Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it bother you if wife or husband slept in separate bed because of snoring?
Yes, it would bother me. 7 8.64%
It might bother me a little 14 17.28%
Wouldn't bother me at all 60 74.07%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:55 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,308 times

Advertisements

My husband ruins my sleep with his snoring so I've been sleeping on the couch a lot lately. If we ever get a bigger house I want my own bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 03:51 AM

1,080 posts, read 838,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
Would it bother you if wife slept in separate beds because of your snoring?
No. I would find a way to address my snoring if I wanted to continue sleeping with my spouse! I would also do it for my own health. If I'm snoring enough to keep someone else awake, then I'm also not getting restful sleep myself.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:14 AM

914 posts, read 738,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Your last line made me LOL, that was funny! My dad has snored like a bear all his adult life and was as kids had to come up with something for the times we were traveling or camping - we discovered that the tsk sound one makes by clicking their tongue against the roof of the mouth in rapid succession, always stopped the snoring, but he slept through it.
Ugh that's just given me flashbacks. Unfortunately us kids never found a way to stop our father from snoring when on holidays

I voted for "Wouldn't bother me at all" as I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of being kept awake by snoring. It ain't fun.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:41 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Is snoring bad for your heart, or apnea? (which frequently comes with snoring) He snores, but no apnea; I don't snore, but have apnea if I sleep on my back.

My husband snores and he never used to. I just grab ear plugs and put them in. I won't wake him because he has work, and our bed is so darn comfortable and the room is the darkest, so I won't leave.
Apnea is bad for the heart. When you stop breathing due to a blocked airway, your body gives you a jolt of adrenaline to wake you enough to unblock your airway. Do that 40 to 60 times per hour every night and you can eventually develop atrial fibrillation. The irregular heartbeat puts you at very high stroke risk. A big fraction of people who land in memory care units got there due to vascular dementia caused by a bunch of mini strokes. So apnea->afib->strokes->dementia is the biggest health risk. Something like 10% of the population has apnea problems and it becomes more common with age as the throat muscles lose muscle tone. The time to deal with it is before the irregular heartbeat thing happens.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:02 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
There have been plenty of couch nights.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:43 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
I snore sometimes I have allergies and if he snores it's fine with me.
If I snore like a bear,I understand him leaving the room or vice versa.
So far no man has left the bedroom because of my snoring.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:19 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
Would it bother you if wife slept in separate beds because of your snoring?
I'd rather sleep in separate beds anyway, so definitely would not bother me.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:21 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Is snoring bad for your heart, or apnea? (which frequently comes with snoring) He snores, but no apnea; I don't snore, but have apnea if I sleep on my back.

My husband snores and he never used to. I just grab ear plugs and put them in. I won't wake him because he has work, and our bed is so darn comfortable and the room is the darkest, so I won't leave.
Yeah me too, now. Really pisses me off , as sleeping on my back is the most comfortable for me. But now I sleep on side or stomach.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:08 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Nope. No problem at all. Sleep is precious and necessary for ongoing good health.
Several studies have been done that have shown that spouses who sleep apart actually sleep better. Spouses tend to unknowingly disturb one another's sleep via snoring, tossing and turning, bathroom breaks, insomnia, and various other causes. My wife and I are going through that right now. I just had a painful orthopedic shoulder surgery and am wearing a stiff sling the size of a Barcalounger 24-7 on my left arm, which I'll have to wear four more weeks. Because of the angle of the sling, sleeping in bed with her is uncomfortable, but sleeping on the recliner feels much better since I can rest the sling on the chair's armrest. So we agreed she would sleep in bed alone and I would sleep on the recliner until the instrument of torture was removed.

We've been sleeping apart for a couple of days now. I asked her how she'd been sleeping. She reluctantly admitted she'd been sleeping even better than when we slept together. I'm a restless sleeper who wakes up very early, she falls asleep later, we both snore sometimes, I'm very hot natured, and she's cold natured, and apparently all these factors were interfering with us sleeping well together more than we thought. There's nothing wrong with married couples sleeping apart. It doesn't mean you love each other any less; only that you need to rest and sleeping separately works better for the both of you.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:10 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
No, I actually prefer sleeping alone. Also, I can't sleep if someone is snoring, so I'd understand why.
I know a few couples who have separate bedrooms due to snoring, opposite sleep schedules, etc. They say it works great for them and they all sleep so much better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships