledgling adulthood and a career that entailed...Hey...hey." (JerZ pushes date's shoulder) "Are you awake?"

I mean HowTF much do they want to know, LOL.

I think I pretty much have always answered it with, "What do you want to know?" and a smile. Then the person comes up with something or other..."Well, what do you do for a living?" and voila, a jumping-off point.
I'm stealing that. I'm dead serious.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:14 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm stealing that. I'm dead serious.
LOL. Take it (handing off the cheesy backstory to Three Wolves)...and godspeed.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
I agree. It reminds me of almost every job interview I have ever had. Sometimes I almost want to break into a review of my work history. And to me, if I get asked that sort of question, then I feel like there isn't going to be much conversational chemistry.
Job interview questions on dates...one could REALLY have fun with this.

"Where do you see yourself in five years?"

* "Collecting alimony from you."
* "With your brother...OMG, look, not hatin' but it's easy to see who got the looks in the family...amiright?"
* "With a penis. FINALLY. Did you know insurance doesn't cover that? Only $20K more to go!"
* "Still not caught yet. Or, I hope not."
* "Raptured." (best if delivered with wide-eyed "I'm high"-face)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships