Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 04:17 PM

458 posts, read 329,326 times

Advertisements

My dad seems to think relationship partners are alot like cars. Every time you want something new to drive, you just get a new car and repeat. Same thing with relationships, when you get tired of one, you get another. My dad says, just keep a good reliable one and make sure you change the oil. Don't get caught up in all these new fancy cars (aka new partners). What do you all think?

1. Are people too picky in relationships and just have the grass is greener syndrome?

2. Can anyone just be happy in one relationship without wanting something/someone else?

3. Most important, do you think one person can meet all of your needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 04:20 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
1. some
2. yes
3. no

Old 06-14-2016, 04:20 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
How many times has your dad been married?

Old 06-14-2016, 04:26 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
My dad seems to think relationship partners are alot like cars. Every time you want something new to drive, you just get a new car and repeat. Same thing with relationships, when you get tired of one, you get another. My dad says, just keep a good reliable one and make sure you change the oil. Don't get caught up in all these new fancy cars (aka new partners). What do you all think?

1. Are people too picky in relationships and just have the grass is greener syndrome?

2. Can anyone just be happy in one relationship without wanting something/someone else?

1. Yes
2. Very difficulty and requires a lot of effort.
3. No, because needs can continually change (ex I don't always know what I want ... so how can I expect someone else to guess what I want?).

Old 06-14-2016, 04:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
1. Are people too picky in relationships and just have the grass is greener syndrome? Yes

2. Can anyone just be happy in one relationship without wanting something/someone else? Yes, I've been in the same marriage for 40 years. Neither of us is perfect, but we forgive, compromise and make it work. I've told her for years, she can't leave cause I'm not breaking in someone new. I've had regular sex the whole time, she's worked hard and made good money most of those years, and she's not fat and keeps herself up. Pretty good in my book.

3. Most important, do you think one person can meet all of your needs? Absolutely not. Wife never was much of a golf or motorcycle buddy. Never will be. Fine with me.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:36 PM

458 posts, read 329,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
How many times has your dad been married?
Hahahaha! Once, but it was short! He has been in a long term relationship for about 12 years. He has no plans to marry her.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:00 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Relationships change just like the weather.

To say yeah, this one will do really depends on her adaptability.

If two people head off in the ocean with a small sail boat it is only a matter of time a storm will test how well they work together. When that storm is over you may wish you had a different partner.

You guys will either work together and battle the storm or you will turn on each other.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:01 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
People find it hard to feel satisfied in general on a daily basis. While one thing may be totally going well another may be suffering, Take that in to the next day and they may be reversed.

Everything in life is in a constant ebb and flow.

A simplistic example:
I love chocolate. offer me some and I would happily accept, now ask me after I have had a full meal or early morning hours when I am trying to get rest and I will assuredly turn you down.

I still love chocolate, but it's not going to satisfy me or my needs at all times. depending on surrounding circumstances and how they in turn affect myself, my desires change drastically.

My love for chocolate is just not applicable in every situation and circumstance, but I still love it and carry a deep fondness for it.

Relationships are not meant to "satisfy" you in terms of filling something you are not happy with regarding yourself or to make up for your own lack of happiness. Which is where so many go wrong and attempt to fill something missing with themselves.

Instead of a companion they seek a codependent

That's not how it works, a relationship can only accompany who you already are.

Last edited by rego00123; 06-14-2016 at 06:30 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 05:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:

I've known people who do. Not everyone does, though

Quote:
Yes, there are people who can.

Quote:
Unlikely, but I guess it would depend on what your needs are and on that one person. Doubtful, though. Good thing you don't HAVE to have all needs in life met by a S/O.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:

Sure, as long as you are not a total flake. And as long as you live your life with a little wisdom.

HBW, your life is pretty much the sum of all your choices. And, judging by your posts on this board, you've made some doozies.

Rather than seek out another relationship, go on sabbatical for a while and sort yourself out as a person. Because the choices you keep making are keeping you from getting what you want in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships