Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:36 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Most of my friends I used to have in college I don't see them anymore ( Married, Moved-out, had kids etc).
So I don't know how many people here have their BF/GF/WIFE/HUSBAND as their only friend.
But my girlfriend is my only friend.
Is it healthy?

Usually any emotional support I get is from my family ( who don't live far at all), my girlfriend, and the friends that I used to have but I don't see them any more.
There were times we would go to the movie theaters together talk about girls, talk about sports, sometimes even when to happy hour, now those days are gone.

As a man when I was younger, I always had difficulty opening up to people as my old childhood, I was bullied alot in the days of middle school and elementary school but during high school and college I have started to open up but only to certain people.

Having Saturday and Sunday off only.
That time is used for only my family and girlfriend.
And when you are a full time employee for 40 hours a week instead of the good ol days of having friends in college its quite never the same.

So is it healthy that my girlfriend is my only friend? I tell her all about my days,how I miss her, and how I can't wait to see her.

But theree are times I like being by self to recharge and whatnot
I feel the same. I work Monday through Friday and I'm "friendly" with some people at work, but I don't hang out with them outside of work so I only consider them work friends. On weekends, I spend most of my time alone unless I am visiting family or going out on dates. If you'd like to make some friends, perhaps you could try a Meetup group or something, but I personally don't think it's weird that you don't have any. You're not the only one. If I had a boyfriend, I wouldn't expect him to entertain me all the time since I don't even like to see people more than once a week anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:47 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Most of my friends I used to have in college I don't see them anymore ( Married, Moved-out, had kids etc).
So I don't know how many people here have their BF/GF/WIFE/HUSBAND as their only friend.
But my girlfriend is my only friend.
Is it healthy?

Usually any emotional support I get is from my family ( who don't live far at all), my girlfriend, and the friends that I used to have but I don't see them any more.
There were times we would go to the movie theaters together talk about girls, talk about sports, sometimes even when to happy hour, now those days are gone.

As a man when I was younger, I always had difficulty opening up to people as my old childhood, I was bullied alot in the days of middle school and elementary school but during high school and college I have started to open up but only to certain people.

Having Saturday and Sunday off only.
That time is used for only my family and girlfriend.
And when you are a full time employee for 40 hours a week instead of the good ol days of having friends in college its quite never the same.

So is it healthy that my girlfriend is my only friend? I tell her all about my days,how I miss her, and how I can't wait to see her.

But theree are times I like being by self to recharge and whatnot
It would help to know more about your girlfriend and her relationship with you.

How long have you been going out? What is her personality like? Does she have friends of her own with whom you both socialize? Does she socialize with you and your family? Or are your dates and get-togethers always strictly one-on-one?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:48 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
You mention college friends and talk about how they have their own lives and such.....but do you really never talk to any of those people at all, ever? Or is it just the usual guy thing where you talk briefly once a month and get together a couple times a year?

I've got good friends that I was in the Army with and grew up with that I only talk to once every 3 or 4 months and get together with once a year or so, but they're good friends that would still be there if I needed as I am there if they need me. Even with my couple best friends I see them once a month or so. It's just how life goes. You get a job and a family (or in your case a girlfriend) and obligations and you just don't get to spend your time hanging out with friends 5 nights a week like when you're younger.

Now if you mean that you literally never talk to anyone ever that you would consider a friend, that might be a bit worse.....
There were some people in college I used to play soccer with directly after class or sometimes we would go to the campus bar and just have a nice chit chat.
Even go to the beach and take up swimming classes etc.
Sometimes it was for a couple of weeks or couple of months depending on the class workload. Or if I was on a date or with my family. It really depended but those were the college days when I was working part time now I work full time now so I don't go to school anymore.
THere are some people here at work that seem interesting to hang out but like I mention most of them are married and have kids so they don't exactly have a lot of time in their hands.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Social outlets are important, as in more than just one. Anybody who has had their SO be the focal point of their social life, and then suddenly finds themselves without an SO knows just how potentially isolating this can be.

I'm not great about building in time for friends...I've never been. I've always been extremely family oriented, and tend to spend most of my free time with family...including but not limited to my husband and kid. But I do have non-family friends, even though I have to be very intentional about maintaining those bonds and put in effort to maintain them.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
Obviously.. if you're questioning yourself..

Old 06-06-2016, 02:03 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free.spirit View Post
It's not healthy because you are putting all the pressure on her to provide for you needs. That can be overwhelming over time and she start backing away or needing space. I been in this situation several times and it can be draining. Not to mention if you are constantly having to say where you are going and getting a guilt trip for doing something without your partner.

One person would chastise me on how quickly I responded with my texts. It only made me want to get away, no-one wants to feel like they are being micromanaged.

Getting a break from your partner can keep your relationship alive and energetic. Are you there hobbies or interests that you have that you could do with other people?
Let's remember that he may not have a lot of needs. I know lots of guys who rarely have phone conversations with their friends - usually it's 60 sec. to arrange some activity where again, there is minimal conversation - only a shared activity. Maybe the OPs definition of friend is more like "best friend". Some people call even acquaintances friends and say they have dozens! No, not really! So it could be a matter of semantics, especially if the OP is pretty introverted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships