Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilusk90 View Post

And no, we don't snuggle at all because she hates physical closeness and she didn't even like to cuddle with her boyfriend.
Quote:
She doesn't like too much physical closeness, even in a relationship.
This ^^^ has to be concerning, especially to someone who has romantic feelings about her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:58 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
What, specifically, do you hope to gain by telling her how you feel?
Despite what he says about there being zero chance of a positive reaction, he really thinks there is a chance she is into him.

@OP... save what little self respect you have remaining and tell her that you can not be her friend anymore because you are attracted to her. Telling her and letting her decide what to do will just result in further destruction of your mental health.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Seems to be several of these types of thread lately.

A general word of advice to guys.

If you really like a girl, never ever get into the 'friend zone.' It is the kiss of death usually.

The thought that pouring your heart out to a girl will somehow make her 'love' you, happens only in sappy romantic novels and the movies.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Despite what he says about there being zero chance of a positive reaction, he really thinks there is a chance she is into him.
You hit the nail on the head. He knows she's not into him, but he still hopes she is.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:03 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,477 times
1. Get her drunk
2. Say: "I bet I could beat you at wrestling"
3. Profit

Don't confess your love or anything. It's romantic to you, but it's probably pathetic, if not creepy, from the girl's perspective.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Probably too late, the OP most likely already made up his mind and will pour out his heart to the girl (if not already).

Like I always say, people who have 'relationship' issues and questions, come here not so much for true advice, but more to vent out and seek those who agree with their line of thought.

Hence, people can tell guys like the OP to let it go, don't do it, etc., until they are blue in the face, but won't change the OP's mind.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:29 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,416 times
Staying in friends level meanwhile suffering is not a good deal either. Unrequited love eats a person in the long run more than old good cold slap. If she or he does not get a slap-disease which would mean she or he would take sadistic advantage of reminding why wooer is not good enough and why relationship is not possible.

Of course wooer should not become vengeful either for being rejected.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:21 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,614 times
Quote:
I tried that many times. As an example: We went to Paris last year and I prepared a table in a nice restaurant, bought a small gift for her and tickets for a really expensive musical show with champagne and all the stuff as a surprise. To be honest it was nothing a normal friend would do, it was more like something that you would do when you want to ask her if she wants to marry you. So it must have been kinda obvious what I was trying to tell her and I told myself that I will stop after this weekend if I still get no respond. I mean she is absolutely not the romantic type of girl and probably pretty "blind" in this regard, but at least I made it super easy for her to make a step if she wanted.

Anyways, I was obviously not able to stop.

I also tried to just treat her normally, just like a friend. Not looking too much at her, not compliment her, not making gifts, overall less attention for her. It just made me feel worse and in an extreme way so I couldn't stand this for a single day every time I tried. I rather keep trying than forcing me to stop, because it hurts much more at the moment.

Withdraw from this friendship is not an option. I value her way too much as a friend and I still would after a 'no'. Beside of that a 'no' would not make me mad about her, because I have already accepted this answer (at least I think so) since I think it is almost certain...
What you interpret as romantic, might be interpreted as just being nice by the other person. I know in the above situation, my younger self would have just thought "isn't he a good friend. I must do something nice for him next time". Unless you actually admit to having feelings for me, I would interpret everything as just being friendly. Your friend might think like me.

As for sharing a room/bed, it's not really a big deal between friends. Hell, i'ld sleep in the same bed as my male friends & not expect anything to happen because they are like brothers to me.

Like others have said, friend zone is a killer. You can tell her how you feel, but do so with the expectation that she won't feel the same way & things will be awkward between the 2 of you for a while. In fact, you might lose a friend.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:42 AM

17 posts, read 13,481 times
Thanks for all the replies so far, helps a lot to hear all your opinions.

Some statements / clarifications:

- Regarding her dislike of physical closeness: I am 100% not the guy who would ever try to touch her to get her into bed or something like that. That never happened and never will and she knows that. I know her very well and it is a real "problem" she has and already had in the past with her boyfriends. It's not just to keep me away.
- Confessing my love to her is not about being romantic or about the hope that she says yes. Of course that would be the best thing in my life, but realistically I think I know her well enough to say that my chances are like 1:1.000.000 and I am okay with that. I already had enough time to accept this as good as possible so I am prepared for a 'no'.

Even tho I am certain that it will be a 'no' there is always this 0.1% chance that drives me insane for stupid reasons... And if she finds a new boyfriend it would be unbearable for me if I couldn't say that I truly did everything I could.

I just don't see any other escape from this. I tried to tell myself plenty times to accept what I already know and it didn't work. And withdrawing from this friendship without giving a reason sounds unfair to me. I wouldn't want this if it were the other way around and I am pretty sure that she would not end this friendship because of that. I mean I did not steal from her or killed her grandma, right? I just fell in love and know that she probably doesn't feel the same and just want to get some weight off my shoulders and that is exactly what I want to tell her.

I'm not planning to force her into a "romantic situation" to tell her my feelings in hope of a Hollywood like miracle. What I would do is to tell her in a relaxed (at least for her) situation what I feel, that I know that she probably doesn't feel the same but that I just can't move forward without being honest to her, because she already knows that something is depressing me since it's hard to completly hide it from her every single day.

Last edited by Ilusk90; 05-03-2016 at 04:58 AM..

Old 05-03-2016, 05:39 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships