Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:32 AM

7 posts, read 9,001 times

Advertisements

So my boyfriend was at the gym and I was at home, he arrives back and it's around 8pm. I've just started watching a film on his computer, he greets me and then I asks when I'm going to be done with his computer. So, I tell him that I'd really like it if I could continue watching this film on it, because the screen is really big and I don't feel like lying in bed with my tiny laptop. He's intermediately like "But..." and he then starts to launch into this massive sulk about how he has some stuff to do on his computer (I'm not really buying this as he spends every single night after work constantly glued to his computer until we go to bed.) So, I mean I protest because I feel like sticking up for myself, he becomes really angry and is acting like a hurt little child, he's saying things like "UHHH! YOU" and giving me horrible looks, like I've just deeply offended him or something.. I can't understand his behavior as I thought he wouldn't mind having a break from his computer whilst I just watched this film. Anyway, he ends up blowing this all way out of proportion saying things like "Oh, you just don't understand", and being quite abusive. A few minutes in, he declares that he's just going to go to bed and so he turns all of the lights off (our room is pitch black) and gets under the covers. He is then like "'Let's just break up - we don't work very well together anyway" and I think he calls me some name.

The reason why I didn't give in is because he has being incredibly spoilt growing up by his parents and he cannot handle it if he doesn't get his own way or has to make a compromise. He's 20 years old by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
He's a child.
Move on.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:45 AM

619 posts, read 574,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosettea View Post
The reason why I didn't give in is because he has being incredibly spoilt growing up by his parents and he cannot handle it if he doesn't get his own way or has to make a compromise. He's 20 years old by the way.
Twenty years old acting like a three year old?

Based on one incident of fighting over the computer, and hearing only your side of the story, I wouldn't think too much of it. But from your description, he was abusive to you, *and* he always has to have things his way. Doesn't sound like great boyfriend material to me

Old 02-04-2016, 04:51 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
It was his computer and if he needed it for work (or for any reason really, it's his property) you should have given it back. You were only watching a movie. To me that was a little selfish and I would have been pissed too.

However his reaction as described was OTT. If he gets that angry, breaks up with you and calls you mean names all the time, I'd rethink this relationship.

If he doesn't do it all the time is have a serious talk with him over it. And I'd apologize for acting like a brat over his computer.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:51 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,048 times
Well, it was HIS computer. Still not a good reason for him to be abusive, though.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:02 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Understand, most 20 year old's act like 5 year old's; only diff is that they have pubic hair.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:03 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
It was his computer and if he needed it for work (or for any reason really, it's his property) you should have given it back. You were only watching a movie. To me that was a little selfish and I would have been pissed too.

However his reaction as described was OTT. If he gets that angry, breaks up with you and calls you mean names all the time, I'd rethink this relationship.

If he doesn't do it all the time is have a serious talk with him over it. And I'd apologize for acting like a brat over his computer.
I agree with this.Now your boyfriend's reaction was OTT, and he was wrong to get that crazy about it, or call you out of your name. However, you weren't innocent either. If the computer belongs to him, then he has a right to ask for it regardless of what you're doing, especially if you're just watching a movie. So it really wasn't appropriate or within your right to decide when he can have his own personal property back. Especially when it's something he uses quite a bit. Buy your own computer, like he did.

Last edited by HappyRain; 02-04-2016 at 05:24 AM..

Old 02-04-2016, 05:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Any chance he is from Bulgaria?

Either way, his reaction was very immature and revealing of his true feelings.

Google "fair fighting in a relationship." I hope you aren't planning to get married soon.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:46 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Kids.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:06 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Immaturity all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships