Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:18 PM

15,076 posts, read 10,146,827 times

Advertisements

Back when I was dating, I rarely asked a girl for a number unless we already established some sort of comfort level; I did't want to put her in a position have having to deny it to me and come up with an excuse why. I generally would give her my number and leave it up to her to call it.

These days a tracfone for 10 bucks and 20 bucks for 6 months of service with no identity attached to it is a no brainer for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:40 PM

102,264 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I HATE it when i ask for a number and a girls gives me her FB name or says " email me" like jeez! just save me the trouble and tell me you don't like me! OR ( this has happened to me several times) She gives me a number and i call it and she tells me " oh thats my other phone i have 2". LOL the excuses a woman will make to not talk to a guy!
I guess it never occurred to you that they might be doing that for safety reasons... It's all about you?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,786,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Nudes gone viral?
No I delete them immediately and block the sender. I have also been known to call my friend the local sheriff, who is all too happy to reach out.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 PM

102,264 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Back when I was dating, I rarely asked a girl for a number unless we already established some sort of comfort level; I did't want to put her in a position have having to deny it to me and come up with an excuse why. I generally would give her my number and leave it up to her to call it.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:45 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,474,545 times
I would just Immediatly move on.
Not interested in someone who utilizes SM in that fashion. It speaks to a much deeper problem looming in the distance

Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,612,279 times
This is weird to me and has never happened to me. I can see reaching out to someone via social media if you met them but didn't get to exchange numbers, but to ask for a number and get a Facebook name instead?

I'd just assume they weren't that into me. Then again, like others said, she might be doing it for "security reasons," but how much security does one really need? If he/she starts calling too much, you block them.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:52 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,612,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I guess it never occurred to you that they might be doing that for safety reasons... It's all about you?
I have a question though... It's a phone number, which I'm assuming in 2016 means cell phone. What safety?

I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing, then.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:42 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,744,869 times
I always ask for number first (I'm a woman).

I found that guys I meet on dating websites have a strange tendency to look me up on Facebook and send me friend friend requests before our first date. I don't like this, especially as I never give my last name to anyone before the second date.

They usually ask for Whatsapp in my case, not Facebook so much unless we've already been on a date or two.

One of my flings asked me for my last name on our second date and said: "Don't worry, I won't look you up or anything". Really? Then what do you want my last name for? I didn't take offense in it since we had already exchanged numbers.

I don't like interacting on Facebook to be honest, but then again, most guys prefer to text so it's not any different from chatting on Facebook. I simply don't want them to be all up in my business before even having the chance to get to know them better. Not providing your Facebook account allows to pace the "relationship" as you please. If they already know everything about you by the second date, it's boring.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:26 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,786,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
This is weird to me and has never happened to me. I can see reaching out to someone via social media if you met them but didn't get to exchange numbers, but to ask for a number and get a Facebook name instead?

I'd just assume they weren't that into me. Then again, like others said, she might be doing it for "security reasons," but how much security does one really need? If he/she starts calling too much, you block them.
It's not about them calling too much. You would be amazed at how many scumbags use phone numbers they have collected to send dick pics when it is late at night and they are drunk and horny--Months after the fact, and sometimes in a group message to ladies in their contact list.

I need to get to know more about them before I give out my number to a stranger.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:30 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,118,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
These days a tracfone for 10 bucks and 20 bucks for 6 months of service with no identity attached to it is a no brainer for some.
That's what I've done previously and it's great security. I never give out my real number when dating.

Google voice is a really good option too. They assign you a random phone number that rings to your real cell phone and the person never has to know that it's not your real number. You'll know automatically if it's a Google voice call and you can choose to ignore it or answer it. My brother uses his google voice number to give out to businesses and such because he doesn't have a landline and this way he knows what calls are sales calls and what calls are personal calls to his real number.

I would personally never give my Facebook to a guy I barely know. I find it shocking that anyone would want a complete stranger that kind of access to their pictures and posts and all of the other personal stuff on Facebook. I think it is very dangerous to do that because what if the guy or girl ends up being unstable and now they know where you live and work and hang out and how to find you. Not smart at all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships