Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:18 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times

Advertisements

Wear what you want. It's not like you're parading naked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 12:35 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Wear what you want. It's not like you're parading naked
She could if she wanted to, but she knows what the results would be for her realtionship lol

Again, like so many of these threads.
The solution isnt based in a "control issues" its more of a respect issue hurting things.
How you both come to an understanding on respecting each other's values and beliefs is by dropping the need to accuse and shame one another, That's doing no good to the actual issue and creating an even larger bubble of conflict

actually take a moment and stop yourselves from acting emotionally and learn where the issue is coming from by examining how your partner thinks. You may not "like" or agree with them and they may not like or agree with you, but do not discredit they way of being just becuase of these differences.

That's who they are, it's gets no more simple than this.

Accept the differences and move forward knowing that's the factors you both have to work with. You have your pieces, now figure out how to play with them so each of you comes away with solution that considers the others feelings.

If you (or them) are unwilling to play and unwilling to accept your differences, you're allowing conflict to exist. Willingly exist in spite of common knowledge you both have of each other's way of being.

I can't answer what's right "for you" in his situation, that's for you to work through with your partner in your own attempts to find what is right for the both of you given your differences and desire to make things work.

Last edited by rego00123; 04-18-2016 at 12:55 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 11:42 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Wear what you want. I can't stand people that try to control others.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:59 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicacazacopol View Post
He is a Middle eastern Muslim!
Hahaha, well ... .There is your answer.

You cannot negotiate his culture out of him.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:36 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
He actually sounds fairly tolerant, given his background.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:40 PM

Reminds me of the movie "not without my daughter"

Old 04-18-2016, 01:00 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Your boyfriend should not be telling you what to wear. I don't care what his background is. This isn't Afghanistan and he's not the dang Taliban. If he wants to control a woman that way, let him go live where women sweat their butts off in burqas all summer.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:31 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
You are caught up between that thin line of expressing yourself as a woman and respecting your man and knowing your place beside him. If an outfit matters that much, what is worth more to you in the long run..? @20, there is much to learn yet about one's self. So if you are not ready to act (i.e dress) like the type of woman this particular man expects from his potential wife, then be honest about it. Do you fit that bill... ? Better yet, does he fit yours ? Nothing inherently *wrong* with a tank top or skirt, but try to look at the big picture here...

Old 04-18-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicacazacopol View Post
Hey everyone!
So I've been dating my boyfriend for about 5 years now and were both 20 years old. We have always had an issue when it comes to me wearing a tank top in public or skirts that are a little above my knees. I'm not sure if I should just let this slide or not ( I haven't argued it yet but I feel like maybe I should). I don't ever show cleavage or anything just because I do like to be modest but it does get really hot in California during the summer time. I don't ever wear short shorts I never have, normally ill wear a skirt and try to make it look classy. Should I respect what he says and just wear pants or long skirts all summer or is this something that he is wrong for and should let go? Please be honest I respect all comments!!
We are not talking about a guy not wanting his gf to dress sexy.

He wants her to wear LONG PANTS or LONG SKIRTS only. Not even shorts. No tank top.

That plus his background is beyond "what is it worth more to please your bf ..."

OP, what does he say if you go to the beach in a bikini? Are you "allowed" to go out with your girlfriends at night?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:34 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Don't EVER let a guy tell you what do wear. This is controlling and abusive.

Wear what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships