Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:21 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,811,300 times

Advertisements

So a guy friend of mine had a first date this past Friday with a girl he met off a dating app. He said the date went well, she was attractive and they had good conversation. They went for drinks at a bar, so when they were getting ready to leave my friend went to pay for his and her drinks with a credit card, but the place was cash only (the girl had picked place, and never told him it was cash only). So when the bartender told him they don't take cards he said "oh ok I have to get cash" luckily there was an ATM at the place, but this whole thing happened in front of the girl and she had not said a word, not even a "oh do you need some cash"? My friend said he wouldn't have let her pay, but given the situation she should've at least offered something.

Anyway as a result of this he said he wouldn't be seeing her again, which I think is a bit drastic especially if he was into her up until this happened. I personally don't think it was that big of a deal, I mean who knows maybe she didn't have cash on her so she didn't want to say anything. Anyways just wanted to know how many guys would be turned off in that situation? Would it prevent you from asking her out again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:53 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Depends.

If the guy was the one that invited the girl out, then it's his responsibility to take care of all financial transactions.

You should always be prepared for all possibilities on dates, and that includes carrying cash as well as credit cards.

Maybe it would have been courteous to at least ask, but that's an awkward situation for the girl, can't really blame her for not responding.

I wouldn't not go on further dates based on this one incident alone.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:58 PM

264 posts, read 183,271 times
I'm failing to see the issue at all. I would have appreciated her not offering cash as it would have just added to the awkwardness. Hope that guy enjoys being single cause if that's a deal breaker nobody will ever be good enough.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Depends.

If the guy was the one that invited the girl out, then it's his responsibility to take care of all financial transactions.

You should always be prepared for all possibilities on dates, and that includes carrying cash as well as credit cards.

Maybe it would have been courteous to at least ask, but that's an awkward situation for the girl, can't really blame her for not responding.

I wouldn't not go on further dates based on this one incident alone.
Yea he said he would've paid even if she offered, but the fact that she didn't say anything is what bothered him. I agree with you though, I think it was an awkward situation and she probably didn't know what to say. I've been to this particular place he went to and drinks are pretty cheap there, so he must've really had not a penny on him, which is probably not too smart when going on a date.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
I'm failing to see the issue at all. I would have appreciated her not offering cash as it would have just added to the awkwardness. Hope that guy enjoys being single cause if that's a deal breaker nobody will ever be good enough.
I advised him to let it go and ask her out again, especially since it's not like he's got an array of woman waiting for him in the wings.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:03 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Not a big deal, imo. I always carry enough cash whenever I'm out on a date.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:06 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
If anything I would have been turned off that he didn't come prepared especially since it wasn't an expensive place.

Out on a date especially a first date, I'm not offering to pay anything and any guy that gets upset about that is not a guy I want to be with anyway.

Her offering to pay wouldn't have changed the situation but it would have made him look worse than he already did. He might not have to worry about being interested in her as she may no longer be interested in him, I wouldn't.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:08 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I advised him to let it go and ask her out again, especially since it's not like he's got an array of woman waiting for him in the wings.
Yea I'm sure he'll ask her out again.

No offense, but some guys are sometimes overly sensitive and over analyze certain situations and make it out to be worse than it actually is. I admit I am like that sometimes. We'll look back and wonder, why didn't this person say this or do that.

It was an awkward situation for the girl and put her on the spot, so no need for him to hold it against her for this one incident.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
If anything I would have been turned off that he didn't come prepared especially since it wasn't an expensive place.

Out on a date especially a first date, I'm not offering to pay anything and any guy that gets upset about that is not a guy I want to be with anyway.

Her offering to pay wouldn't have changed the situation but it would have made him look worse than he already did. He might not have to worry about being interested in her as she may no longer be interested in him, I wouldn't.
Haha same here!

Old 05-01-2016, 04:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Yea he said he would've paid even if she offered, but the fact that she didn't say anything is what bothered him.
^ This ^ just sounds like a test or something.

I have a feeling on closer inspection he decided he wasn't as wild about her as he'd hoped to be so he's using this awkward situation (how could she have "won" here? He says he didn't want her to pay anyway...how far should she have pushed...would that just have made him feel more uncomfortable...etc.) as his excuse not to ask her out again.

I think if he had been nuts about her he wouldn't have given it all a second thought.

Just my thoughts, I don't know this person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships