Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Yeah, the words "nerd" and "geek" don't mean the same thing they used to. It's used as a term of endearment today, almost a prized quality.

When I was in school, no one was saying, "Oh, I have a weakness for nerdy/geeky guys. They're my kryptonite!"
I always liked nerdy guys. Kind of went hand in hand with being a nerdy girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 11:01 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
No, not desirable "i love nerds' sentiment of today, they were the disconnected and un-diagnosed in our day

To the OP though, no it wouldn't bother me, I couldn't have an SO whom I didn't have crazy chemistry with, including everything about him or his life. How did he get to the boyfriend stage if you were unsure that this was acceptable?
Either it bothers you and hes not your boyfriend, or you accept it and he is....
Exactly.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I always liked nerdy guys. Kind of went hand in hand with being a nerdy girl.
Okay, Tabula, I'm curious as to what it is about you that you consider nerdy?

And do you mind if I ask how old you are? I'm thinking you're maybe a decade younger than I am (52).

Old 09-18-2016, 11:17 PM

I'm 39.

I was a Renaissance festival-going, Shakespearean sonnet-memorizing, hippie-dress-wearing, hair so long I could sit on it band nerd and theatre kid who knew everything about Henry VIII's wives, the Salem witch trials, Wicca, who studied Latin and playwriting independent study because my school offered neither. And happily so.

Not probably the pinnacle of nerdiness some places, but in a tiny rural Midwestern high school, everything but football, cheerleading, and possibly hunting was nerd territory. I was basically a private college humanities major four years early. I liked guys like me. Football players didn't interest me.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I'm 39.

I was a Renaissance festival-going, Shakespearean sonnet-memorizing, hippie-dress-wearing, hair so long I could sit on it band nerd and theatre kid who knew everything about Henry VIII's wives, the Salem witch trials, Wicca, who studied Latin and playwriting independent study because my school offered neither. And happily so.

Not probably the pinnacle of nerdiness some places, but in a tiny rural Midwestern high school, everything but football, cheerleading, and possibly hunting was nerd territory. I was basically a private college humanities major four years early. I liked guys like me. Football players didn't interest me.
Okay, I can see that standing out. That wasn't me, but I didn't care about football players either, or the student body president.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:29 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
I'm 39.

I would have never in a million years guess any of this about you. You most certainly don't come off this way on the forum. LOL.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:29 PM

Our student body president actually WAS a band geek/theatre kid. I was never attracted to him, though. He was very Alex P. Keaton.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Our student body president actually WAS a band geek/theatre kid. I was never attracted to him, though. He was very Alex P. Keaton.
lol! I could neeeever be with an Alex P. Keaton, cute as a button though he was. lol

Old 09-18-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I would have never in a million years guess any of this about you. You most certainly don't come off this way on the forum. LOL.
Hah, I'm actually still interested in all those things. I just finished a summer sonnet-writing communiversity class, have choir practice tomorrow with an early music group and my husband (who was a teen D&D player and pretty much exclusively reads Terry Pratchett and Harry Turtledove when he reads fiction) and I will probably go to the Renaissance festival this weekend.

I don't dress like a Stevie Nicks album cover anymore (at least most of the time), but I did in hs and college.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:36 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You guys are the cool hip "nerds" not true nerds, at least the definition that I grew up with. The odd ball kid that was socially out of step with greasy hair and thick glasses and didn't know how to function properly around other people. I'm not sure where and when nerd and geeks became hip......
Isn't that a dork? Like the character in Lucas, or Wayne Szalinski, Garth Algar, Goonies kids, Steve Urkel, etc.?

Quote:
A true hardcore nerd/geek isn't cool AT ALL.
Eh. You're thinking geek/nerd from, what, the 80s? Sure, nerds and geeks weren't cool then, but consider a lot has changed since then. Are you expecting to see kids with BCGs and high waters and poorly matched clothes? Lol

My first husband fit the classic definition of nerd/geek complete with social awkwardness, BCGs in the military, introversion, and plain-looking clothes. He was a band geek with, like, one or two friends. Of course, he doesn't look like that now. He's no less nerdy or geeky. He still collects TMNT, Legos and Star Wars stuff.

And my now-husband was a total geek and nerd in his youth. He wasn't socially inept, but he was awkward at times, painfully shy, total introvert. Magic the Gathering, D&D, SNES, comics, Star Wars, Star Trek, fantasy and sci-fi books & films, etc. From the pictures I've seen, he wore high tops.

When I say nerd/geek, I'm referring to specific personality traits and characteristics, or interests/hobbies. Not style of dress, glasses, hygiene, because these factors are dependent on many things like generation, socioeconomic class, changes in fashion, culture, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships