Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:47 PM

97 posts, read 90,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
More than likely, he is not ready for marriage and doesn't know when, or even if, he will be. He probably doesn't like talking about it because it threatens him with the fact that you MAY leave him.

I doubt he thinks the relationship is not important or that he doesn't value you.

He just feels (and rightly so in some respects) threatened by the idea of marriage, especially in the near future.
What's crazy is I feel like all of my worries are very normal for my age and for how long we've been dating. I just want to know that he's dating me with an open mind/heart to any possibility. Heck I'd honestly be fine if we continued this way being honest and close to each other and if things don't work out for some reason I could accept it.

I don't like feeling used. Like I'm just a warm body
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 02:48 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
If you want to maintain a healthy dialog with him, you also need to entertain other options other than just marriage. You don't have to ultimately agree to those other options, but they should be on the table. The discussion should be around options and motivations, rather than simply getting married or not.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauwie View Post
I honestly doubt it was THAT harsh. I'm sure he has feelings for you. He just doesn't appear to have the same feelings about a future with you.

You are young. No need to get terribly pessimistic.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:49 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
What's crazy is I feel like all of my worries are very normal for my age and for how long we've been dating. I just want to know that he's dating me with an open mind/heart to any possibility. Heck I'd honestly be fine if we continued this way being honest and close to each other and if things don't work out for some reason I could accept it.

But haven't you already covered that terrain with him? Didn't he make it clear? Isn't that why you've been avoiding the subject since that blow-up?

Old 07-21-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Are you open to any possibility yourself, such as never getting married? You can't expect him to be open if you are not open.

How does not getting married translate into being just being used as a warm body? You should be basing getting used or not on other criteria than getting married.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Here are a couple of questions for you:

How would you feel about the two of you getting married, having a children and you working while he stays home and takes care of the children?

How would you feel about signing a prenuptial agreement?
I would probably be good with that. I don't think men and women have to stick to old gender roles. Would love a present and active dad.

Id be fine signing a prenuptial. Why?

Old 07-21-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I would probably be good with that. I don't think men and women have to stick to old gender roles. Would love a present and active dad.

Id be fine signing a prenuptial. Why?
His fear around marriage might actually be fears around divorce and the consequences of divorce. This is a fear of many guys that many women downplay because they don't want to entertain the fact that divorce is a very high probability for them.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
That wasn't what I meant with my question. How do you feel about having children with someone to whom you are not married?
I feel like as a woman that's not what I'm supposed to say I want. But yes if I was with a man I loved and I felt like he would be a good dad and partner, I would be down.

I never gave this much thought since its not the "ideal" but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I feel like as a woman that's not what I'm supposed to say I want. But yes if I was with a man I loved and I felt like he would be a good dad and partner, I would be down.

I never gave this much thought since its not the "ideal" but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.
What are you reasons for "needing" to be married?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
What are you reasons for "needing" to be married?
Society. Family expectations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships