Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 05:22 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,492,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Most prejudices boil down to the same few things - mostly fear and blame.

My point about the gender is that it's always more pleasant when it isn't you that is being targeted.
I don't think being pleasant is a prerequisite to attempting to understand another logic and where their perspective hinges from

I understand it's uncomfortable due to personal feelings, but that isn't an excuse to lump everyone who makes you feel that way in to the same bucket as the next.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:23 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,254,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
I don't think being pleasant is a prerequisite to attempting to understand another logic and where their perspective hinges from
I was trying to use a bit of humor. I apologize.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:32 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,154,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
And - totally agree with the patronizing. An insult is still an insult even if it's dressed up in some flowery language.

Absolutely. There is lots of "that's an emotional response" or "that's compassion" and there is "no point" to that type of communication (paraphrasing), it's all couched in the "you women are emotional, why can't you be more logical and direct like us men". It's totally patronizing, and if anyone really knows anything about sociology and communication styles and their effectiveness, its complete and total bunk.

But mostly I have issue with it just being patronizing / insulting / degrading. Their attempts to actually engage in a reasonable dialogue are so insincere I've almost lost my appetite for the burrito. Almost.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:33 PM

48,665 posts, read 35,157,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Absolutely. There is lots of "that's an emotional response" or "that's compassion" and there is "no point" to that type of communication (paraphrasing), it's all couched in the "you women are emotional, why can't you be more logical and direct like us men". It's totally patronizing, and if anyone really knows anything about sociology and communication styles and their effectiveness, its complete and total bunk.

But mostly I have issue with it just being patronizing / insulting / degrading.

That's pretty much what I got from his posts.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2016, 05:36 PM

1,679 posts, read 1,135,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Why is this thread still going on? There are far more important things to worry about in this country then a bunch of dudes who want attention for not being able to get laid. There's an entire city of people who don't have clean drinking water right now as we speak due to criminal negligence. And this is what people want to talk about?
The collapse of the western marriage institution, the traditional family, and impending doom with social security/medicare due to low birth rates is definitely worth discussing. Like I said before the cause is partially due to good birth control, partially due to the corrupt legal system surrounding marriage, partially due to the spiraling cost of housing and student debt, and partially due to the weakening job market.

Also people pushing for reasonable adjustments to the family court system is reasonable dont you think? One of my family members pays their ex wife over 40k a year in alimony, despite the fact that theyve been divorced over 20 years, the kids are grown (and dont even live in the same state as the wife) and the wife is a working college graduate with a good job. Fair?

As for "getting laid" Ive done it thousands of times between a multitude of different women in different circumstances. I dont even think its something that really requires much skill or is really worthy of admiration frankly, and neither is getting married or popping out kids you cant afford.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,154,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

Also people pushing for reasonable adjustments to the family court system is reasonable dont you think? One of my family members pays their ex wife over 40k a year in alimony, despite the fact that theyve been divorced over 20 years, the kids are grown (and dont even live in the same state as the wife) and the wife is a working college graduate with a good job. Fair?

No, it doesn't sound it on its face (though I don't know what they were earning or the circumstances of their divorce), but that has nothing to do with now. That settlement was based on laws 20 years ago. If you want to complain about what the laws used to be, go ahead, but they're nothing like the laws now.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:47 PM

48,665 posts, read 35,157,062 times
Women are responsible for the downfall of civilization.

Gentlemen, respect the V.

The evils caused by women started with Eve, so the rest of this is to be expected.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2016, 05:58 PM

204 posts, read 146,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I do understand it a bit. Its just that they don't seem to be able to rationally discuss it, and their language (on here) seems really patronizing.

I mean, I would like to understand why adversaries (say Al Qaeda) want to attack us in their words

Since you already have a problem with my method of expression, what makes you think you are capable to process what Al Qaeda says to you in their words? Do you think they will be nice guys? What are the probabilities that they will have the manners and tact that you require, and will respond well when you tell them that they talk with blatant idiocy?

May I ask, are you in college or university?

Old 02-11-2016, 06:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,254,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvianfisher View Post
Since you already have a problem with my method of expression, what makes you think you are capable to process what Al Qaeda says to you in their words? Do you think they will be nice guys? What are the probabilities that they will have the manners and tact that you require, and will respond well when you tell them that they talk with blatant idiocy?

May I ask, are you in college or university?
The point is that Al Qaeda is a threat to our safety (not the ONLY threat - just A threat) - so there would be a point in really trying to understand them. One might be willing to look past insults and derogatory statements to get to the heart of the matter. Peace might be gained. I don't think that the same can be said about MGTOW. But please don't take that as a challenge to rise to the level of Al Qaeda.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:20 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,507,621 times
I doubt younger men will but older men like me it could be different. A lot of the women I have met recently simply don't have anything I really need aside from the usual. I want somebody I can work with and plan with, accomplish things with when it comes to enjoying life. Both I have met in the last 6 months have been more or less nonconstructive when it comes to doing anything that would require some commitment of time and effort.

I guess this summer I'll be seeing the Mexican pyramids by myself and probably Rio this winter too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships