Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:44 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,235 times

Advertisements

So I've been dating someone I met for about 3 weeks now.
We're not an "item", per se - at least, not yet - but there was chemistry on the first date. This will be our 4th (or is it 5th?) date, and will be the second time she's coming to my house for dinner (Yes, I'm cooking dinner, as I did last week when she was over.) She did share with me that she was a little apprehensive, 'cause (and this is only my deduction) she has a bit of low self-esteem. Her ex-hubby was an alcoholic and cheated on her; he eventually left her for another woman. She had a bf after her marriage - this ex-bf used to mistreat her, call her a "fat ****", (She is full-figured, but definitely not obese.) She says that she likes my "acting like a gentleman and a real man"; I say, "My dad taught me how to be a man!" I think she knows that I'm into her, and she's reciprocated. We haven't had sex yet, but I'm thinking, be prepared. I'm also trying to convince her that I'm no "drive-by", in that I want to build a relationship with her.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Sounds like you are on the right track and should keep doing what you're doing.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:02 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track and should keep doing what you're doing.
Agreed!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Default Thoughts?

Netflix and Chill.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:13 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Another vulnerable, damaged woman?

Old 06-10-2016, 01:37 AM

914 posts, read 738,363 times
Sounds like things are developing nicely.

PS: What are you cooking??

Old 06-10-2016, 06:17 AM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
I'd be cautious and approach this situation carefully before fully investing your heart in her.

I'm always wary of people that pour out their character flaws and bad relationship past relatively early on in the courtship. Some may think it's refreshing honesty but I look at it differently. The way I look at it, when someone does that, it tells me they are less concerned about their dating partner and more about themselves and almost like a crutch if things don't work out ("don't blame me, look at how badly I was treated in past"). After all there is a reason why they say you should never talk about bad past relationships early on.

Also, this woman has been in two relationships where she hooked up with men who treated her badly. Along with her low self esteem, this can become an issue if she's going into a relationship with the proverbial nice guy. Some may think being super nice to such a woman will make her fall in love with him but not always.

Now before people jump on me for raining on the OP's parade, it's nothing like that. First off this is an open forum and differing opinions both positive and cautious are the norm. Second, I do hope things work out with the two.

Just based on personal experience, these types of people can be a challenge due to the past issues and low self esteem issues.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:47 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'd be cautious and approach this situation carefully before fully investing your heart in her.

I'm always wary of people that pour out their character flaws and bad relationship past relatively early on in the courtship. Some may think it's refreshing honesty but I look at it differently. The way I look at it, when someone does that, it tells me they are less concerned about their dating partner and more about themselves and almost like a crutch if things don't work out ("don't blame me, look at how badly I was treated in past"). After all there is a reason why they say you should never talk about bad past relationships early on.

Also, this woman has been in two relationships where she hooked up with men who treated her badly. Along with her low self esteem, this can become an issue if she's going into a relationship with the proverbial nice guy. Some may think being super nice to such a woman will make her fall in love with him but not always.

Now before people jump on me for raining on the OP's parade, it's nothing like that. First off this is an open forum and differing opinions both positive and cautious are the norm. Second, I do hope things work out with the two.

Just based on personal experience, these types of people can be a challenge due to the past issues and low self esteem issues.
I am treading lightly on this one.

As far as the "Don't blame me....treated badly" cop-out, the way I see it, the past is the past! And I openly express it. I'm not afraid to speak my mind, and if she were to open that can, I'll close it but FAST!!!

Also, her having been with men who mistreated her, I'm kind of screening her to determine exactly what she wants. I've had some "bad boy" past experiences myself, but I like to think that I'm a bit wiser now. I'm being nice, sure, but I do have boundaries. As I've said, we're taking it slowly. If she was not interested, I seriously doubt that she'd be coming over for dinner. I'm making pot roast.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:42 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Another battered woman? No offense but where do you get all these "projects", late night at a bar or at the women's shelter?

Joking aside, seems like you are doing the right thing.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:44 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
I am wondering what happened to the mentally ill shut-in he was banging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships