Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times

Advertisements

Your friend should have sought marriage counseling - like two years ago!!!
For her to say "Hurry up and finish" would have been a deal-breaker for me! Sorry, but it's either bedroom reconciliation or we're finished! I'm not condoning his having an affair, but if his wife won't give him the necessary physical loving, then what else can he do? Me, I'd put my foot down: it's either a marriage counselor or a divorce lawyer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 12:36 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by periklees View Post
Another vote for the man's opinion.

Really, this isn't that difficult to understand. It's biological and consistent with the general theory that men are wired to be hornier (testosterone) than women. (Yawn to the "women can be just as horny" crowd, yeah okay).

So logically, men are going to have the opinion that if they are not getting fed at home, go hunt for dinner to take care of that hunger pang.
The lack of sex isn't the problem in most deteriorating marriages- its everything else.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:50 AM

102 posts, read 73,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
The lack of sex isn't the problem in most deteriorating marriages- its everything else.
a friend of mine once shared the marriage advice her mom gave her: marital problems begin in the bedroom.

Sounds odd in a sense, but you know how forgiving you can be of other marital problems if your are getting your sexual needs met... at least for me

Old 08-30-2016, 01:51 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by periklees View Post
a friend of mine once shared the marriage advice her mom gave her: marital problems begin in the bedroom.

Sounds odd in a sense, but you know how forgiving you can be of other marital problems if your are getting your sexual needs met... at least for me
I sorta agree, that there isn't s problem that can't be solved in bed.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:19 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
It sounds like they've found a solution that works for them. It would be better if they'd openly reached an agreement to have an open marriage, though. Or even if he'd informed her that he was unilaterally opening the marriage, and she could do what she wished about that. Still, given that she unilaterally broke the marriage vows first, there is no marriage left except legally, so IMO he is perfectly justified to do what he's doing. If they could divorce, I'd suggest that as an even better option.

While I didn't cheat in my sexless first marriage, I wouldn't have felt any guilt if I had. She ended the marriage in all but name first. I eventually ended it legally.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:46 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
I'm surprised that "women are appalled" that a young guy would not tolerate a sexless marriage.

But perhaps they are ignorant about the sex drive of a normal male. For guys, the need for sex is like the need for air. Nature made it that way to ensure the survival of the species.

However, if their arrangement works for them, good for them.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:50 AM

531 posts, read 384,520 times
The wife should be happy that he's found someone else to have sex with since she doesnt want to. Serves her right.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:30 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Your friend should have sought marriage counseling - like two years ago!!!
For her to say "Hurry up and finish" would have been a deal-breaker for me! Sorry, but it's either bedroom reconciliation or we're finished! I'm not condoning his having an affair, but if his wife won't give him the necessary physical loving, then what else can he do? Me, I'd put my foot down: it's either a marriage counselor or a divorce lawyer!
Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
The wife should be happy that he's found someone else to have sex with since she doesnt want to. Serves her right.
Everything she does I would use that phrase!

At dinner: "Will you hurry up and finish!"
Doing laundry: "Will you hurry up and finish!"
When she's in the bathroom: "Will you hurry up and finish!"
When she's signing the divorce papers I handed her:
"Will you hurry up and finish!!"

Old 08-30-2016, 06:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I've seen it goes both ways, where the husband has no interest and the wife steps out. Surprised? No. Appalled? People do done crazy [Mod cut.] when they're starved for affection, but I believe the best policy is to be honest about what you're doing and be prepared to face the consequences.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-30-2016 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,506 times
Thanks for the replies. And to clarify, he's not young. He's in his early 50's, and has been married over 20 years. This happened a little after the 10 year mark. He abstained for maybe 2-3 years. Although I understand the "try to have an open relationship" comment, I don't know too many couples that would go for that. His needs are clearly being met by the other woman and him and his wife still have a cordial relationship and enjoy their children and seeing them accomplish things in life. A divorce would ruin them financially and set them up for a terrible retirement. I did mention to him about having the conversation but know he has expressed his frustration with her (but they never really had the sit down talk). I didn't suggest the marriage counselor because frankly, I think they are a waste of time (my wife and I went to one once in our life, and pretty much solved things without her help...we both thought she was useless and realized we were just not doing the things we used to do ....taking vacations, date nights, etc.)

For those that suggested the marriage counselor route, take a moment and be the counselor. How would you respond if she simply said that sex was painful for her after the birth of their children and that she simply wasn't interested in it any more but that she enjoys all other aspects of their marriage? That was actually one of the reasons he believed to be the issue (he thought she was pretty ripped apart after the 2nd child was born and had an extremely painful time trying to deliver that ended in a C section)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships