Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:30 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,401,084 times

Advertisements

Time to move on and find a better one...cheater once shame on him, cheater twice shame on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 12:02 PM

10,225 posts, read 18,009,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by __melissa786 View Post
I don't want to sound over dramatic or crazy but my break up with my ex boyfriend was literally hell for me. It was very messy, a lot of back and forth, and very confusing.

I have several questions...

He had an old female friend come back into his life, and our relationship just changed from there. He ended up telling me one day that basically he really likes her, she understands him (he was going through some issues and she helped him a lot through it), and they had a lot in common. He said this wasn't fair to me and that our relationship just wasn't the same anymore so he wanted to break up. Weird how he didn't feel like this until this other woman came along but oh well. I wouldn't say he *cheated* but who knows. It sounds like he had a strong emotional connection with her even while we were still together so that kind of sucks.

I was obviously heart broken and angry, I tried to fight for him to stay but that didn't work. At first he wanted to stay with me but then he realized it would be 'better' for both of us to break up. He started dating the female friend not long after this happened (maybe a month or so) which made me realize and accept that he wanted to be with her over me, and there was no longer anything I could do.

He texted me like a week after our break up which just turned into a huge fight back and forth and I didn't want to deal with that so I just ignored him.

Another 3-4 weeks goes by and a few nights ago I again receive another text from him with a "I just wanted to see how you're doing" Out of immaturity and anger I replied with "If you love your new girlfriend so much then don't be contacting me" which he replied with something like "I do love her, but you know I'll always care about you" He also told me "Nobody could ever replace you, you'll always have a place in my heart, we both just needed to move on" And "I still have all of our pictures in my phone and still look at them and smile/cry".

my questions are basically...what in the world is going on here? Lol. I don't understand what he is doing/how he's feeling. He's never told me he's still in love with me, or that he wants to get back with me, just that he's sorry for hurting me, he still has unresolved feelings, he still cares about me, etc. He also still wants to be 'friends' but that just sounds like an emotional disaster waiting to happen. I'm mad that he's now seeing and sleeping with someone else and don't want to be reminded of that everyday, I still have feelings for him.

He is not a bad guy, but this is really frustrating me and confusing me, which just turned into more emotional arguments with him, not understanding what he's trying to get at, and after a while I just stopped replying. We haven't talked since.

He is very upset that I'm so upset and thinks I hate him, but what the hell does he expect? I do not know what in the world he expects from me/wants me to do.

1. He's the one who broke up with me, moved on with someone else, so why does he feel the need to contact me saying he's sorry and telling me he still cares? Does he actually feel this way? Or is he just trying to be nice and try and make me feel better? This is the second time he's contacted me telling me these things.

2. If he still cares and feels this way, why did he break up with me? Why has he moved on if he still has feelings for me? He seems really happy with her. I don't understand.

Any advice/opinions/input anything at all would help me out because I'm lost.

Thanks, Melissa
He feels guilty and wants to know you're okay, to make himself feel better about hurting you. He probably does still care about you or he wouldn't feel so sorry for hurting you, but that doesn't mean he still wants to be with you. His feelings for you are probably platonic and non-romantic. Being friends is definitely not a good idea since you are not yet over him, but from his perspective, it would make him feel less guilty. What he wants is for you to move on, like he has, so he no longer has to feel bad about hurting you, but unfortunately that can only happen with time and distance.

Drop the attitude with him and just say something like, "Look, I know you feel bad about hurting me and want to make sure I'm okay, but every time you talk to me, it just hurts me more. I need time and space away from you to heal. Please, just leave me alone. If and when I'm ever in a place where we can be friends, I'll get in touch."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 01:28 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,437,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
He feels guilty and wants to know you're okay, to make himself feel better about hurting you. He probably does still care about you or he wouldn't feel so sorry for hurting you, but that doesn't mean he still wants to be with you. His feelings for you are probably platonic and non-romantic. Being friends is definitely not a good idea since you are not yet over him, but from his perspective, it would make him feel less guilty. What he wants is for you to move on, like he has, so he no longer has to feel bad about hurting you, but unfortunately that can only happen with time and distance.

Drop the attitude with him and just say something like, "Look, I know you feel bad about hurting me and want to make sure I'm okay, but every time you talk to me, it just hurts me more. I need time and space away from you to heal. Please, just leave me alone. If and when I'm ever in a place where we can be friends, I'll get in touch."
I think this is a really good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships