Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 11:50 PM

69 posts, read 92,445 times

Advertisements

"She lives from paycheck to paycheck and has 50 dollars only in her bank account right now."

Dude- on that ALONE you should put off marrying her. How is she even supporting herself?

Ask if she would take a financial literacy/planning course with you. Maybe she is clueless but willing to learn. Then wait and watch for a half year or year and see if she can handle her own money.

Premarital counseling before engagement would be good too (I know...BEFORE engagement? Yep - sounds totally unromantic, put much less so than a prenup...and if there's no ring and a date, then it much less messy to part ways if you discover this is a bad idea). The counseling can cover a lot of areas of marriage, including views on marital roles and the handling of finances).

Think about this...even if she signed a prenup, that doesn't mean she'll be delightful in handling marital finances with you. No fun coming home to find out she's not been paying the mortgage for six months and you're being foreclosed on. Divorce with or without a prenup won't solve that, nor does a prenup mean you won't be fighting in front of the children about money and then divorcing and breaking up a family.

Counseling and lots of it-not a prenup.

BTW - Not to diss your gal, but she sounds a bit immature to me (the ultimatum, "not bringing kids into it," etc.) Do you really want to deal with this until you die? You you really want this woman to be the hypothetical mother to your hypothetical children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 02:06 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Do NOT get married OP. If you really want to hang yourself that badly, go buy some rope. It's much cheaper.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:29 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
Well I thought maybe a pre-nup would be just as important as counseling, now that you mention it. Well I guess I feel like maybe I am putting too much weight on the prenup. It was said earlier that I shouldn't get a prenup, cause I am being too self entitled, like I have a lot of money, when I don't.

Am I being too self entitled? If your fiance said that they would not sign one, would that be enough of a reason for you to leave your fiance, or am I being too self entitled?

I guess it's also hard for me to accept cause the relationship is really great, other than this one problem that came up. I feel like maybe I am being too picky, constantly waiting for ms. perfect, when their is no ms. perfect.

Heck, people I know marry spouses with flaws too, so I feel like I may be being too picky, when one loves someone.

Last edited by ironpony; 05-02-2016 at 02:42 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 05:42 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
You two definitely need counseling. The idea of the prenup and her reaction to it made that clear.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:05 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
So if I only have 200K, you are saying that I should not want to protect some of it, and that I am being too 'self-righteous' for doing so?

Why are prenups only for rich people?
Because pre-marital assets don't count in pre-nups. Furthermore, if you're going to buy a house for your FAMILY, that includes your wife. Selfish of you to want to buy a house and then move her in like she's a tenant. That is not marriage. That is a business arrangement, and you are dooming your marriage to failure right off the bat.

You are not ready for marriage at all, and no, it is not a great relationship. If anything, you need some counseling to figure out why you think it's appropriate to start talking marriage with someone you barely even know, and why you have this paranoia that every woman is out to get your little $200K. It's NOT a lot of money by any stretch of the imagination. One kid and it's gone--to the kid, for college tuition. End of story, end of discussion.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 2,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
I think people make way too big a deal out of a pre nup. My husband and I both signed them, for different reasons. And neither one of us was throwing up about it. Having kids should have nothing to do with this, if you split up it wouldn't affect child support etc. It's protecting your assets, should something happen down the road, that is all. I wouldn't marry her. Sounds like a lot of drama, throwing up, saying won't have kids, etc etc. I have quite a few men friends who have been taken to the cleaners in a divorce. Everyone says that would never be them, that they would always be reasonable, but that is so not the case a lot of the time.
I agree

Old 05-02-2016, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 2,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Good thing she showed her true colors early on.

Any woman who refuses to sign a prenup is basically saying they expect not to have to earn their own keep.
i guess you forgot to right down "any woman or man" , instead of any woman?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I thought maybe a pre-nup would be just as important as counseling, now that you mention it. Well I guess I feel like maybe I am putting too much weight on the prenup. It was said earlier that I shouldn't get a prenup, cause I am being too self entitled, like I have a lot of money, when I don't.

Am I being too self entitled? If your fiance said that they would not sign one, would that be enough of a reason for you to leave your fiance, or am I being too self entitled?

I guess it's also hard for me to accept cause the relationship is really great, other than this one problem that came up. I feel like maybe I am being too picky, constantly waiting for ms. perfect, when their is no ms. perfect.

Heck, people I know marry spouses with flaws too, so I feel like I may be being too picky, when one loves someone.
Are you sure this is the woman that you want to spend everyday for the rest of your life with? Besides the prenup - it just doesn't sound like you are really sure about her. If you aren't sure about her - why do you want to marry her?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I someone putting pressure on you to get married? This is your second or third fiancee in 6 months.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Are you sure this is the woman that you want to spend everyday for the rest of your life with? Besides the prenup - it just doesn't sound like you are really sure about her. If you aren't sure about her - why do you want to marry her?
Yep. It goes back to the question that no one seems to be willing or able to answer. What do people who feel the need to protect themselves from their future spouses want to get married for in the first place? What benefits would marriage confer on them that simply living together would not, in this day and age with all the partner benefits, powers of attorney, and other documentation that would give a live-in partner the same legal rights and benefits as a spouse?

Maybe I missed it, but I have yet to see anyone answer that question, on this thread or the other. There is no law saying one has to marry. So why marry at all, then? What's the big deal? If the pre-nup is just a piece of paper they really don't think they'll need, then why isn't a marriage license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I someone putting pressure on you to get married? This is your second or third fiancee in 6 months.
One wonders, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships