Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,416,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Why bother to remarry at all, just date and or shack up, why bother at 57 and with too much stuff to lose as you said your self.
Lol, that's what I was thinking.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,506,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In this day and age, we see all kinds of stories about men being rejected for all sorts of superfluous reasons, often by women who in years past would have at least considered the man. Women clearly have the upper hand in the legal system, and in the general dating market. Society is clearly becoming more liberal, and tilting its preferences toward women.

Will many men simply opt out of the dating/marriage going forward in the near term, say, five to ten years?
Men reject women for superfluous reasons, too. With that said, for the men who want to opt out, please do.

It will minimize the competition for the rest of us.

[]

Old 02-05-2016, 05:34 PM

13,681 posts, read 9,768,823 times
Quote:
I've spent time researching it, the only benefit that you can't get unless married at least ten yrs is social security benefits if one spouse dies and made a lot more money than the other the other can claim the difference. The other stuff can be dealt with by drawing up legal docs such as living wills, power of attorney etc etc etc.
Here's one example. Some years ago, back when I was married, I broke my leg in a freakish tree-trimming accident. There I was, in the emergency-room, sitting for hours, staring dumbly at the ceiling. When she learned what had happened (this was before we had cellular telephones), my then-wife went to the hospital to visit me. When she walked into the room, immediately my world lit up. There she was, able to visit me, to offer solace and support in a desperate and vulnerable time. Had she only been my girlfriend, she wouldn't have been allowed to visit me. That alone is worth getting married!

Old 02-05-2016, 05:35 PM

519 posts, read 732,978 times
I've never had luck asking women out irl or online. I'll admit though a lot of that has to do with where I am in life. I'm 24, I have depression and anxiety disorders (which I take meds for and have under control), I don't have a job, I've never learned how to drive, and I live at my parents. I've had jobs, but they've all been minimum wage jobs. And I didn't save money at them. I've been more content just partying. So a lot of my problems are just that, my problems. It's also stuff I can still fix. I'm a decently good looking guy, a genuinely nice person, and very honest. I just don't have much else to offer to a woman at this point in my life.

There's no way I'm giving up on finding love though. Some days it's frustrating, but than I realize I gotta change things in my life if I want to find a relationship. I think people put to much pressure on being a certain way by a certain age. Things have changed so much in the last 100-150 years. Humans live significantly longer on average. I believe in the US the average person lives to 78, and some live way longer than that. Even in the early 1900's the average American only lived on average to age 50, which is pretty crazy. So I feel like nowadays, you're still in the prime of your life in your 30's and 40's.

So I don't hold anything against mgtow guys, but I'm not personally willing to just give up. Life's a marathon, not a sprint.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:02 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,363,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Because marriage confers onto both partners important rights and privileges, which become ever more important as we grow older and more frail.
Ex-wife v2.0 was a live-in girlfriend for five years. The important privilege was to put her on my gold-plated health insurance when hers vaporized. I had not intended to remarry. We had a great relationship and lived a very good life. It was a very non-romantic "I think we should get married so I can get on your health insurance." I couldn't foresee the suicide event a year later that trashed our marriage. I was pretty devastated by the whole thing.

Other than inheritance tax treatment and Social Security survivor benefits, there's not much marriage does that wouldn't be possible with a will and a durable power of attorney document. I guess if I had a pension, that would be a consideration. From a financial point of view, you'd have to run the numbers and see what made the most sense. Not the most romantic thing but if getting married gives your standard of living a big hit, you want to know about it ahead of time.

My mom has severe memory loss problems and is in assisted living. I have durable power of attorney and manage all her affairs. There's nothing a spouse could do that I can't do. ...well, unless you're Oedipus.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:15 PM

52,386 posts, read 52,853,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Ex-wife v2.0 was a live-in girlfriend for five years. The important privilege was to put her on my gold-plated health insurance when hers vaporized. I had not intended to remarry. We had a great relationship and lived a very good life. It was a very non-romantic "I think we should get married so I can get on your health insurance." I couldn't foresee the suicide event a year later that trashed our marriage. I was pretty devastated by the whole thing.

Other than inheritance tax treatment and Social Security survivor benefits, there's not much marriage does that wouldn't be possible with a will and a durable power of attorney document. I guess if I had a pension, that would be a consideration. From a financial point of view, you'd have to run the numbers and see what made the most sense. Not the most romantic thing but if getting married gives your standard of living a big hit, you want to know about it ahead of time.

My mom has severe memory loss problems and is in assisted living. I have durable power of attorney and manage all her affairs. There's nothing a spouse could do that I can't do. ...well, unless you're Oedipus.

That's what I was talking about as well. In terms of the broken leg/visiting deal, most of the time they don't even ask if you married, if they do, just say yes, no one is checking credentials for that stuff, been in a few situations were the nurse staff just assumed that they were spouses. Heck mrs. Chow's dad had a long time GF and when he was basically dying she was by his side the whole time, from ER room to when he got checked into a room and they weren't married, I don't think this stuff is as big of a deal anymore.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:20 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,919,977 times
Pretty much everywhere, assets owned before marriage remain the assets of the spouse who owned those assets before marriage

Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,917,896 times
A rise in hypergamy, along with a general acceptance of it as being normal has almost guaranteed that at some point in relationships, both parties ultimately go their own way.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:42 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,917,896 times
It's just really all about hypergamy at this point.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:52 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,363,201 times
Quote:
That's what I was talking about as well. In terms of the broken leg/visiting deal, most of the time they don't even ask if you married, if they do, just say yes, no one is checking credentials for that stuff, been in a few situations were the nurse staff just assumed that they were spouses. Heck mrs. Chow's dad had a long time GF and when he was basically dying she was by his side the whole time, from ER room to when he got checked into a room and they weren't married, I don't think this stuff is as big of a deal anymore.
If you have a durable power of attorney that takes HIPAA into account, they can't keep you out of the ER. Any recent boiler plate does that. The main issue in hospitals is the whole HIPAA privacy conformance issue. They can get sued if they give out any information about a patient. A POA diffuses that whole issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships