Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 05:48 AM

50 posts, read 51,980 times

Advertisements

Just curious what you people think about dating a woman who is getting a divorce but it's not finalized yet. In this situation, the girl said they've been growing apart for years and her husband cheated on her multiple times and told her he loves someone else. Her family also hates her soon to be ex I'm assuming bc he couldn't stay faithful. My gut tells me to remain friends until their divorce is final. She wants to sell their house and have it resolved by the end of the year. Thoughts? Experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 06:16 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Has she even filed for divorce?

I met/went out with dozens of men who were separated and going through the divorce process, and none of the men I met, including the never married and divorced, expressed concern about dating me before my divorce was finalized. My ex and I lived in different states, and I eventually moved across the country.

My now-husband certainly didn't have a problem with it.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:28 AM

352 posts, read 234,263 times
If they have filed and/or have paperwork in the system, which I assume she has based on your description ......then it is probably pretty solid that they will follow through. Keep in mind it may get sticky and time consuming ....like years, to finalize. But it probably has no bearing on her dating life or feelings towards you. Don't allow yourself to be one the emotional dumping ground for her over it....and you'll probably be OK.

FWIW, mine was one of those that took years to finalize and during that time I dated a lot. I kept it a private matter and didn't talk about it or involve any of them whatsoever. For the most part it worked out well that way.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:30 AM

50 posts, read 51,980 times
She didn't file yet. She just found out about the cheating a month or so ago. I asked her about getting separated and she said she's just gonna file for divorce at the end of the year. I guess they have to wait in the house sale to figure out assets I'm not sure.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:42 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,476,314 times
Yes, and yes. They'd have to be physically separated, with - IMO - no chance of reconciliation. Beyond that, I'd decide based on individual circumstances and what we each wanted from dating. I'd be much more careful if my goal were to find a long term relationship, as someone in this situation is less likely to be ready for one.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:51 AM

352 posts, read 234,263 times
Most likely, the division of assets will take much longer.

Without actual paperwork in the system, it can fall either way instantly. Exercise due caution. She may (??) be looking for something on the side only, so if that is not your thing , keep it on your radar. Either way, don't get involved in the actual mess.....and I hope you're dating other women at the same time.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:51 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
I would not date a woman that is married. Period. Legally Separated, thinking about it, or filed and "in the process" is not the same as being 'divorced'. I also have rule to not date women fresh out of a divorce; don't care about 'we been living apart and haven't been in love for years, yada yada' - you're still technically married.

There's so many other single people out in the world, why get caught up in the drama.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:58 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden17 View Post
She didn't file yet. She just found out about the cheating a month or so ago. I asked her about getting separated and she said she's just gonna file for divorce at the end of the year. I guess they have to wait in the house sale to figure out assets I'm not sure.
There's a possibility she is only 'revenge dating' at this point.
Tread carefully.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
No because they're married. I do not attempt to date women who are married or have boyfriend's it's a respect thing.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:21 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Don't date separated people. They are still married and still have all kinds of legal ties. I would date a person whom was divorced for a few yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships