Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:32 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Absolutely not. Even in today's market, a HS diploma with a clean criminal record pretty much guarantees above minimum wage. Someone who is making only minimum wage very likely does not have their life in good order. But I do support a higher, regionally adjusted minimum wage.
I have a high school diploma with a clean criminal record and all I can get are jobs that pay peanuts. I'm currently taking classes at my community college and have a long ways to go before I get a decent pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 10:47 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSparks View Post
15 dollars an hour in 2020 is plenty right?
sure, I'd date someone that makes minimum wage...as much as I'd date someone that makes a medium, or high wage.
I would date someone
I don't date money.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:06 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,247 times
I can not recall any point in my life where income was one of the factors I considered when looking at a potential relationship.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:23 AM

920 posts, read 931,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
sure, I'd date someone that makes minimum wage...as much as I'd date someone that makes a medium, or high wage.
I would date someone
I don't date money.
What they said ^^

I would never pass up a good guy (if I was single) over greed. They're too difficult to find

Old 01-27-2016, 02:47 AM

1,485 posts, read 953,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
And it is not "gold digging". I enjoy a certain lifestyle. No doubt I was privileged to have the opportunity to go to college. I have worked to advance in my career and have succeeded in doing that despite taking time off to stay at home with little kids. I want to enjoy said lifestyle. There is no moral or character problem with being low wage. But it does not afford one the same comfort. I would wait for a guy I was very interested in. But I would not accept that as the norm.
Wow! Some of you people are really shallow.

I hope I never have to get into the dating pool again. I have a feeling I'd be wasting a lot of time wading through all the shallow people who want find someone wealthy to leech onto.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:59 AM

741 posts, read 478,522 times
No probably not because they likely work fast food which is not what I need in my life. I am highly educated I want someone with much better earning potential and I'm 25 and date older there is no reason for a man over 25 (actually over 22) to work that type of job

Old 01-27-2016, 04:06 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,183,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post

I hope I never have to get into the dating pool again. I have a feeling I'd be wasting a lot of time wading through all the shallow people who want find someone wealthy to leech onto.
I am not sure how that is shallow. I am currently employed at a level where I can afford to send my kids to a handful of decent activities that they are interested in. I think that is good for them. I have a house and all it's responsibility. I live in a middle class, rural neighborhood. I am hardy wealthy. And don't need someone else' money to support myself. And leech? What a nasty assumption.

But let's see, While I am thinking about my kids' college fund, he is thinking about how to keep the heat on. What are we going to talk about? Were do we go on dates? Does he feel great if I am paying for all of them? I sincerely doubt it, unless he is a gold digger himself. Am I going to let his kids go to school in substandard boots and coats? Of course not. Is he going to love that? I sincerely doubt that. How is it going to be for me to be funneling the money that could be going towards my kids, my first priority, are going instead to his subsistence?

It remains a fact that one of the biggest relationship killers is financial differences. There is a world apart between minimum wage and wealth. Do I feel guilty that my parents were able to offer me a college education? (By non-standard creative means, I will have you. I am one generation away from serious poverty myself. Yay, GI bill!) I feel very privileged. I have worked hard. But no harder than any person laboring at the low end of the wage pool. There is no moral or character implication to be a low wage earner. But the lifestyle differences are vast enough that it would simply not make sense.

We can solve the problem by voting Bernie in 2016.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
No probably not because they likely work fast food which is not what I need in my life. I am highly educated I want someone with much better earning potential and I'm 25 and date older there is no reason for a man over 25 (actually over 22) to work that type of job
There are a LOT of reasons. Let's look at some of the kids my son goes to school with. One kid was born of a severely drug addicted mom and a convict dad. He, messed up as he is, was taken in by his ailing grandmother. Had he not, what opportunities would he have? Another kid beaten regularly, in and out of homes, always back to his birth family. Never in class. By age, he is a freshman. But all his classes are specialized for him because he missed so much school that who even knows what grade level he is operating at? If he graduates high school it will be a minor miracle.

Have you read Manchild in the Promised Land? Super fricking depressing. But it gives a little insight into what culture, social and economic pressures some kids grow up in. Left to fend for themselves in a barely subsisting environment of cruelty and pain.

I heard a news report yesterday of young people in the inner city. This one young man was reached by a program that puts combat vets together with youth who have witnessed terminal violence. One kid talked about walking to and from school and the different defense strategies he and his friends had to keep from getting shot. I ask you, if you are worried about getting shot, how much of your attention are you going to be able to pay to schoolwork, what you want to be when you grow up? Luckily this one young man gained courage from the program and was going to stick it out in school. But they mentioned the many kids who did not, back on the streets.

And those are the big horror stories. What about the kids who just grow up without enough to eat? Mom and/or Dad are doing their best. But it is never enough.

I take no credit for the fact that that is not me today. My parents mapped their lives very carefully and were extremely fortunate in the opportunities that they could take advantage of to make sure we were not in that boat.

We all hear up from their boot straps stories. Yay! But to think that an entire group of poor people, which grows in numbers every year, can do that is absurd. I have been driven to my knees by problems mundane compared to what these people face. To insinuate that failure to earn a good income at the ripe old age of 25 is a character defect is, at best unkind, at worst the most dangerous kind of ignorant,

Old 01-27-2016, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I have a high school diploma with a clean criminal record and all I can get are jobs that pay peanuts. I'm currently taking classes at my community college and have a long ways to go before I get a decent pay.
Go, Keydawgg. Free Saturday?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post

I'm in my 40s and make a very comfortable white-collar salary. My teenager works at Chipotle. I date my peers, she dates hers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships