Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:34 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,720 times

Advertisements

I thought this was an interesting article in Forbes that could help some folks with romantic relationships (although the focus of the article isn't romance, I honestly think that this applies to romantic relationships as well). The article claims these are traits that charismatic people (who might not have money, looks, etc) draw people in.

Based on some posts from a few frustrated people here, I think this could be helpful to some. I know I could stand to work on a few of these myself.

Since it's one of those articles that makes you click on an arrow to go page by page, I thought it would be nice to summarize for everyone. Of course, clicking the article will give you more information and detail.

11. Treat other with respect (no matter who they are... waiter, homeless person, boss, lover)
10. Treat others the way those other people want to be treated (not exactly as how you would want to be treated because you have to recognize that other people might now want to be treated the same as you).
9. Find real connections with other people and have genuine interest in others.
8. Focus on people more than anything else and don't obsess with what you think others think of you.
7. Don't dominate conversations and don't brag about yourself.
6. Understand the difference between fact and opinion (I think the point is respecting other people's opinions, even if you don't agree).
5. Are authentic
4. Have integrity and can be trusted
3. Smile
2. Put effort into looking their best (but no so much effort as to be vain)
1. Find reasons to love life and be a positive person

http://www2.forbes.com/entrepreneurs...5&kwp_1=369850

Quote:
Some people, regardless of what they lack—money, looks, or social connections—always radiate with energy and confidence. Even the most skeptical individuals find themselves enamored with these charming personalities...They’re the ones you turn to for help, advice, and companionship... Irresistible people aren’t constantly searching for validation, because they’re confident enough to find it in themselves. There are certain habits they pursue every day to maintain this healthy perspective. Since being irresistible isn’t the result of dumb luck, it’s time to study the habits of irresistible people so that you can use them to your benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I thought this was an interesting article in Forbes that could help some folks with romantic relationships (although the focus of the article isn't romance, I honestly think that this applies to romantic relationships as well). The article claims these are traits that charismatic people (who might not have money, looks, etc) draw people in.

Based on some posts from a few frustrated people here, I think this could be helpful to some. I know I could stand to work on a few of these myself.

Since it's one of those articles that makes you click on an arrow to go page by page, I thought it would be nice to summarize for everyone. Of course, clicking the article will give you more information and detail.

11. Treat other with respect (no matter who they are... waiter, homeless person, boss, lover)
10. Treat others the way those other people want to be treated (not exactly as how you would want to be treated because you have to recognize that other people might now want to be treated the same as you).
8. Focus on people more than anything else and don't obsess with what you think others think of you.
6. Understand the difference between fact and opinion (I think the point is respecting other people's opinions, even if you don't agree).
5. Are authentic
3. Smile

11. I always try to treat people with respect, until they give me a reason not to
10. See number 11
9. I have been able to bond with a core group and really try to contribute to their lives actively
8. Working on this one.
7. I rarely dominate conversations and I don't really brag.
6. I won't shy away from sharing an unpopular opinion but insist it is just my opinion.
5. I have no trouble with this one.
4. People have always trusted me with sensitive matters. The fact I worked in finance for so long hasn't hurt.
3. This one is going to take a lot of work, I don't have a naturally pleasing smile and I'm not big on smiling anyway.
2. I always try to dress and groom well
1. Positive person? I'm never going to be a fountain of positivity but I'm trying not to be such a cynic because I have had to deal with a couple of cynics in my new job and God, they are exhausting to be around and I hate to think I was like that.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:16 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,720 times
I wouldn't worry about being everything on the list Dissenter. After all, you want to be true to yourself. But if there are a few things you would like to change about yourself on the list, it won't hurt. And it sounds like you got a lot of them spot on! Like I said, there are things I need to work on and want to work on too.

And in the end, this whole article is really #6 after all... Someone's opinion. I just thought it was interesting and would be good to share.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:28 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,535,624 times
Quote:

5. Are authentic
3. Smile

Well I'm impressed!!!!.... You're writing my autobiography already!! ( ) LOL

No seriously though ^^^^ is what myself and others have SCREAMED about a thousand times on this board...... Simply because it's spot on and absolutely the most important part of dating IMO

Honestly I can't think of many posts that I agree with more..... Thank you for posting this bella.

Repped a thousand and one times my love

Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
1. Positive person? I'm never going to be a fountain of positivity but I'm trying not to be such a cynic because I have had to deal with a couple of cynics in my new job and God, they are exhausting to be around and I hate to think I was like that.
Right on and good for you!

It is tough not to be cynical in the world we live in. If you're not well off and taken care of by others, life is a constant roller coaster ride with more downs than ups it seems. The most effective thing you can do from my experience is turn the world off around you.

Turn off the news, where most of the stories covered are of the bad in the world.

Turn off Facebook, where everyone is busy trying to make their lives look better than yours.

Turn off the web forums, where you'll seemingly encounter the opinion of every nut job in the world.

Instead...

Read the books and magazines that you like.

Listen to the music that you like.

Play the games that you like.

Eat the foods that you like.

Get outside and exercise (even just a walk) as often as possible.

When I've taken these small steps in the past, my life seemed so much better despite the fact that all of the things that brought it down still existed. Not being exposed to the negativity makes a huge difference in how you perceive the world and your place in it.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:38 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
These are all nice things, but I'm not sure they'll make anyone irresistible across the board. What people like in other people is really variable. These are all good traits, IMO, and the list is admirable in order to have integrity and basically be a good person.

p.s. I'm a little bummed that "giant cans" isn't on the list.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
These are all nice things, but I'm not sure they'll make anyone irresistible across the board. What people like in other people is really variable. These are all good traits, IMO, and the list is admirable in order to have integrity and basically be a good person.

p.s. I'm a little bummed that "giant cans" isn't on the list.
Giant cans?...... Or shouldn't I ask?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:44 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Giant cans?...... Or shouldn't I ask?
It's an old-fashioned euphemism for...headlights.

And no, you shouldn't ask what that one is either!

Old 07-21-2016, 10:45 AM

89 posts, read 86,289 times
Quote:

5. Are authentic
3. Smile

I have mostly lived life following those 11 points.
I know guys that follow 1 or two of those points.

Following those points doesnt help you be more successful dating if you dont have "it".
If you have "it", people will date you.
The article should read, "for those people who struggle to date, find your version of 'it' and you will improve your dating life."
those 11 points are just called being a decent human being. Being decent isnt good enough. You need to be more

Old 07-21-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It's an old-fashioned euphemism for...headlights.

And no, you shouldn't ask what that one is either!

I'm sure I'm allowed and trusted?

( lol )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships