Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:29 PM

146 posts, read 121,151 times

Advertisements

it seems like in today's age people are going with the logic that relationships should be about caring for each other and not men being the bread winner or head provider. many young men today seem to agree with it and not want to take care of a woman financially but feel she should at least work to pay half of the rent. although many men i have spoken to say they don't mind taking care of their gf\wife (in my experience some of those men are all talk). some women also say they dont need a man to take care of them, but some women i met feel like a man should give them things/money if they care about them because according to how they were raised, that is what a man should do if he loves his gf\wife.

but what do you say ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 08:40 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,017,402 times
I say that people should be doing whatever the heck they want in their own relationships and not worry about what others are doing.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Nothing is 50/50 all the time. Couples should take care of each others' needs in ways that are right for them. Every couple will have a different balance, and it will change many times over their lifetime together.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Do what works for you.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,195,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I say that people should be doing whatever the heck they want in their own relationships and not worry about what others are doing.
This. There is no should or shouldn't. And people who think in those terms are close-minded. There is a "What I prefer", in which case then it's about being able to find a partner that wants similar things, and is of similar beliefs.

Some people want traditional relationships
Some want more liberal relationships
And some may want something more nonconformist relationships lol

Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
I know couples where both people work, and I know couples with one income earner, and one stay at home spouse.

What I think is that if they are doing what is best for them as a couple, and as individuals, then they are doing it right. No matter which way they are going.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
Girls are not raised thinking they need a man to take care of them. You never know how relationships are going to turn out. Sometimes the woman falls into a great paying job and rather than hiring someone to take care of the kids the husband has to stay home. Women have much better opportunities these days and most will take advantage of a great job.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:56 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,228,383 times
From my point of view, the relationship should simply be mutual. A big thing to remember is no two people, no matter how happy they are together, are going to be on the same page all of the time. This is why talking about some issues early on is important. A big thing is a balance of distance and closeness, a topic that went undiscussed in my last relationship and was a big part of why it ended.

In terms of finances, that's again something that's kind of person specific. I think that if one person makes enough to financially support both people, great. I don't necessarily think it matters if it's a man or a woman. However, the person who isn't making money should still contribute in some other way. As to what that is would be dependent on specific times and different with different people. That might be cooking and cleaning, but it could also be other things.

My ideal relationship would involve both people making money though and then paying for rent and other bills together and just splitting up things like cooking and cleaning between the two so both people are involved and contributing. But again, it's person specific. If I was dating someone who loved cooking, I'd let them handle that and make up for not doing that else where.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:23 PM

146 posts, read 121,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Girls are not raised thinking they need a man to take care of them. You never know how relationships are going to turn out. Sometimes the woman falls into a great paying job and rather than hiring someone to take care of the kids the husband has to stay home. Women have much better opportunities these days and most will take advantage of a great job.
no, some girls are raised that why, as a matter of face, many women are still raised that way.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Nothing ever works out exactly 50/50 in any regard, but both partners should pull their weight as much as they possibly can in this as well as all other aspects of the relationship, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships