Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:42 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

So it looks like I'm going to cross the 30 mark with no girlfriend. Suppose, hypothetically, I even reach 35, or God forbid, 40, and still single. This would mean I can only choose a significantly younger partner if I want to have kids. What is the point at which this becomes a serious problem? 35? 40?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Really depends on your restrictions. Are you looking for a blond, blue eyed 10, with no kids and no prior marriages? Or do you have more realistic ideas?

For me it has been awful in my older years because guys seem to want no prior marriage, no kids and women that want more kids. None of that fits me.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:20 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
You're coming up on 30? You are still young!!
Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones is 68 and expecting twins with his much younger wife.

Seriously, chill out. Reset your ideals if "the one" isn't dropping in your lap as you'd hoped.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
It's really counterproductive to engage in that kind of worst-case scenario thinking.

Just live your life, be the best version of you that you can, seek personal growth and open yourself up to the value of others.

Freaking yourself out for no reason won't help.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:28 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
My financial advisor savored his single life for an extended time period. He didn't realize his want for a family until his mid-40s. He recently got married and had his first child in his early 50s. I will admit. He has money, charisma, and good looks even in his 50s. So he was able to attract a significantly younger woman to start a family; I believe she is in her mid 30s. So it is possible. However, he has to accept the fact that it is going to be increasingly difficult for him to keep up with the child as they get older. He will be pushing 70s by the time the kid is a teen.

My father had me at 32. He wanted to complete the immigration process prior to starting a family. Even he felt that it was too late and advised me to have kids before 30. I couldn't do it due to financial hardship so I was bound to repeat my father's decision; I had my first kid in my early 30s. My father another child 14 years after myself. My much younger brother is not as disciplined nor as driven as I am (still living at home in his 20s). I have heard my father saying that he simply didn't have the energy to instill the same discipline and drive as he had done with me.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:36 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
I'm 31 with no kids so still plenty of time mate

Old 02-28-2016, 12:46 PM

404 posts, read 366,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
So it looks like I'm going to cross the 30 mark with no girlfriend. Suppose, hypothetically, I even reach 35, or God forbid, 40, and still single. This would mean I can only choose a significantly younger partner if I want to have kids. What is the point at which this becomes a serious problem? 35? 40?
As someone who is in this situation, I can tell you this, it can be quite hard.

If you are not moderately handsome and fit, you will struggle.

I am overweight, not obese but I need to lose weight. I am not too picky, but my biggest issue is that I can now no longer find women that WANT kids, they usually say that they are done, or they have their tubes tied

At this point, as a guy, I have baby fever and I feel like I will never have a family. It has gotten to the point where i had to let some women go because they did not want children anymore. My advice, do it as quick as possible. I am 37 now, and its so hard for me here and I am in a major metropolis in my city.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
I think it's very telling that you're here asking this question...rather than asking HOW to achieve what you want. Are you trying to get used to the idea of no family? Getting comfortable with the idea of no kids?

Because seriously, this isn't the 1800's where everyone was married by 20. 30 is nothing...even 40 not that old for a GUY. So get busy instead of asking if it can be done - it obviously can be. But the days of being picky are lessening...time to get real and not hold out for a '10' who probably doesn't want a family anyway.

All you need is a decent source of income and not be terribly homely. If you make a little more money, you are compensated and can be a little homelier. As long as you're reasonably personable and aren't an alcoholic or wifebeater you'll be fine.

Last edited by reneeh63; 02-28-2016 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 01:57 PM

214 posts, read 176,499 times
I have no desire to have children. So, hah!

Old 02-28-2016, 02:29 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
This can become a problem right now if you're not looking after yourself & don't have much to bring to the table. Focus on improving yourself in every area of your life. Also start practising positive thinking to attract the type of person you hopefully want to be with. Obviously if you tend to be more pessimistic then carry on, but don't react with surprise when you end up attracting other pessimists!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships