Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 08:50 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times

Advertisements

Good morning all,

I have a question- one in which the guys on base have discussed to great lengths.

Would you send your wife to a concert alone? One hour in a half drive each away? Factors- she doesn't enjoy driving at night; concert time 2000 (8pm). Driving in New York can become overwhelming and she's not well versed on the area.

In totality 4.5 hour drive to New York to include parking round-trip, after sunset. Insane traffic of NY and uncertainly pertaining to location of venue.

Any thoughts...i.e. Strong ideal, bad or good..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 08:53 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
The answer is no.
If I couldn't go with her, I'd insist that she go with friends. Safety in numbers!

Old 11-21-2016, 08:54 AM

531 posts, read 384,006 times
I would not be comfortable with her going in those conditions.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:05 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Why would you be "sending" her anywhere? Does she want to go? Is she able to read a map and/or follow GPS directions? Can she take the train?

If you are using the word "send" to mean "let" then that is a whole other discussion. I don't ask my SO permission to go places by myself.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:10 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Good morning all,

I have a question- one in which the guys on base have discussed to great lengths.

Would you send your wife to a concert alone? One hour in a half drive each away? Factors- she doesn't enjoy driving at night; concert time 2000 (8pm). Driving in New York can become overwhelming and she's not well versed on the area.

In totality 4.5 hour drive to New York to include parking round-trip, after sunset. Insane traffic of NY and uncertainly pertaining to location of venue.

Any thoughts...i.e. Strong ideal, bad or good..
Lots of moving parts in this scenario, but, no.
If she really wanted to go all that much I would go with her. If I really HATED the concert I would take her and drop her off and entertain myself while she enjoyed her concert. Dinner afterwards.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:12 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,614 times
I've been to several concerts alone and I live in Chicago. I don't see the problem. What's the big deal? In fact just a few weeks ago I drove myself to a concert that was over an hour away and everything was fine. I had a blast.

She's an adult so why would you have to give your permission for her do anything? She can't make her own decisions? Are you her husband or her father?

Old 11-21-2016, 11:56 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
I've been to several concerts alone and I live in Chicago. I don't see the problem. What's the big deal? In fact just a few weeks ago I drove myself to a concert that was over an hour away and everything was fine. I had a blast.

She's an adult so why would you have to give your permission for her do anything? She can't make her own decisions? Are you her husband or her father?
The question surfaced from a colleagues . The opinions/ views varied. Said person would like to attend the concert to see her favorite songstress. The ticket in question sits around a grand in price to include a backstage pass to meet her childhood idol.

As to be expected the variables blur the lines of safety and practicality.

Perhaps , I've formulated the original post imperfectly.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:08 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Factors- she doesn't enjoy driving at night; concert time 2000 (8pm). Driving in New York can become overwhelming and she's not well versed on the area.
Get her a hotel in town, a shuttle to the hotel, and back. She can take a cab to the concert and back.

For the kind of money they are going to drop, make it a trip of a lifetime and splurge on your wife.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
"Send" her? Not sure what that means.

Anyway, if she wanted to go, she should go.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:16 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
I understood "send her" to mean the spouse is buying the ticket as a gift for his wife.
If the spouse is concerned, the suggestion to go with her to the location and find something else to do while she's in the concert is a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships