Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 11:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

It isn't about the cat...the cat issue can be solved via compromise, if both desire to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 11:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wondered about that, too. Maybe in order to qualify for the loan, she needed to add him, for their combined income? She said she didn't make much at the time. The situation isn't clear.
If that is the case then she could not afford the home and should have waited and this is purely my opinion which means nothing to anyone but me.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:10 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If that is the case then she could not afford the home and should have waited and this is purely my opinion which means nothing to anyone but me.
lol! Do you think you have enough disclaimers in that sentence, CSD? I guess you can never have enough on a forum like CD-R.

It would be nice to get some feedback and more info from the OP.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:57 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Get the cat fixed if it is not, This solves "most" issues with female spraying. It's next to impossible to get them to stop once they have started marking areas of your home they will continue to do so until you change the pattern. It's not going to be an easy fix and require a lot of personal attention to correct your cats behavior

Your issues are deeper than just the cat, if you haven't totally given up yet in your mind consult a couples therapist

Last edited by rego00123; 04-27-2016 at 01:20 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 01:57 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
First, make sure there is nothing physically wrong with the cat.

Second, make sure there is nothing mentally wrong with the cat. Like, is it being bullied by the other two? If it's not spayed or neutered, for the love of all that is holy, get it fixed.

Third, if nothing is wrong with the cat, keep the cat in only one or two rooms. The cat does not have to have free run of the place. This is not to say the cat should have no human contact. Your husband, who apparently doesn't mind living with the smell of cat pee, can go play with the cat in those rooms. You know, because he has to go in there to clean up the cat pee, anyway, right? He IS cleaning up after the cat, yes? Oh, and when the cat eventually passes, he's the one who is going to pay to have the carpet and padding torn out and replaced, and he's the one who is going to paint and refinish whatever the cat has destroyed, right? His cat, his responsibility.

Fourth, I'm just going to come out and say it: You'll both outlive the cat. It's up to you whether your marriage does. Personally--and I am so very loathe to say this--but the smell alone would have me asking him to rehome the cat. The smell of cat pee makes me gag. There might be a local with a barn who needs a mouser or something, where the cat peeing all over creation wouldn't matter so much.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Yeah, I don't get why "limit the cat's free access to any and everywhere in the house and confine it to rooms where the least amount of damage can be done" is being interpreted as "deprive the cat of human contact."

There are compromises possible, here. I doubt that the couple in question is really seeking too hard for them, though.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, I don't get why "limit the cat's free access to any and everywhere in the house and confine it to rooms where the least amount of damage can be done" is being interpreted as "deprive the cat of human contact."

There are compromises possible, here. I doubt that the couple in question is really seeking too hard for them, though.
I have a bird. Birds poop, when they want to, where they want to, end of story. So I have towels around the base of his cage (his door is only closed when I'm not home or when it's time for bed, so he's always sitting on the door or pooping off the roof), and I put bird blankets and towels on the furniture when he's going to be out there watching TV and hanging out with me. Once he poops a few times on them, they go in the wash.

I know cat pee is a bit different, but if they decide to keep the cat in a couple of rooms, maybe they can put drop-cloths down over plastic liners (like shower curtain liners) or something to protect the carpet or flooring. The husband can launder the drop cloths and replace the liners as necessary. If he really loves the cat, he'd be thinking of creative solutions to keep the cat without ruining the house, vs taking the attitude that his cat should be able to stink the joint up like a case of corked Sauvignon Blanc.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:22 PM

BTW, I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but maybe the OP can ask about this on the Pet forum, in the Cat section. Surely other people have dealt with peeing cats.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:46 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
If that car were peeing in my house my spouse would come home one day and it would be gone. If they didn't like it they can decide to put the cat over me - that only proves they have serious priority issues.

BTW you might want to lock the offending beast in a room at night

Old 04-27-2016, 02:49 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Why are you fighting over something that can be fixed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships