Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 04:39 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,986 times

Advertisements

Once again, I chose to keep my options open and try online dating.

I hadn't used an online dating website since 2014 after a bunch of major failures, so I was a bit wary when going back.

I met a fairly decent guy and we've been talking for about a week now. We have more than a lot in common and he's quite attractive, but something about him makes me uncomfortable because he seem "clingy".

Here are a few examples:

- He sends me a message in the morning and at night as soon as he's off work.

I don't have much time to reply both in the morning and at night, just to talk about my life. It's time consuming. His messages look like letter. He also wanted to give me his phone number, but I have a feeling he'd text me all day. I can't afford to lose concentration during day time over trivial chit chat.

- He stated XYZ as his city on his profile. After a few messages, he admitted he actually works in the city two days a week and spends the rest of his week in another city where he actually lives.

- He sent me a message saying "I thought about you all day". It's nice and all, but we haven't met up yet. He may have crossed my mind once, but that's about it. This part really freaked me out.

- He started asking me stuff about romance (as in literally asking me "do you like romance?"), whether or not I like flowers, walks along the beach blah blah blah. The whole smooth talker deal.

- He sometimes says stuff like: I'm afraid you'd be mad at me or I couldn't sleep because I thought you were mad at me.

Dude, we don't even know each other, so calm down.

He's a lawyer, so either he's super naive or a major player. He reminds me a bit of myself 4 years ago when I was inexperienced and I acted the exact same way towards another guy (except I never told him, I thought of you all day, or asked him about romance or even asked him if he was mad at me though it crossed my mind). I was extremely insecure at the time, so he definitely reminds me of the person I was then.

Regardless of whether or not he's a player, he seems like the clingy type. I want to meet someone but not the kind who would text me all day everyday and get scared I'm mad at them if I don't respond. I need my freedom. I can't deal with someone's insecurities.

He definitely seems like the type who would drain my energy fairly quickly.

He suggested dinner next week, but I opted for an art gallery visit because dinner is cliche. Now, his behavior is making me question whether or not I should meet up with him? I don't want to waste my time to be honest. If anything, I'm a satisfied single, but I wanted to keep my options open because you never know!

Should I drop him and cancel our date altogether? We have a lot in common, but I'm afraid I'm walking down a sloppery path with this guy who may prove to be either a player or overly clingy. I haven't been tried dating in two years, so I really don't want to end up in a messy situation again after all the work I did on myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 04:44 PM

He just sent me a message saying: (because I haven't replied to the message he sent me yesterday at 11pm)

'I don't want to be disrespectful to you so please give me the same respect. Are you moving on from me? I don't mind but please be honest me with me; like I would be with you. Let me know either way. thanks.'

This is what I got. Lord. He needs to seriously calm down.

I have a life, damn. I may read the message but not reply right away. Lord, I have other stuff going on. What's wrong with him? If he were a lawyer, he'd understand!

How do I let him down gently? He's already suffucating me. I don't want to disappear because he'll annoy me, so I want to cut him off in a straight forward manner.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 04-22-2016 at 05:00 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 04:47 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Just tell him you don't think the 2 of you are compatible. Which is simple and true. If he asks for clarification, just say he seems to want more attention and time than what you are ok with right now.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:51 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Honestly, only you can really process this information and decide what's best for YOU.

I think other people's opinions are just going to mess with your head and confuse you.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Honestly, only you can really process this information and decide what's best for YOU.

I think other people's opinions are just going to mess with your head and confuse you.
Yeah, but from an external point of view, he sounds toxic/stage A clinger right? He might very well be a nice fella, but these are red flags one needs to be aware of. This is definitely the kind of guy who would be so possessive as to make you suffocate.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:57 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Jumping the gun too fast.

Chew on that for a second.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
You've already talked yourself out of going with him...no big deal...nothing lost.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:08 PM

I haven't really talked myself out of itm but I'm asking for an external opinion. Are these red flags? It seems like they are.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:16 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Out in the country it's called giving him the gate.
In other words, cull him.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:19 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
If he is making you feel uncomfortable, I would say that is a red flag. Listen to your gut.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships