Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
Honestly, the Bipolar part would have me running. Borderline Personality Disorder destroyed my marriage and now my kids have a mom that is not completely reliable and can't handle having my teenage son at all and can only handle our younger daughters for about 36 hours before problems start. Serious mental health issues are brutal and while it sounds mean to say, I would stay away for your own sake and for any future children.
Bipolar is very different from Borderline, especially Bipolar Type 2. My wife is the latter and while occasional episodes can be somewhat uncomfortable at times and their durations are shorter and less intense. For me, running would have been tantamount to throwing the baby out with the bath water.

As to the matter at hand, OP, I'd give it time to see how it plays out, or not. But that only works if you care enough to take the chance and be patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 12:52 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times
run.

long distance almost never works and that's when things are going well and someone moves for a job or something.
and this is people fighting and one running away to get away from you.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
If she needs the time, give it to her.

You have to believe she is not coming back. I'd say the odds are heavily weighted against you. I would also suggest you think hard to determine if the two of you together really constitutes a healthy relationship, considering the issues each of you have.

By the way, I applaud your efforts to seek therapy for anger management. What has/is she doing to address her BPD?

It's time to move on. If she really wanted to work things out, she would make more of a commitment to her return as you work through your anger issues, but it sounds like she is content to run away from trouble. Something to keep in mind if you continue talking to her.

Probably a good idea to start the search again...
She was diagnosed bipolar 2 before her 20s and shes 27 now so shes dealt with it for a while and sees a psychologist every few months. The problem is her psychologist is in TN and also her regular therapist.

And thank you, Im trying to improve myself not just for her but for myself and any future relationships if thats the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I know this isn't what the OP wants to do, but he needs to cut all losses and run.

I say that because threads like these are less for 'advice' and more for venting and seeking moral support for wanting to continue with their relationship. That's because these people are in a cloud of hurt and emotional distress and cannot think clearly what the best option is for them.

There are so many issues with this relationship that clearly the best thing to do is to have self respect and move on to something a lot more healthy.

It's never a good feeling or good thing when you are the one being dumped. You suddenly lost that power. So when you basically grovel and beg for the other person to come back, it makes you look weak. And if the other person does come back, what makes you think they won't do it again? They certainly will never respect you again deep down inside.

And this lady has other issues including the bipolar thing. Another volatile problem.

When you're going to therapy to deal with anger problems and getting into arguments that blow up out of proportion, that is not a healthy relationship at all.

Why would you want to play along with the mind games this woman is playing? Long distance 'relationship?'

Come on guy, I know you're in a world of hurt now and can't think clearly, but hopefully in the long run you'll eventually see that no person is worth sacrificing your dignity and self respect for in order to maintain the illusion of a 'relationship.'
Thank you. What youre saying is exactly what I'm feeling. As bad as a few arguments have been, it hurts me more having to try to keep a relationship when Im not really having that person to spend time with every day, eat with, go out with, etc
She doesnt think 6 months or a year is a long time. Im 30 and I know it is a long time, to be alone and not have the everyday adventures you can have with a BF/GF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Bipolar is very different from Borderline, especially Bipolar Type 2. My wife is the latter and while occasional episodes can be somewhat uncomfortable at times and their durations are shorter and less intense. For me, running would have been tantamount to throwing the baby out with the bath water.

As to the matter at hand, OP, I'd give it time to see how it plays out, or not. But that only works if you care enough to take the chance and be patient.
I agree, the bipolar 2 thing hasnt really been an issue with me and how we normally live our lives other than the occasional, moreso rare episodes. I just know that when she gets really upset, it makes her feel very anxious and she said she felt trapped with being in something unhealthy. So Im still not sure if anyone else would have tried before leaving or if this was going to happen regardless?

Well, today I'm driving through TN, kinda out of my way but Ill be killing two birds, giving her the rest of her stuff she left, and also seeing her again whether it be the last time or one of many. I'm going to try to talk to her again.
I know someone said I should have dignity and not beg but I'm going to lay out again what I want, what I'm willing to do (we both need to make improvements) and if she doesn't want to come back, I need to, painfully, let her know that I dont want a long distance thing.

Funny thing is, this AZ stint is temporary and wasnt going to last more than until this October, plans were to get established in the company, which Ive now done, then move permanently either back home or to our new Headquarters, 1/3rd of the distance to TN than AZ with more money and frequent trips to visit family or even maybe move to a regional office, which is in TN...

I'll keep you posted

Old 06-02-2016, 04:28 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
move on. long distance relationships generally dont work. there are exceptions, but if you have issues now, an LDR will put excessive amounts of stress on the relationship.
LDRs can work, but not in this circumstance, I believe.

End it.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:35 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I was married to crazy; it doesn't get better, it only gets worse. Consider it a gift and that you have been blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships