Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 742 times

Advertisements

I have been married to my wife or over three years, but my wife can get serious road rage. By that I mean she can outwardly start cussin others that get in her way. We have a daughter 6 months. It really concerne me. For example a few weeks ago she was driving and some woman cut her off, she immediately rolled down her window, got along side her (her window was down) and she pulled along aside her and yelled out "Learn how to drive ****!!". I told her it was not worth getting upset over and she said "The ***** deserved it!". It really upsets me, what would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,570,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaklonips View Post
I have been married to my wife or over three years, but my wife can get serious road rage. By that I mean she can outwardly start cussin others that get in her way. We have a daughter 6 months. It really concerne me. For example a few weeks ago she was driving and some woman cut her off, she immediately rolled down her window, got along side her (her window was down) and she pulled along aside her and yelled out "Learn how to drive ****!!". I told her it was not worth getting upset over and she said "The ***** deserved it!". It really upsets me, what would you recommend?
Was your little girl in the car at the time?

If so I'd completely understand her response someone else's reckless driving could have caused a collision and put your little girl in harms way...... If honest I'd have done ALOT worse than shout at them

Is it just a realise of anger or something else with her?. But in general I'd remind her of the danger ( you could shout at the wrong person ) and say it's unfair on both you and the little one should anything come from it.

Just speaking to her about this should bring it home to her

Good luck

Old 07-03-2016, 05:43 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,407,732 times
I would tell her that you are concerned for the safety of her and your daughter. It's not unheard of for violence to occur because of a road rage incident. Ask her at the very least to keep the window rolled up and not take aggressive driving actions to retaliate. It would be a good start.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:14 AM

11,414 posts, read 24,520,275 times
I recommend you have a serious talk with her when you're not driving.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:21 AM

720 posts, read 503,136 times
Mod cut.

You know what? As crazy as it might sound, and to use a driving analogy, you might need to turn into the skid. The next time she starts spinning out, spin out a little bit with her. Just be like, "yeah, WTF?! They act like they're running on good vibes instead of gasoline" or something. And that's when you hit her with the "forget them...it's not even worth it". She'll probably calm down then. It'll show you heard her, it annoys you as well, and that her complaints are valid. But if she's upset and you're sitting there like Piglet like "oh d-d-dear", it's gonna make her cowboy up even more because she thinks she's alone in her frustration.

Sometimes being in love means riding shotgun. Don't be afraid to be her partner in crime a little bit. It'll be easier to get her to do the right thing later on if she knows you've got her back.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-03-2016 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Link to vulgar material; not PG-13.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:25 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,740,772 times
Does she have other manifestations of having lashing out/a short fuse?

Often, people who have a lot of pent up frustration that they direct toward strangers also devolve into turning it on family members.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:28 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,570,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Does she have other manifestations of having lashing out/a short fuse?

Often, people who have a lot of pent up frustration that they direct toward strangers also devolve into turning it on family members.
Maybe this is her way of not lashing out at family/friends etc....

Of course I don't agree with it but I've known one in particular that does this to maintain a happy family environment ..... If you see what I mean tablua?

Old 07-03-2016, 06:34 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,654,330 times
The way some people drive it also gets me mad. They are so preoccupied with things it's pathetic. I have to honk the horn now when the light turns green or I would be sitting there all day. I can relate to your wife...

Old 07-03-2016, 06:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,740,772 times
I do, but I unfortunately have experience that people who can't appropriately channel frustration instead escalate in ways that they wouldn't if they were able to properly manage their emotions.

"Well, I scream obscenities at other drivers because it's better than taking out frustration on my kid/spouse and lash out at them, " can easily escalate to, "I punched a hole in the wall/kicked the dog/picked a fight with a stranger at a bar/whatever."

Overall, it's healthier to actually manage your frustration than simply temporarily redirect it. Overall, if you're prone to raging out, get to the bottom of why.

If you have to scream at others in order to"maintain a happy family environment, " is time to explore what the real problems are.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:39 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,524,640 times
She sounds like an absolute nutbag.

I'd hate to have kids with someone like that. Sooner or later, it'll turn on the little kid.

Get her some anger management.

Listen, I have to drive a long way to get to my job. It isn't one or two minutes into my often hour long drive that some idiot does something totally stupid. I could lose my sh** every day all over the place, or I could be an effin' grown-up, drive defensively, and just relax. It's not personal. And just make peace with the idea that most people on this planet are self-absorbed or just can't be perfect every moment of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships