Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 01:07 AM

7 posts, read 13,877 times

Advertisements

I've been dating my boyfriend for about 6 months now and for the most part it's fantastic! He can always make me laugh and I enjoy spending every moment with him. I've met all of his friends and get along well with them. I also stay at his place nearly every weekend and since he lives at home, I've met his parents and we also get along great. The issue is that the relationship feels like a FWB relationship to me. It's not that there's another girl or anything like that- i am confident that he would never cheat on me. The issue is that the relationship lacks romance. We don't use pet names (I'll call him babe sometimes but he never says anything like it back unless he is making a joke). He never complements me, not even little things like my hair looks nice today. We don't kiss much except as a hello/goodbye kiss or when we are having sex. After sex, there is no cuddling regardless of whether it was amazing or kind of bad. He just turns over and watches a show on his cell phone. He's 21 and I'm his first girlfriend/kiss ever so I'm not sure how much of this is just general ignorance. He does open up to me about things in his life but he never expresses his feelings about us. I don't even really mind the lack of affection since i'm not a very touchy-feely person myself. I just want some validation, for him to say SOMETHING, ANYTHING that indicates his feelings. For christ sakes even a lame hallmark card would make me feel good at this point. I am always such a confident person that I don't know how to handle this insecurity. I don't want to feel like i'm ****ing my best friend, I want to feel like I'm in a relationship with my boyfriend. What do I do?

p.s. i don't mean to make him sound like an insensitive jerk, he's very nice and good to me just not in that romantic/sweet affection-giving kind of way

Last edited by ak8080; 07-25-2016 at 01:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 03:29 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Talk to him, tell him how you feel used and see what his reaction is. If he cannot change it may be because you expect more maturity from him. Unfortunately first bf/gf kind of scenarios are more for learning what needs to be done in a relationship. I always maintain that men like to know what to do and if it does not get the sparks flying for you, then lay down the law a bit. Say what you want and make sure you get it. If you dont them move on to someone more mature.

Alternatively just enjoy the FWB relationship aspect. I am sure many men would do that if in the same situation and wait for someone else more suitable come along. No-one says you have to stay forever with an unsatisfying relationship. Just make sure you dont get pregnant otherwise you will be stuck and disadvantaged with children.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:10 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
If you feel taken for granted now, it isn't going to get better as things go on, it will get worse. Here's an idea I've applied and I think its very helpful. Try not to read into his statements and actions, filling in blanks. Take them at face value. From what you said, it sounds like you feel like you're being treated like a hired woman. That could very well be the case. To me it sounds like you're just being used for sex.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:18 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I sure hope it's not this same guy

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-break-up.html

Old 07-25-2016, 06:32 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak8080 View Post
After sex, there is no cuddling regardless of whether it was amazing or kind of bad. He just turns over and watches a show on his cell phone.
Even most FBs and FWBs get treated better than this. This is just him being an _______.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:25 AM

I'm just not sure how to go about the conversation. I know he sounds insensitive (which is exactly the word I'd use) but I really don't think he knows that he's being hurtful and since it's more of his inaction than anything else I'm not sure how to address the issue. I don't want to be like, "Hey! can you be more thoughtful?" lol because that kind of defeats the purpose.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It is not the same person. I broke up with my last boyfriend over the distance and started seeing this guy shortly after. I just have a knack for attracting virgins apparently. But unlike my last relationship, I really do think I am in love with him which makes this even harder because I can't help but feel that I am more attached than he is. It's almost a role reversal of last time's situation. I know this guy cares about me, it's not like he gives me the cold shoulder or excludes me from his life but he doesn't show affection like I need him to.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
So you're staying weekends with him at his parents' house???

Old 07-25-2016, 09:07 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak8080 View Post
I'm just not sure how to go about the conversation. I know he sounds insensitive (which is exactly the word I'd use) but I really don't think he knows that he's being hurtful and since it's more of his inaction than anything else I'm not sure how to address the issue. I don't want to be like, "Hey! can you be more thoughtful?" lol because that kind of defeats the purpose.
Simple. "I would like to talk about having more affection in our relationship."

Old 07-25-2016, 09:13 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
You may have to come to the realization that its how he is. Dont go into a relationship and then later on want to change things about him. You could talk with him and tell him what you want and he might do it for a short while, but likely will revert back to how he is.

Men often have different ways of showing their affection. My SO is much like your boyfriend. No real affection. Wouldnt dream of getting me a card. But he takes out the garbage without me asking (we have a farm so its a lot of garbage), gets on the mower when needed, feeds my critters so I can sleep in a little, appreciates when I cook.

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships