Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is just me or what, but it seems that in many relationships, I've spent copious amounts of time and energy telling my SO what I need in order to feel safe and happy - and then he doesn't do it. After a while, I make myself care less and less until I finally leave. At that point, they want to offer me the world, including everything they were deliberately withholding up to then! I don't get it. Why do men who supposedly "love" me ignore my requests until the last second when they're suddenly afraid of losing me? Sorry, I've already got one foot out the door by then! Has anyone else experienced this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 08:03 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
we are stupid like that

Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,192 times
Because they don't love you if they do that. If they loved you, they'd care what you think and want along the way. The situation you describe is when they need you, not when they love you.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
IMHO a relationship is not a non stop compliance plan.
my function in life is not to orbit around somebody else.
i am not responsible for some else's happiness.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 PM

155 posts, read 558,689 times
I don't know, but my boyfriend did the same thing. Guess the saying "you don't realize what you have till it's gone" is somewhat true..lol. It is quite annoying though. It's like..how many times do I have to say this to you, yet, when I give up on you, NOW you want to act right...?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I am going through that right now.
After many many months of saying that I'm not happy, and explaining why, I've finally just about had it. Now he is a "changed man," but I'm not sure my heart is in this anymore.
I don't think they really change at the end though...I think they say they have or will, but once they know you aren't going anywhere, they go back to how they were. It's unfair...either change, or say you won't/can't...be honest in what you are willing and able to do.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 PM

Yeah, it's only common sense. I mean, either you are this person I want or you're not. And if you want to be then it shouldn't be that difficult.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:22 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I don't know if this is just me or what, but it seems that in many relationships, I've spent copious amounts of time and energy telling my SO what I need in order to feel safe and happy - and then he doesn't do it. After a while, I make myself care less and less until I finally leave. At that point, they want to offer me the world, including everything they were deliberately withholding up to then! I don't get it. Why do men who supposedly "love" me ignore my requests until the last second when they're suddenly afraid of losing me? Sorry, I've already got one foot out the door by then! Has anyone else experienced this?
First of all, you should ask yourself why you 'need' someone else to make you feel safe and happy. Granted, no one should ever be made to feel unsafe, physically, in a relationship, but the only one responsible for your happiness is you, no one else. That's just too much of a burden to lay on anyone.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
First of all, you should ask yourself why you 'need' someone else to make you feel safe and happy. Granted, no one should ever be made to feel unsafe, physically, in a relationship, but the only one responsible for your happiness is you, no one else. That's just too much of a burden to lay on anyone.
It's not about "needing" someone to make you happy. You can't be an ******* in the relationship and expect me to go "tra-la-la" I'm happy and content and everything is perfect. People are different and there is nothing wrong with expecting things out of a relationship. I'm pretty sure that before the relationship was actually going on, that he knew what kind of person she was. If he didn't think that he could do the things that were required of him, then he should have never gotten into it in the first place. And sad to say, while yes, you can make yourself happy, it IS possible for other people to make you happy too. If you don't smile and feel joy when your significant other does something for you unexpectedly, or does something romantic and silly all in the name of love for you, then I'm sorry, you're one in a million.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 PM

308 posts, read 744,451 times
In the 80's-- Cinderella sang it best...."You don't know what you got, til it's gone"

on the flip side: Garth Brooks with "Unanswered Prayers"

etc.
etc.
etc.

Life is like a box of chocolates!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships