Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:05 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,580,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
So what was the chant?

"I think I can.... I think I can... I know I can... I know I can!"

Actually, I appreciate your story. I had similar thoughts in my life.

It's such a load off of you when you stop with others and just focus on yourself. I too had to let go and just live MY life and let others do whatever it is they are doing.
Its more like, I am responsible for myself type of deal. cleanse your words/ thoughts. What you are looking for is inside you.

It does not focus on God at all. Far from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

Now I will tell you upfront if you are not a Christian and you are a radical feminist you will not be able to apply any of this to your life.
Any book that helps anyone is a good book.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:54 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Its more like, I am responsible for myself type of deal. cleanse your words/ thoughts. What you are looking for is inside you.

It does not focus on God at all. Far from it.
Yeah, sometime ago I thought 'they can't talk or act like that to me!'

However, it's how we deal with what is thrown our way.

I haven't heard of a sailor cussing out the wind, waves and rain as if to make it change to better his trip. He just adjusts his sails to cope with the storm and continues on. It's pointless to try and make things around you do what you think should be done. It doesn't work like that. Moreover, for the sailor to grumble about something that broke during the storm when it's now sunny and calm is not good either.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Moreover, for the sailor to grumble about something that broke during the storm when it's now sunny and calm is not good either.
This is SOOO true. When I was going through this 16 months of non-verbal passive aggressive fight, I was constantly thinking back on how many things he did wrong. I was constantly thinking why is this happening to me. Dwell in self pity etc.

When I started focusing more on how to make things better for myself, I realised I have a lot of anger in me. Not because of the reason we fought but from much before. Much much before. I constantly kept thinking back....I had to come to a point when I realised I cant have these hangups if I have want really move on.

So yes, this journey took a while because I needed to really process everything.

I also went back to visit my parents for 3 months. I took the kids with me. I think the distance helped too. I left after we made peace with his approval. He realised what its like if I leave him for good. I realised what it would to kids if I left him. When I saw him after 3 months, I was very happy; it surprised me. I didnt think I would be happy to see him but I really was very happy to see him. So was he. So yes, perhaps there is that affection still left somewhere deep in the heart.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:20 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,475,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
I am my world. They are a part of it. A big part, yes, but still a part.
I am OK now. I am happy now; now I know that I am the only one responsible for my happiness/unhappiness (not him; he is responsible for his own) and if there is anyone who can change it, its me.
I am so so happy for you!!! I remember you and I told you many times to walk, that he didn't respect you. I am so glad he has turned around now that you have found yourself! {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

Old 09-30-2016, 11:22 AM

48,625 posts, read 35,078,116 times
Quote:
Yeah, sometime ago I thought 'they can't talk or act like that to me!'

However, it's how we deal with what is thrown our way.

I haven't heard of a sailor cussing out the wind, waves and rain as if to make it change to better his trip. He just adjusts his sails to cope with the storm and continues on. It's pointless to try and make things around you do what you think should be done. It doesn't work like that. Moreover, for the sailor to grumble about something that broke during the storm when it's now sunny and calm is not good either.

Obviously you haven't been watching Black Sails.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-30-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I am so so happy for you!!! I remember you and I told you many times to walk, that he didn't respect you. I am so glad he has turned around now that you have found yourself! {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}
Thank you so much
I, of course, remember you too

Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,439,601 times
Good for you two I love seeing someone that not only listens to sound advice but also comes back to update.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Good for you two I love seeing someone that not only listens to sound advice but also comes back to update.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:29 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,291,133 times
Quote:
So what was the chant?

"I think I can.... I think I can... I know I can... I know I can!"

Actually, I appreciate your story. I had similar thoughts in my life.

It's such a load off of you when you stop with others and just focus on yourself. I too had to let go and just live MY life and let others do whatever it is they are doing.

Here's Tina Turner chanting the chant she's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeSrcsnyGRk

Mantra chanting has been demonstrated to have very positive effects (mind over matter) This is an ancient practice still used today by many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships